The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon

4 posters

Go down

Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon Empty Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon

Post by Hurricane Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Folks,

I'm back from Historicon, recovering after a successful campaign of drinking beer and pushing Soviet tanks! The I-95 tournament on Thursday night had 34 players on great terrain, and Nationals had 90 players Friday - Sunday, 9 games over 72 hours.... Wow! I'm working on a detailed AAR, but I did pretty well. I was lucky enough to finish 7th at the I-95 tournament and 4th overall at Nationals. All of which means I'll probably get beat down at the next tournament I go to....

There were Blitzkrieg books and some of the early war army boxes available as prizes. Interesting stuff. I'm looking forward to early war! I guess I better start painting all those French S-35s, Panhard 178s and H-35/39s I've stockpiled over the years!

BF had some announcements that haven't made the website yet. They are tweaking the qualifier system so that tournaments qualify 1 fewer player than before, so 12 players = 1 qualified, 18 players = 2, etc. They are also going to 3 national tournaments per year, one each for EW, MW and LW. Right now the schedule is:

EW: 1750 points at Historicon 2011 in Valley Forge, PA (July 7-10 2011)
MW: 1750 points (1500 + 2 x 250 point sideboards) at Adepticon 2011 in Chicago, IL (April 1-3, 2011)
LW: TBD - in either Texas or on the West coast.

In addition, they are proposing a Masters tournament, which is a 16 player invitational tournament. The top General and top Overall from each National event, plus the top players from the Rankings HQ site to make the 16. This is an event that I am very interested in, and I hope we can get a good number of players into this.

Price Rise: Ugh! If you haven't seen the news, prices are rising on Monday, August 9th. New price codes are here: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2018 A standard tank is going up to $12.50. I must admit that I'm baffled by the timing on this. Stock up if you can. Also remember that there are other suitable manufacturers of 15mm figures if the price increase is going to break the bank. Email me offline for links if interested.

September 25th

Flames of War tournament at Hurricon in Orlando, FL (http://www.hmgs-south.com/hmgs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=61)

HURRICON Laura Kirkland Memorial Flames of War Tournament
Orlando, FL September 25th 2010
http://www.hmgs-south.com/hmgs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=61
Courtesy of Orlando FoW, Dogs of War and Coliseum of Comics

• $5 entry fee in addition to the convention entry fee
• 30 player, 1500 point Late war qualifier for 2011
• The tournament will consist of Domination (I95 Mission), No Retreat (in Firestorm box or on Battlefront website), and Breakthrough.
• 1500 points, 2 lists.
• Lists will consist of:
• Core common to both lists of at least 1000 points containing, at a minimum, the HQ and all required combat platoons, plus weapons and support platoons as desired.
• List A plug in (500 points or enough to bring core to 1500): Can include HQ upgrades, increases in size to platoons in the core, upgrades to platoons in the core, Air Support, or additional combat, weapons or support platoons.
• List B plug in (500 points or enough to bring core to 1500): Same as list A.
• Lists are revealed after mission, table and Attacker/Defender are determined.
• Army lists including unit history must be submitted to edleland@earthlink.net no later than 19 September 2010. I will not check army lists the morning of the tournament! Army lists must include the following information:
• Player's full name, email address, mailing address and phone number
• Army list being used (For example: Udarny Strelkovy Batalon)
• Book or website reference (For example: Stalin's Onslaught)
• Format of army lists will be provided
• Only the following army lists are allowed to take multiple companies:
• US Rangers (Festung Europa)
• US Rangers (Bloody Omaha)
• Commando Troop (Festung Europa)
• Churchill squadron Italy (PDF)
• Churchill squadron Normandy (PDF)
• 3 Rounds over 1 day, 2.5 hours per round.
• More Lessons From The Front Again are in effect. Located on the Forums under Rules Questions. Phil’s experimental rule for remote controlled demolition carriers is in effect.
• Please refer to the following list of books, PDFs and website articles for legal armies.
Festung Europa
D Minus 1
Blood Omaha
D-Day
Villers-Bocage
Monty’s Meatgrinder
Cobra
Stalin's Onslaught
Fortress Europe
Hammer and Sickle
River of Heroes
Hell's Highway
A Bridge Too Far
Dogs and Devils
Any army list available on the Flames of War website listed under Official 1944-45.
• All armies must be fully painted. Any miniatures not fully painted will be pulled from the table prior to starting the tournament.
• Rounds will be determined by game play results and each player will be seeded with an opponent of his caliber.
• We will also attempt to match up Axis vs. Allies whenever possible but do not expect every game to work out historically.
• Battlefront software will not be used. Overall prizes will be based on VP with a bonus of +2 per win. Soft scores will be used as a tie breaker for ties in VP (Sportsmanship, then combined Painting/History). Separate prizes will be given for Painting, Unit History and Sportsmanship.
• Help with terrain is appreciated. There will be a Best Table prize.
• Players will be able to bid for their first round opponent.
Schedule (September 25th 2010)
0800 Check in
0830 Terrain Walk Through / Table Assignments
0900 – 1130 Game 1
1130 – 1230 Lunch
1230 – 1500 Game 2
1530 – 1800 Game 3
1800 – 1830 Awards

Contact Ed Leland (edleland@earthlink.net) for details.

Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon Empty Re: Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon

Post by Hurricane Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Oh and anyone that got rolled over by Ed in our last tournament. Don't feel bad. He took 4th at the national tournament.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon Empty Re: Message from Ed Leland and Info on Hurricon

Post by scurrdi Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:21 am

Indeed. Feel honored at that, since you helped him play-test his list Smile

I'm gonna try to make it to this one. Should be interesting to be sure.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 am

I usually attend with my family, but my finances are tight right now. I'm going to try and sneak out on a 1 day trip like you did for Recon.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 am

Thinking about this one. Do we want to organise a practice tournament so we can see how this will play?
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm always up for a tournament! Interesting format to the tournament, I must say.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I'll ask Ed for the PDF of the first mission so we can try it out.

I'm swinging by Joel's today so I'll see about having an FOW tournament in August. Any particular weekends not good for folks?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm

The 28th I have my Fantasy Football Draft. Other than that, I should be free.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:16 pm

As far as I can see, I'm good any Saturday. Sunday is a bit more problematic, but may be able to swing it.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:00 am

I'm down to carpool to this event.... Any takers??
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male
Number of posts : 26
Armies : Empire/Germans
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 pm

I'll definetly be driving up Saturday morning for sure, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stay 1 night or not. Usually they have a GW Fantasy tournament on Sundays as well, so I might stick around for that.

I checked my football schedule though and the game that week is Friday Night, so I'm ready to rock and roll!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Mikey,

The wife and I were thinking of going Thursday and coming back Sunday. When were you thinking of going?
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm most likely down for a 1 day trip. I'll be looking to car pool too. Mikey, Stephan, Bill?
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am

The wife wants to go longer than one day. She's angling after hitting Harry Potter land at Universal. She can happily leave me at the con that day.... Laughing
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down