The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed: Goblin Cavalry in 8th

5 posters

Go down

Help needed: Goblin Cavalry in 8th Empty Help needed: Goblin Cavalry in 8th

Post by Vycem Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey guys,

Need some help from those who are quick at grasping the new 8th edition ruleset. Currently I have 10 goblin wolf riders and 10 spider riders. Originally I was going to run them as 2x5 with musician and spears each.

However, now that you need 2 ranks for flank rank denial, march blocking is gimped, and initiative hitting raping before I even hit, I don't know what to do.

I was thinking the 10 goblin wolf riders should get spears + shields + full command and hope that through careful maneuvering they get to a flank unshot (since shields remove fast cavalry status), maybe eventually upping them to 12. Is this stupid? Would it work? How does the flank denial work, if I hit with two ranks, and lose some guys, do I still count for flank denial or is it too late?

For the spider riders, I was thinking two units of 5 with short bows and musicians as flank harassment and march blocking units. Good? Bad?

Should they all get bows and give up on being nuisances?

I'm open to any help and suggestions. I kind of need an idea relatively soon Sad

Thanks!
-Endre

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Help needed: Goblin Cavalry in 8th Empty Re: Help needed: Goblin Cavalry in 8th

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:13 pm

As I said in another thread, bigger units of cavalry are going to be more useless. The former small units are just not going to have much affect and having a lot of these small groups is not going to be that effective. If you could probably best to just choose one of the cav options and add more figs to it till it's an effective cavalry unit.

Problem with the small units is even at minimum for their purpose of rank denial or such, a smart opponent would just need to hit you for a few casualties from a distance with range and suddenly that cav unit is completely useless if it's too small. A single larger unit will give the cav more staying power and more usefulness in combat.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Yeah, my boar boys are going back to 10 strong. Those 5 gobbo strong wolfriders are nothing more than warmachine hunters now, really not much use for them anymore.

Hmmm.. i wonder how the Squig Hoppers, the O&G only skirmishing unit, will work out now.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:49 am

Fast Cav / Light Cav really only have 2 purposes at this point.

1. Deployment Baiting

2. War machine / Ranged Hunters

1. You can use these smaller units to throw your opponent off of your deployment strategy, as was done in the previous edition.

2. They can sneak around easier and get at those pesky machines that can pretty much wreck an O&G armies day.

If you take either of those units 15 strong at the start you'll be better off when it comes to flanking. Allows you absorb some hits on your way in, and still have enough to fight back. 10 strong is just a liability for the light cav. Heavy Cav can get away with it, Light Cav can't.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 am

I'd say light cav can still run 5 strong because your not hitting the main enemy blocks. Stay small and war machine hunt - which will be a critical duty.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:59 am

A 15 strong wolfrider unit is nothing more than free victory points Smile

Bretonians got lucky, 3 guys count as a rank for them, so not much change on how they make their knight units. Although it may be even harder now for them to break a unit if evryone is gonna be stubborn.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down