The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new space marine army's i am working on.

+3
DarkAngel_Cesar
Joshwow1
bromah
7 posters

Go down

new space marine army's i am working on. Empty new space marine army's i am working on.

Post by bromah Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

was thinking about going all drop pods...about 8 or nine units for my 2000pt army
vulkan
a Master of the Forge (motf ucker)

3 tac squads w/ standard drop pods

drop pods with death wind for these last 4 groups
2x (10) sternguard squads with flamers and melta

2x dread naughts with armor and heavy flamers (multimelta of course)

just drop my 4 bad ass groups down. blow up 6 tanks and aoe the enemy. screws imps to deat hand fux tyranids but I don't know about how i should handle the melee space wolves (who are bullshit nasty powerful now)

The other army i am working on is with korsho khan and is nearly all mechanized like 6 duel las razorbacks...some sternguards with 2 laz cannons and a few other bits and bobs. oh yeah 5 tactical squads with laz cannons...the idea is to either out flank an enemy totally or to just hit him with such power at range that he crumbles.
bromah
bromah
Cultist

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

new space marine army's i am working on. Empty Re: new space marine army's i am working on.

Post by Joshwow1 Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Drop pod lists aren't very good.

Everyone tries them and realize it's just a gimmick that fails.

If I were to do drop pod, I would only drop pod the dreadnoughts (and make them ironclad of course)

Joshwow1
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

new space marine army's i am working on. Empty Re: new space marine army's i am working on.

Post by DarkAngel_Cesar Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 pm

yea i agree with Josh no more then 3 drop pods is needed in a marine list. I will be running 3 just to ensure my sternguard come in first turn to do some major damage.

DarkAngel_Cesar
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 512
Armies : Ravenwing and Dark Angels 3rd company
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Yeah they work best for an alpha strike to shut down key units. All pods was way better when they all started in reserves.

I'd like to see the mech Khan army in action. haven't seen that yet. I think Outflank is much better on a 4X4 table though, which means a small points limit.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 am

Ironically I don't find that the space wolves strength lies in the assault, on the contrary I believe the wolves do better than space marines in the shooting phase. As an added bonus, they have counter assault which only encourages them to rapid fire the doodoo out of your units, combined with two meltagun shots (or worse, plasma rapid fire- ouch) there's not much you can do better with as far as troop choices go.

That aside, invest in some rhinos, try to keep drop pods to a 3 drop pod limit, but never use two. Make it one or three, you avoid alot of the static element of drop pods and cut your losses with your suicide squad.

Deathwind missle launchers aren't worth the points IMHO- 12 inch range isn't much, and drop pods can't fire the turn they come in (wow that sucks)... You're paying points that could be used upgrading other parts of your army for almost no reason.

Aside from pedro, I strongly recommend you drop the sternies, you'll find that terminators are in most cases better at killing various opponents. This'll also allow you to get a land raider and put your master crafted thunder hammers to work- you've picked up a very aggressive very resilient squad and gotten rid of 2 squads that were going to drop and die turn one anyway.

With the two squads of veterens shaking hands and going their seperate ways, you've now eliminated your need for the master of the forge who would love to change careers and become a captain or maybe go to librarian school to pick up some nifty powers to roll with your new team of terminators.

All in all, those changes should make your list much more fun, you keep the cool dreads, get a crazy awesome unit to roll with a crazy awesome hq, and a ton more tactical flexibility.

Stick it to the wolves!
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshwow1 Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 am

Woah! where the Space Wolf hate come into this matt! :p

Matt gave sound advice, I go to matt for C:SM advice...it's funny, he doesn't play them, but if he did, I am sure he would be one of the better C:SM players around.

He's too much into being a space catholic knight that gets PISSED off when a scout dies :p

Joshwow1
Aspiring Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Srgt. Master Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Ahhh, so this is the list that you made to counter our little encounters in the shooting range maps, hate the sternguard by the way....really do. Razz

I'm not really sure why your taking drop pods for the tactical squads though, it's very anti- light-Infantry, lacks abit of MEQ-killing stuff like plasma...

I would still recommend (I don't know if it's possible points-wise though) taking one of the dreads and making it a twin DCC weapon-wielding tyrant, Those things can generally roast an entire squad of light infantry in thier first drop, if they are turtled inside cover like most sane infantry sqauds.

Is the master of the forge the dude with the orbital bombardment? if he is....thats some sexy danger close... Shocked

as for the other list...

I dare you to try to outflank my TURTLE OF DOOM!!!TM Twisted Evil
Srgt. Master
Srgt. Master
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 166
Armies : Adeptus Mechanichus/ Guard
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bromah Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 pm

actually changing the list.
hqs: Vulkan & an inquistor lord (power weapon and a psychic hood with unlimited range and uses to nullify nids, chaos lash, eldar and space wolve psychers)
4 tactical squads with 4 razorbacks sporting duel las cannons
elites: 15 stern guard, 12 combi melta's, 2 heavy flamers and a dread naught with with a heavy flamer all in drop pods....should eliminate 3 unit's when it comes in and cause chaos on your field.

it's a severe rape of armor and or hq's
bromah
bromah
Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 am

The problem with your strategy is that you'll destroy three units, in my case the best possible outcome is two land raiders and a vindicator... But then you realize that you drop pod'd, so you've got nowhere else to go but to lose three incredibly overpriced units at the bottom of turn one. ASSUMING you go first and the opponent's incredibly mech'd list (because thats whats competitive) pop'd smoke anticipating your drop pod assault (which, upon seeing your drop pod models/keeping models in reserved will have informed him). Then you've got 3 incredibly expensive units that are going to go "pop pop" assaulted.

You get left with 4 tactical squads, vulkan, and an inquisitor lord vs. whatever mech is left and about 1,500 points worth of agitated enemy army to look at, with little to no heavy support to back you up.

Sorry if I sound like a prick, I'm mostly frustrated at the use of drop pods as they don't work, and the above is why.
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshwow1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Matt is spot on.

Just in a scenario against my army, if you pop my rhinos, or go for my dreads, it's really not a huge deal, because then you are exposed to the REST of my army. So it just became a 800pt detachment of your army vs the rest of my...1800 or so? after damage has been calculated (assuming a 2k pt game).

Eldar will laugh in your face (you can never get the extra d6 against wave serpents, and if they are fire prisms, roll 2d take the lowest...have fun doing that).

Or people will just see your plan coming, and hold their army in reserve. Even getting half of their army on the field would still be enough to deal with a few sternguards and a single dreadnought.

Sternies are just badass tactical squads. Don't make them a throw away unit, put them in a rhino, and treat them like a tactical squad. But with vulkan sternies are virtually useless (as Matt stated). Go with Pedro to make them work.

Units that make Vulkan work:
-Multi Melta Attack Bikes/ Landspeeders
-Thunder Hammer Terminators in Land Raider Crusaders (Redeemers suck)
-Multi-Melta,Melta Gun, Combi-Melta Tac Squads
-Vindicators

Vulkan favors Mech Builds, not gimmicky drop pod builds. As a matter of fact, the only true way to play C:SM is probably mech, cause trial and error has proven the faulty ways of the Drop Pod Assault.

Joshwow1
Aspiring Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by bromah Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:53 pm

well it's been working well so far and we can see after a few more battle tests.
bromah
bromah
Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I heard you got massacred by an IG gunline at the tournament
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I love drop pods. I just put my shit in reserve and watch as my opponent gets turn 1 and doesn't know what to do.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshwow1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep, that's what anyone with a brain would do. Drop Pod assault is like the worst rule ever. It only works against newbies.

Joshwow1
Aspiring Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Srgt. Master Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Leviticus wrote:I heard you got massacred by an IG gunline at the tournament

I take the blame for that rapeage, favorable terrain and such... Razz

And his sternguard did the most amount of damage in his entire army(2.5 tanks and quite a few models in first turn of shooting), it essencially bought his army a turn to close in while 90% of my army fired into his squads...

I STILL find the position of the drop pod utter BS though! Mad
Srgt. Master
Srgt. Master
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 166
Armies : Adeptus Mechanichus/ Guard
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel_Cesar Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 am

iunno my drop pods seem to work for me.

Only time they would suck balls is during a kill point game. If it's objective based im dropping them near or around the objective and saying come on down!

Then again i really use my sternguard as shock troops...meh iunno but they do work for me!

DarkAngel_Cesar
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 512
Armies : Ravenwing and Dark Angels 3rd company
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down