The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help on TK

+3
luis the young
scurrdi
King Hiss
7 posters

Go down

Need help on TK  Empty Need help on TK

Post by King Hiss Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:35 pm

so i have a list that uses lots of shooting nd infantry but only 4 chariots nd one of the chariots is a character the unit of three another thing is wats up with the magic face is it still the same or do i only use wat i get from winds of magic

King Hiss
Traitor Guardsman

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Need help on TK  Empty Re: Need help on TK

Post by scurrdi Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:04 pm

your magic phase stays exactly the same, which makes Tomb Kings pretty nasty IMO.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 am

TKs are pretty weak right now, they got hit very hard by 8th.
Our overprized units got even worse now since fear effects took a dump.
Chariots, a TK specialty, took a massive hit since they cant negate ranks anymore on a flank charge.
Innitiative strike order means that our small units will most of the time strike last and will probably crumble at the end of combat.
Carrion are pretty much useles with the new Flight rules.
Cloak of dunes got nerfed cause of flight rules
Destroyer of Eternities, our best weapon, pretty much became useles. Always strike last, and the FAQ says that you cant use its ability anymore during magic with Smite.
Scorpions cant be the character assasins they were before since they will either strike at the same time or strike last and be destroyed.
Our crappy cavalry is worse than crap now.
Our infantry units have a max number of models in them, Tomb Guard can only go 25 max ...wtf.

Good things:
Our magic remained unchanged.
We actually get a more decent Magic defense now.
We can have 2 dispell items, Scroll and Brooch of the great desert
Catapults are more accurate now.
The Casket works on ANY opponets that has line of sight to it, even in hand to hand !
Tomb Guard is the way to go, get them 21 big, 7 wide, charge them in and cast smite on them to get 14 Killing blows attacks in the magic phase. And then again on the hand to hand phase.
Ushabti improved now, either 6 big using them 3 wide, or 4 big using them 2 wide, they dont have great weapons so they dont attack last, and they get stomp attacks.
Bone Giant is still to expensive, but improved a bit with Thunder Stomp.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:13 pm

The biggest hit was to the chariots, which have zero chance to break R&F units now. Any TK player will tell you that chariots stuck in combat are dead chariots.

The infantry are over-priced now. The low Init is a killer.

I hope the new book revives them. If so, I'll rebuild a new army to 8th edition specs.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 pm

I think TKs have a lot of potential. They aren't very fast but with the amount of magic you've got (you ALWAYS get your spells off and can really hurt someone) you can force them to you via shooting and then use smite, etc, to get double hits in CC.

Just a different feel now, the old army method doesn't work anymore, so you've gotta change it up a bit.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm

TK magic is still strong. You should get a few free catapult shots off and a few extra archer volleys will fly.

The problems start when you enter close combat. Simply put, you have a very low chance to win.

Elves are fragile, but fast. So they go first and get rerolls.
Dwarves and Lizzies are slow but strong and well armored.
WoC are fast, strong, and well armored. They rule in 8Ed CC.

Undead are slow, poor strength, and poor armor. You'll usually go second, take BIG damage, loose, and then crumble further. You won't run, but you also won't hold up too long at all.

In the old edition, you could magicly power your chariots into favorable combats where you roll through units and cause alot of damage. Today everything is steadfast vs. Chariot units. I considered using a unit 9 wide to hit the hordes with massive impact hits, but it's a really expensive all or none shot. The risk mitigator in me says not a good idea to build an army around.

Luis already outlined most other issues.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 pm

So why don't you reverse the philosophy and use the chariots in the front and infantry in the flank? Sure you might not strike first, but removing the ranks is critical.

I dunno, I just see a lot of potential with them, especially with the ability to shoot and fight in both phases. Maybe I'm just crazy.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by King Hiss Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

i was thinking bout the tk or the brets i understand the brets nd my woc but not the tk
yea i was thinking bout a skeleton shooting line with 2 units of tomb guard nd a catapulte lead by the queen nd 1 unit of 3chariots nd a prince in it 2 priests nd a icon bearer on foot
or
a bret army its 4 the tourny i wanted to try one of the 2 cause i only play woc normally nd i want a army thats a lil different lol
my fav 2 things r vikings nd knights lol the tk is just an idea but it like wierds me out i dont understand how 2 use undead armys lol
but i want to be able to use the brets nd woc armys well

King Hiss
Traitor Guardsman

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Well, if you like knights then play Brets. Do you have the models to do it?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:33 am

Bill VC are doing great. you just cant use the 7th ed train of thinkings with them. As for Tomb Kings well they took a hit(a big hit) but there magic is solid. They have dropped in the rankings.

But then again we have not seen that many people playing them with different style lists. All we have been seeing is basicaly the same seventh ed lists.
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:46 pm

I assure you that having solid magic that generates a few extra attacks will not solve your TK CC problems.

I did build a couple of nice TK lists last night that might stand a chance using attrition......
2x40 warriors w/ shields, 3x25 tomb guard
2x40 warriors w/ shields, 18 ushabti

Nobody is playing these build because nobody wants to dump big bucks into an army they are not sure will work. That's $390 in TG or over $300 in Ushabti. I doubt the new plastics will change that much.

VC are much higher on the power curve and really don't compare.
Better characters, spells, abilities, and toys. VC ghouls and Grave Guard are a much more solid option.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Undead in general took a big hit, actually anything that causes relied on psychology to win battles got hit hard.
You are not paying for an ability that doesnt have the same punch as before, so all skeletons with horrible stats are very expensive for what they do.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:37 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:I assure you that having solid magic that generates a few extra attacks will not solve your TK CC problems.

I did build a couple of nice TK lists last night that might stand a chance using attrition......
2x40 warriors w/ shields, 3x25 tomb guard
2x40 warriors w/ shields, 18 ushabti

Nobody is playing these build because nobody wants to dump big bucks into an army they are not sure will work. That's $390 in TG or over $300 in Ushabti. I doubt the new plastics will change that much.

VC are much higher on the power curve and really don't compare.
Better characters, spells, abilities, and toys. VC ghouls and Grave Guard are a much more solid option.

wraiths are great as well

but yea....tomb kings do need some working.
But bill don't to just trade for your armies or ebay them???? lol
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:50 pm

I built and painted everyone of those TK - they were hard to let go.

Luis hit it on the head - with the psycology nerfs, undead cost too much. They may get cheaper in a new book, but then you'll just need to buy more.

I did love that army and I'm trying to put myself into a position to rebuild it if I like the new book.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:34 am

Bill, you got rid of it!? damn, I would have waited until the new book came out... I hope you really hate the new book, that way you won't regret the decision huh Evil or Very Mad
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:25 am

Im never getting rid of my TKs, i painted evryone one of those bastards, you would have to offer me a flock of hot virgin blonde Hooter models in trade for me to even consider it.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 am

I have seen fully painted armies go for nearly a grand. Not hooters blonde, more like ok looking chubby Friday's waitress.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by King Hiss Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 am

Lol i got the modles i need but i dnt know wat to play yet lol im already used to getting into combat fast i wanted to try out a all marauder army but theres to many modles nd i dont have them lol the brets look kool lol nd i think that they got a lot better and if u take 2 or 3 wizards with the lore of life u can revive shit and make ur menatarm tougher lol

King Hiss
Traitor Guardsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 am

Diosamblet wrote:Bill, you got rid of it!? damn, I would have waited until the new book came out... I hope you really hate the new book, that way you won't regret the decision huh Evil or Very Mad

like you warriors
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:52 am

No regrets
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum