The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting in to Flames

+2
rokassan
Frantic
6 posters

Go down

Getting in to Flames Empty Getting in to Flames

Post by Frantic Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:45 am

Hey guys. Ive been putting off getting into flames of war for a while but I think the time is right. I was wondering what armies people are playing ? Im sure theres alot of germans and americans....but how much ? I play Axis and allies minis which is something like a faster/simpler version of FoW and it just so happens the tanks are the same scale so I've got plenty of Vehicles for Germany and Canada and i'd like to go in one of those directions...leaning more toward germany but if there are tooo many german players I will probably go with Canada. What are your thoughts ? Thanks !
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Getting in to Flames Empty Re: Getting in to Flames

Post by rokassan Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 am

There are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many German players. Canadians would be cool. They have their own special rules. I forget what they are ,but I do remember being impressed by them.
If you wanna be the bad guys there's the Hungarians,Romanians,Italians and Finnish. They are all viable and competitive armies and have some interesting rules. Plus when you kick ass with them you can really gloat.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 am

Either you should do either army, or even both if you already have the models. Unlike GW, Battlefront doesn't care if you use non-BF mini's at their tournaments so I think your good to go.

Both armies provide some differences. There are alot of German players but thats mainly because they are the only Axis faction available in both mid war and late war.

Go with Either!

I'm hoping to get an escalation league going for FOW starting mid-may, I think that'd be a good time to get started and learning the rules, etc.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 am

Dan you forgot... Midwar you have Italians,Romanians,Hungarians and Fin land.
Late war at some point should have All of those except the Italians. All of those minors lasted til almost the end of the war. Hungary surrendered in February 1945.After the siege of Budapest.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkweasel Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Most Axis and Allies minis are not to scale with each other or with Flames of War. The vehicles in A&A mini were sized according to their power in the game. So a transport with no combat strength was tiny (Jeep) while a Tiger tank was huge.

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 pm

The last three released sets of A&A minis and all future sets are all 15mm. The older sets had weird scales but with the popularity of flames of war they switched to pure 15mm for the line to try and draw in more customers.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Cool, so Canada it is. I may add some finnish stuff later down the line. I loves the finns..I have a small unit of them in AA but borrowing german tanks for them. And yes, all the AAM pieces I have are from the last 3 sets. I actually got into that game right when they did the scale change. good timing.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

All of the Finnish units are rated as fearless Veteran. Which is the best rating a unit can have. They some hardened fuckers. Teach those Russian Monkey's a lesson.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Yeah, that also means your not getting alot of them, particularly benefiting all those German rules.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

well... I got the Open fire set. Going to start reading the rules today. I was looking through the books and I saw a little bit for Canada in Montys Meatgrinder. Is that all thats available to them ? I also saw they have the priest Kangaroos but not the ram kangaroos... that kinda stinks as I like the ram Kangaroos better and I already have 2. Hopefully they will publish stats for them soon.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue May 05, 2009 9:14 am

No each campaign book that the British were involved in has formations and for late war the main army book is Fortress Europe. This book has all of the company types for all the major forces in late war. It has all the rules for Common Wealth troops as well.
For Mid War its the Afrika Book.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Valhalla114 Tue May 05, 2009 12:50 pm

Which North Africa is set to come out this summer by the way.
Valhalla114
Valhalla114
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 465
Armies : Guard, Sisers, =][=, Blood Angels.
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue May 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Here are the books where I believe you can get access to the Canadians:

North Afrika (Which is going to be replaced by "North Africa" this summer, so hold out) Thats the Mid-War book.

Fortress Europe (the main LW book, has rules for Canada in it).

Monty's Meatgrinder (theme specific book, Late War). p

Each one of these works independently of the other, so you really only need one for each war era.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Wed May 06, 2009 12:10 am

Cool. I got the Montys Meatgrinder as I assume most people do late war anyway. And so far I got a Sherman Tank platoon with a Firefly. So i'm thinking of buying an infantry company box and adding a machine gun platoon and that should right around 600 points. The minimum I need to get started correct ?
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm

That could work, but I'd recommend against the MG platoon. Those guns don't usually last too long. Your better off just getting an infantry platoon and using that, it'll be a good start to your force and let you experience infantry and tanks.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri May 08, 2009 11:11 am

just an infantry platoon ? I was trying to shoot for a 600 point army to start. Should I maybe get a mortar platoon instead ?
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri May 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Mortar platoons are good also, I'd say fiddle around with it. I'll try to pull out my book tonight and see what I can do.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 am

I was cruising through the FOW site and found this little article about the 4th Canadian Armored Division.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=603

Take a look, it may help you design your list!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down