The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlefront Vs. Old Glory

+4
luis the young
rokassan
Kyle
Warbird
8 posters

Go down

Battlefront Vs. Old Glory Empty Battlefront Vs. Old Glory

Post by Warbird Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 am

I been looking into starting a second army over my winter break. I was thinking tank company but at $60 a box from Battlefront for 5 tanks it starts to get pricey for anything other than a king tiger list. I was looking at Old Glory miniatures and it seems that they run about $22 for 3 so for $6 more than battlefront I can get 9 tanks seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. But I was wondering if there is a huge quality difference or any other catch that makes those tanks so much less expansive?

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Battlefront Vs. Old Glory Empty Re: Battlefront Vs. Old Glory

Post by Kyle Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 am

Old Glory stuff is good, don't worry about it. Battlefronts infantry generally looks better sculpt wise though, but they are so tiny it's not very noticeable on the gaming table.

There are some slight differences in sizes between all the 15mm companies, but as long as all your vehicless of the same kind are from the same manufacturer, no one will notice a difference on the table.

Can save lot of money going with other historical mini companies, the one thing Battlefront has over almost all of them, is that they have a wide selection including variants that other companies might not be making.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 am

http://www.warweb.com/15mm-miniatures-world-war-c-70_138_1417_413.html

Here you go. The warweb. They sell Old glory at 40% off.

The link below is the same site, but the Quality casting mini's...20% off.
http://www.warweb.com/quality-casting-wwii-c-70_153_420.html

I have (6) S-35's from Old Glory and French Infantry mixed with my battlefront french infantry and armor. They match well and the Old Glory infantry look outstanding. 50 troops for $8.50. Cant beat it and as I said the sculpt is great. Mix and match as you need...we are all broke mutherfuckers and need good deals.

Quality casting (as far as French go) have a bigger selection.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:35 am

Oh yeah, Old Glory tanks are hollow cast. You cant magnetize the turrets, but who cares. Im sure somebody has a suggestion as to a solution to this.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Wow thanks a lot guys. at 50 infantry for 8.50 this puts making any army in a totally reasonable price range. Now I just have to settle on an army list. I'll post it for some criticism sometime soon.

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:38 pm

ALL of my soviet infantry is Old Glory, i like them better than battlefront cause they dont have the giant heads.
Must of my tanks are also Old Glory, the dimensions are pretty much the same and they fit in nice with the rest of my stuff.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Warbird wrote:Wow thanks a lot guys. at 50 infantry for 8.50 this puts making any army in a totally reasonable price range. Now I just have to settle on an army list. I'll post it for some criticism sometime soon.

You may be missing certain weapons for platoons when you buy from these other companies. For example the bag of infantry are just riflemen. There is a bag of Officers available(50 guys). AT guns dont have crews...again there is a bag of AT gun crew you can buy(50 guys). Its not streamlined for the game system like BF items are. My French infantry Platoons each have a rifle grenade team. The other companies dont make that. All in all you can work around that crap.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Lot of the stuff like Gun crews for various models are nothing but cosmetic anyways, or you just toss some figs on a base to create something to fit the role.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Ya but even with it all separate its still much much cheaper. If I want to do a full soviet artillery battery of 76MM and 122MM guns its $8.40 x 2 for the 76MM's another $8.40 for the 122MM's and $8.40 for the crews from old glory $12.50 for the large bases and $12.50 for the artillery HQ from Battlefront.
Total $59 dollars for a 12 gun artillery battery. Cost just from Battlefront $210. Its amazing what deals you can make if you just put in the effort and get good advice Smile

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:27 am

Yup.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:47 am

Funny, I forget who said it, but they believe Old Glory looks better then Battlefront. They said Battlefront infantry head and hands are out of portion (might have been Smirkweasel).
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 am

I think some of Old Glory's stuff does look better, Quality Casting has some great stuff too. But the price so much better while Battlefront just seems to keep getting more expensive.

Infantry proportions never bugged me with battlefront, though have heard many complain about head sizes Very Happy
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 am

They all look good.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:03 pm

rokassan wrote:They all look good.

I agree, and even though Battlefronts heads are bigger (it's true), at 15mm I don't think it's a show stopper.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Old Glory is a good company to buy from, Battlefront also doesn't really care about which models you use, even though most people at the bigger events use BF models because they want to support the game system.

Just an FYI (though I won't be the one to call it) Joel has a mandate out that ALL of your models for FOW are supposed to be FOW only. That's why that one dude who had the Axis & Allies army doesn't play anymore. Joel's pretty strict about it, so keep it in mind and don't get caught (if you choose to play with them) otherwise he'll throw a fit.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:18 pm

IF YOU MIX WHO CARES.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:31 am

Drop smoke, Joel will never see 'em.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 pm

unless he picks up your models and reads the copy right or whatever on the bottom, I doubt he could tell unless someone told on the player.

I can see an A&A built army being obvious though
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkweasel Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Bill, have you bought from warweb before?
I placed an order with them back on November 27 and haven't got an update
other than "Processing". Also, no replies to my emails about the order.
How long does it take them to ship?

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkweasel Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Eh, just checked my email again. They are running behind 3 - 4 weeks on stock orders.
Should have my order out by the end of the week. I am sorry about the delay but glad
it's on the up and up.

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 am

It's very slow, but worth the wait.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:16 am

They take forever, but as Eric said its worth the wait.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Well I guess my order placed a week ago won't be here by Christmas but still a panzerkompanie for $140 totally worth waiting for

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down