The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VC[heese]...

+2
ShadowMaster
The Eldar Guy
6 posters

Go down

VC[heese]... Empty VC[heese]...

Post by The Eldar Guy Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 pm

So, I've had a corpse cart for a while and I broke it out to paint(a break from dark elves, but also have an old box of 20 skeletons) and I'm toying around with the idea of putting together a Vampire Count force. Any way to have VC and not be a "cheesy git?" I've never played against them.

From matt's reaction they seem pretty boring to play against. Neutral
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

VC[heese]... Empty Re: VC[heese]...

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm

You have a power army in the DE so your already a cheesy git. jocolor

Play whatever army interests you.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:21 pm

really, I just don't want to play a boring army.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:59 pm

Well you lack shooting and artillary, but I don't think they fall all the way down to boring. They are less versatile than your DE.

You DE army has lots of options (artillary, shooting, magic, monsters, scouts, etc.), so you don't really need to fill a gap in play styles. They also fill your power army role should you decide you want to get heavy in the tourney scene.

IMO all armies can be fun to play. Look at Sergio compete with the "impossible to win with" Ogres. Matt makes O&G feel like a top tier army to face. Ignore the internet reputation and rumors. My advice would be to pick army number 2 based on one thing alone. What models/theme do you like best?
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:47 pm

I've been doing the elf thing for quite a while, rpgs and whatnot, so really I'm looking for something radically different (except dwarves...). One of the biggest reason I picked dark elves were because they were just that, elves. After painting/modeling eldar and once I finish dark elves I think having some good ol' fashion zombie fun will be a welcomed change. And, yeah, dark elves do have a lot of flexability and I enjoy their playstyle but what they (like all elves) lack, in terms of play style, is durability.

putting together the corpse cart and I find it extremely hilarious that out of the sixteen or so guys on the damn thing- only the ones pulling the cart are missing legs Rolling Eyes
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Hehe, the DoC player says play whatever army you want and ignore the internet stuff. I love it! Very Happy

Well, play what you'd like, but here's some ways to consider making a more balanced list for VC, IMO.

Shoot for not overloaded on magic. With the fact that you can already cast a spell on a single roll, and your main characters all are fighters AND wizards makes you a magic dominate list on its own, you don't need to abuse that anymore then necessary.

Take some of the fun stuff! It gets boring if all you do is bring a bunch of little whimpy undead units and just raise them to ungodlike numbers. Consider taking some of the more elite troops. It will make for much more challenging games (IMO, for you and your opponent).

Try some of those things out. The VCs have always been a very powerful army, but GW screwed up when it combined the 3+ casting with "as many times as you want." Aside from that single situation, I don't think the VC book is that broken. Unfortunately though, that rule makes them pretty hard / impossible to deal with for most armies out there.

But hey, have fun!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 am

The problem is that GW made a book that is unbalanced not just in a sense of power, but in a sense of options.

The only units that count as core in an undead force are Zombies, Skeletons, and Ghouls. All foot soldiers.

If you want to take a fast moving hard hitting force, you're forced to spend a MINIMUM of 240 pts on units that will not be able to keep up with the rest of your force. Once they fall beyond the generals range, they can't even march, and are easy pickings for enemy hard hitters.

It's like they almost FORCE you to take a magic heavy, necromantic force. If they had left wolves in as core, or had kept ghouls as skirmishers than a Melee heavy force would be much more viable. As it is, it's like you're tossing 240 points into the gutter.

There are a good amount of cheezy things you can do with the VC's and loading up on magic is only 1 of them. How about moving around with10 Cair Wraiths. Sure against Lizards, Demon's and Woodies, they'd be toast, but against most other armies, they'll give fits to the opponent. They have a 12 inch charge with 15 strength 5 magical attacks? and cause terror? No thank you sir. Not when you're playing with an empire, brettonian or Oand G army.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:47 am

Well we already have a number of tough army lists that pop up in our small group, so there is no reason for Chris to hold back on a worry that he will be over-powered.

Empire gun lines of death w/ Stank, Giant, and Pope-modile
12 Chariot O&G lists
Guys on Dragons
Twin EOTG Steggies
Some punk who plays Daemons

One more VC army won't hurt if that is what interests him
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:42 am

Im working a deal on getting me a Torek gun line army !! bout 4000 points worth. Gonna trade some of
my Lizardmen for it.

http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83115

VCs are unbalnaced, GW screwed up with them, like Stefan said, is almost impossible not to make a cheesy list since their "balance" list is crippled and they dont use the advantage and bonuses the army gets. Like all Undead armies, magic is what moves them.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 am

I saw those - they do look nice. Not sure I'd give up that Lizzie set, but that's your call.
===============
DoC is also impossible to list and not be tough. You could go with 2 Heros and no banners and still be alright most of the time.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:07 am

ShadowMaster wrote:I saw those - they do look nice. Not sure I'd give up that Lizzie set, but that's your call.
===============
DoC is also impossible to list and not be tough. You could go with 2 Heros and no banners and still be alright most of the time.

Im bored with the Lizardmen, and i have never played Dwarves before, and i would feel dirty playing Demons or VCs :p would like to try Bretonians, but havent seen a worthwhile set arround.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

PM Sent

Very Happy
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:00 pm

I think dwarves are gonna bore you to tears Luis, but who knows!
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Diosamblet wrote:I think dwarves are gonna bore you to tears Luis, but who knows!

The opportunity to shoot those Engines of the Broken Gods in the face with flaming cannoballs of doom is just to good to let pass !!!!
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Bring out your dead!

VC[heese]... RightsidetVC[heese]... Leftside
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:08 pm

But he's not dead yet?!?!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:53 am

He will be soon!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content