The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For your consideration, 40K and Fantasy

+12
jerryb
TheLimey
jspyd3rx
luis the young
scurrdi
Kyle
ShadowMaster
spazfrag666
Vycem
The Eldar Guy
Diosamblet
KingdomCome
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

For your consideration, 40K and Fantasy - Page 3 Empty Re: For your consideration, 40K and Fantasy

Post by spazfrag666 Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:32 pm

@ stephen cheers

spazfrag666
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 99
Armies : O&G,chaos dwarves,Ogre kingdoms
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

For your consideration, 40K and Fantasy - Page 3 Empty Re: For your consideration, 40K and Fantasy

Post by luis the young Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

I wonder what the timeline is between the WFB world and the 40K world. Is WFB thousands of years before 40k or kinda the same timeline and the WFB is hidden somewhere where the Imperium and others cant find it ?
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm

There has been speculation of both.

Some say that Sigmar was a primarch and when he left the Old World (Fantasy land) he joined his fleet in space and used pyshic powers to shield the world from view.

Others say that the Old World is Terra, just... way back when.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Is there a official answer?

Did they ever write up the general universal history?

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 pm

From what I understood long ago Fantasy took place somewhere not found yet in the 40k Universe, but that they basically decided against that idea long ago and that they are separate universes. But this has been tossed around for a long time and don't think it ever was actually written down officially, just something tossed around by fans now.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I had a light day at work and so I slipped down to Joels and played a game of 40k vs. Motley's Chaos Marine Crue.

Kingdom was super cool to help us out with rules and flow.

First and most important.... it was fun. Alot of fun. I'm ready to play again. Twisted Evil

DoC deployment is tricky and I did not divide my troops in the best way possible. I also did not choose the best landing spots. Last, I need to add some icons to my list. All easy adjustment so far.

I now understanding what you guys mean by finesse if the movement phase. It's tricky to find those soft spots where you can attack and still stay out of nasty assult range. I really blew it a bunch. I need to improve big time in this area.

My dice ran cold and then hot, so at least I had that come back feeling at the end of this bloodbath. We both held our own base uncontested for a draw.

Lessons Learned
Terminators are nasty
Abandon the Despoiler is a bastard
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 am

Shadowmaster, you had fun with 40K right? Isn't that the whole point to this hobby? Shadow really enjoyed himself. He sounds enthusiastic, so he will play again.

I really don't understand why some people are agonizing over this issue?

40K and Fantasy don't presently interest me, that does not make it right or wrong to play. It just my choice as single individual. This may surprise you, I want you to have fun with the game. The company... no comment.

I was talking to a possible new player today explaining 40K (never mentioned AT43, but did talk about FOW because he asked) I didn't bashed the gaming system and you can ask Joel, because he was right there in front of us both. I did not allow my personal bias to interfere with someone's possible enjoyment and I trust others judgment as to what they will or will not like. I hope I had assisted in helping George make an accurate decision. I believe he bought a 40K starter kit (broken back box set)after we had talked.
This all may seem contradictory to what I have said in other posts, but I don't want to go into it as I had stated I would stop with the public bashing.

My point is, both Fantasy and 40K can have the potential to be really great games. There are separate themes and appeal to different people for different reasons.

Don't worry, be happy.

Forget about it...

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:12 am

Shadow played one of the craziest games I've seen in a long while. He pulled out from total defeat in turn 4 by decimating a unit of 10 terminators which led to a huge late game rally. ProTip: Don't late flamers of Tzeentch flame you Evil or Very Mad . Had tons o' fun helping out in that game.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:12 pm

This is exactly why true LOS fails: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/S6zwsLjgJQI/AAAAAAAAHhc/gidGAbY1TOE/s1600/ad10-floor-001.jpg

Tons of places and tournies run tables like these, the terrain they use is completely useless. Even before True LOS, this kind of terrain was very limited and almost useless, and now it's just worst. This shot is from this years Adepticon.

So they updated the LOS rules yet they still make people play on barren landscapes? Even before the true LOS, players could possibly only hide one or two units of infantry in a clump of trees if you got lucky to have some on the table.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:13 pm

That's actually not too bad. The terrain isn't what I call scarce ( I've seen worse. Trust Me). TLOS is still preferable over some of the other LOS rules I've seen used. Can any one remember 40k 2nd edition when you literally couldn't shoot a unit behind another unit? I saw entire ork armies behind gretchin screens, sad part was you couldn't shoot the real targets until you got rid of ALL the gretchin! Those were rough days. Adepticon has more issues than lack of terrain.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:15 pm

*double post*
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:17 pm

you're not hiding anything in 5e. That's just a truth you've got to get used to.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 pm

With proper terrain, you can hide even vehicles. If your using shitty terrain like what we see in that picture, even in 4e it didn't hide shit.

A terrain element is useless if it does not block LOS even to the basic level of providing cover saves. But this is the way it is in the competitive play circuit of 40k. 4 random bits of terrain... done. You got 1/4 inch craters on the ground that don't block a single thing covering a quarter of a table, what is that supposed to do? A clump of 3 highly spaced out trees? A few 2 inch wide pillars? These are practically open fields.

For a skirmish level game such as Malifaux, AEWWII, Anima, etc, such terrain could actually hide your units, but when playing war game where you have 10-15 man squads, where the hell do you plan on hiding them?

The rules changes in 5E promoted the use of better and more terrain in games, but people are still using the same style of terrain they have been using since 2E/3E days which had abstract area terrain effects.

Course one can argue that in a tournament setting like this, having enough good terrain for everyone is kinda hard, so they have to depend on sparse and very portable pieces such as shown. To cover the 40-50 plus tables with terrain is a whole lot and cost quite a bit, but when you play the game in a store or at home, hopefully people are using better set ups than this.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Forge world, imperial city, and the like aren't going to block LoS completely. Small windows will allow shoot-through. The only terrain that really blocks LOS by GW is the planet strike stuff.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:24 pm

How about not buying GW stuff? Countless terrain solutions to purchase, and infinite possibilities to make. Don't buy terrain that has huge holes in it or windows to shoot through. If you want terrain for cover, then buy that terrain, but if you want terrain that can block LOS, then look for and buy that kind of terrain.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Terrain blocked LOS in 4th edition. Now it no longer does.

If -you- want LOS blocking terrain- that's fine. But it wont' be the standard.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:41 am

If you wanted to compare the systems to checkers and chess, then the following is true:

40k is like checkers where one piece eats another piece, only to be consumed by the opponents piece (units assaulting then getting shot to shit, models hopping out of vehicles etc etc)

Fantasy seems like chess in the sense that one player can have bishops, queens, pawns... But your opponent at any point in time can knock all the chess pieces off the board and pull a .45 cal and blow your pieces to shit (Vampire counts, chaos demons, etc.)

In reality, neither game is like either- checkers and chess are similar in that there is no static element. A piece does this, it will always do this, and no matter how bad you want it to it will never do anything different.

40k and Fantasy are similar in that there is only static elements. A squad of fire dragons should pop a land raider, but shitty dice rolls can leave you frustrated in angry because it didn't happen.

Just my two cents.
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 am

The whole "chess" and "checkers" thing is kind of silly an arbitrary since you can pick and choose the point of comparison:

Fantasy is like checkers in that it typically uses more figures on each side than 40k, which is like chess, as it has less pieces.

Fantasy is like Clue in that you don't know which piece has the really nasty murder weapon nor in what "room" (area of the board) they will commit the murder.

40k is like Parcheesi in that if the player has to get all of his pieces to the "home" (objective) squares to count as having won.

Fantasy is like Pandemic in that you need to look at the map and put the piece with the right ability in the right place to counter the spreading "disease" (opponent), though oftentimes you're missing one key ability in the overall team of pieces.

40k is like Battlestar Galactica in that sometimes you're fighting evil robots out to destroy you.

Fantasy is like Descent in that you have a core group of heroes fighting lots of baddies until you get to an equally bad "boss" that can kick your ass.

I can keep this up all day.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:19 pm

I say we should!

40k is like Yazzi in that if you roll five 6's (particularly as a tyranid) your opponent will scream "HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!"
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 am

The terrain issue is a big one in most wargames.

Even in FOW, the average table doesn't really have enough terrain, and it creates problems.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Leviticus wrote:I say we should!

40k is like Yazzi in that if you roll five 6's (particularly as a tyranid) your opponent will scream "HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!"

40K is like a Ponzi scheme were the company rips off it's customer..... SSSSIIIREN - TROLL POLICE, TROLL POLICE!

aaahhh!!!!

Book him Danno

JerryB alien I haven't used this one.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

jerryb wrote:
40K is like a Ponzi scheme were the company rips off it's customer..... SSSSIIIREN - TROLL POLICE, TROLL POLICE!

aaahhh!!!!

Book him Danno

For your consideration, 40K and Fantasy - Page 3 Flic-vs-Clown
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3