The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc

5 posters

Go down

Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc Empty Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc

Post by Vycem Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:27 pm

So I've been hearing a lot on the forums regarding Fantasy at Sunshine and how Joel is basically abandoning it. So I did the logical thing and asked him about it. Here's what he said:

Fantasy is going to a low period right now and is practically dead lately. He said he had spoken to three guys who were going to rotate running tournaments, but they're all burned out and don't want to do it. He said he's not going to force tournaments for a game when even the campaign that started up can barely muster three people. Players are just not interested. So he's shuffling the price money to the 40k crowd since they actually have a player base.

As for terrain, yeah, most of the terrain is 40k-centric, but that's because Max stepped up and asked if he could help get terrain done. I've seen Max and his crew working hard at getting the 40k tables ready. Joel is having them do at least one dedicated fantasy table. I mentioned that the game needs a lot more terrain in the new ed, and he says fine, that for year whenever he brought up the topic of terrain people just kept saying "all we need is a few trees and hills and we're fine." Now the game changed and needs more terrain, but no one has offered to help get that done.

Joel is a businessman in the end. He's not going to sit there and crap out fantasy terrain for us, but it's not like people do it for free, he works out deals. It's just that no one in the fantasy community has stepped up and volunteered their time. Games live and die by their player base, if no one is out being a mouth piece and getting things together, it falters. At least Dice_Runt is trying to get campaigns going, which I completely respect and admire. I wish I had my army assembled so I could try to support somewhat.

As for tournaments, Joel flat out told me that if someone steps up to run tournaments and people actually show up, he has no problems allocating the GW support to it. But he's not going to prop up a pseudo-tournament, force people to run it, and then have maybe a couple of people show up - he prefers to use that money to fuel the 40k community. He's just playing the waiting game, seeing if the community picks itself back up and drives momentum once more. He doesn't even see people showing up to play pickup games at the store much anymore. He says he tries to push Tuesdays as Fantasy nights, but people complain. He tries Thursdays, people complain. No matter what day he tries to push, the fantasy community is too busy.

It's funny, people bash 40k for being so attractive to the younger players, but they're the ones who keep the game alive. Fantasy may have all the mature, experienced players, but life responsibilities throw a wrench and we never play. I kind of wish Fantasy DID have the appeal of 40k and more younger players were excited to try it out. Then we'd maybe have a more thriving community.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc Empty Re: Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc

Post by Dice_Runt Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:32 am

you know what i have been doing everything i could to get things running for WFB at the store. I have an idea how about you sit down and start running things there for a chance
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc Empty Re: Update from Joel Re: Fantasy Tournaments, etc

Post by scurrdi Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Whoa now.

It's true, the 3 folks who were rotating tournaments were burnt out for a mixture of reasons. For one person it was the people who were playing at the tournaments. For another their job and IRL got in the way, and for the third, he got tired of running everything.

Anyways, we've spoken to Joel and a few people and were hoping to make Thursdays and Sundays Fantasy & FOW nights, so hopefully that'll help.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:59 am

indeed it will
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:59 am

i just noticed i come off as abit of an ass
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Let me know what you need. I'm willing to make a few fantasy or generic boards. But 40K needs alot of new LOS blocking terrain and I'm tired of seeing broken shit all over the place.

Regarding players; I've taken a hands on approach and been training every new player on how to be good at the game. They play how they want but know the rules well and enjoy the game.

FOR THE LAST TIME: Tournament money hasnt been being sent my way! I've got the $100 from GW for the hast 8 months straight that I've been running the 40K scene. You fools should still be getting your $100 a month for your events. I've thought about taking your money but that's really selfish and lame.

Furthermore, I dont want to see Fantasy die but what can you do when the game rules stink, the models and codexes are overpriced and the actual players that play the game aren't receptive to change/never play/are not competative/are closed minded.
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1255
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.40KWreckingCrew.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Well Id say all of the GW codex's are overpriced. It aint just Fantasy. From what Ive read(I have the $80 book) the rules speed up the game and add more carnage. The 7th edition games I played I enjoyed, but I did notice that getting into charge position or even getting into close combat was difficult. Some units would simply flounder the entire game trying to get into combat. Youd have these massive 60+ Goblin units would get throttled by a unit of say 5 blood knights. Bullshit. 60+ little bloodthirsty goblins would have some sort of a chance to, if not defeat 5 Knights they could simply overwhelm them. Every rule set is flawed and people will always complain. In the new edition units are more mobile and can get into combat quicker. Is it flawed? Of course.
I know many who dont like 5th edition 40k. I personally like it...except for the terrain rules. Which suck. Other than that it blows 4th edition out of the water in my opinion.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down