The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

painting FOW mini's

+3
Hurricane
Ovich
Garry
7 posters

Go down

painting FOW mini's Empty painting FOW mini's

Post by Garry Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Any sugestions or tips when it comes to painting these mini's.
What I figure is prime black then single coat area's on model then wash area's.

Is that what you all have been doing. The models you have posted on this board for FOW look good.

Thanks
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

painting FOW mini's Empty Re: painting FOW mini's

Post by Ovich Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Garry,

I shit you not about this, and you can ask any of these guys that have some nicely painted FOW armies...

DIP YOUR SHIT.

prime white... paint up all your base colors, camo green, flesh, boots, gun metal, and so forth, keeping it bright, cause once you dip it , it darkens.

Then take the whole base with you guys already glued to it... and dip that shit in Minwax Water Based Wood Stain. After dipping, take a nice dry brush and blot up excess stain. They will look great. You can do it with tanks and artillery too.

The color of the stain may vary based on your preference. I generally stick to american walnut or vermont maple.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. !!
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Thanks I will give it a try the only bad thing is I just primed up 30 with black.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:51 pm

What army are you playing with? The german rockets that I just finnished, I primed Grey. I helped my friend do his americans and primed green. Dipping is they way to go. Minwax water based stain, the color you want to use is american walnut. You can blot up with a paper towel too, but be careful not to take to much off.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:58 pm

I primed my (uh Will's) American tanks olive green and dried brushed them with a lighter shade of green and it look great! A lot of people thought I used a microscope to paint them.

I nearly blind from old age and masterbation and it was as easy as putting butter on bread.

Don't let the painting scare you!

FOW is great game. Play on brother.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 pm

I picked up some german and brits. this way I could go either way. I am trying a wet brush painting then followed with a small touch of hight lights.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:32 pm

As I said in the other thread, I spray undercoated a bunch of vehicles in Army painter army green, then just black inked on top of that to get closer to the British colours. i need to dry brush to highlight, but I'm happy so far.

One note, the resin of the aircraft is very different to the resin of the vehicles, and you really need to scrub at it to make it clean and for it to accept paint.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:12 pm

I've seen Garry's work and he paints that wet blend method on Chris's level to come up with some VERY NICE STUFF!

I find the GW washes to be an alternative to the minwax dip. A heavy wash will give the same effect. It will cost more and take more time, but you get some non-brown color options. The non-stain Miniwax (whihc can be color mixed) does not give the same results.

If you do use the Minwax, I recommend using Q-tips to blog the wet spots in the hard to reach places. Also, base coat a shade lighter as the whoel thing will darken with the dip process.

In the end it is fast and give great results. I once built and painted 2250 in Tomb Kings in 6 weeks using mostly a base coat and dip method.

Last edited by ShadowMaster on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:25 pm

any suggestions on how to deal with the bases. I fugure you paint the model then mount to base. What is everyone using to give base texture. With warhammer I use morter that u would use to put tile up. then glue cream of wheet prime and dry brush add flock and so forth. But I am thinking that cream of wheet might be to big are you using a sand or something. I am looking to give the germanes a Italy feel. green/orange rocky mayby a grape vine here and there. Basing the units off the grendier.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm doing mine with spackle, to which I'm planing to have a part painted, part flock finish.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Joint Compound, which i paint graveyard earth color. Added with the dip gives a nice muddy effect
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:46 am

Hurricane wrote:What army are you playing with? The german rockets that I just finnished, I primed Grey. I helped my friend do his americans and primed green. Dipping is they way to go. Minwax water based stain, the color you want to use is american walnut. You can blot up with a paper towel too, but be careful not to take to much off.
Black is fine. If your painting dark colors. If its khaki I'd use white. I used whit for my Italians and I'm using black for my late war Germans. A black undercoat hides inperfections, with white if you miss a spot the white shows. Black will simply look like shadow.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down