The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8th ed and where we stand

+6
luis the young
Ovich
scurrdi
ShadowMaster
Diosamblet
Dakai
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

8th ed and where we stand  Empty 8th ed and where we stand

Post by Dakai Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Over that past few months we have all had a chance to play 8th and all have tired out different armies of ours and of others. So i would like to see who we all feel about it and how it effects our armies and play style as a community.

I will start. When i first looked at the rule set i though they where complete rubbish, but after playing a few games i found that my option on this edition had changed. I still find it to be a watered down version of WFB. It is easier for new people now to get into the game which is plus. I am waiting to see how the next handful of army books are going to work in this new edition before i make my total judgement. My only displeasure is with these 3 things, True Line of sight, how charges work, and how easy it is to get off an Irresistible Force. I will not go into how i would like to see this change cause that is the not the point of this post. lol

As for my armies well let me go thru the list.

Lizardmen- My first army, they have never seems to suck in any edition sense i started playing. This edition i feel has made my saurus heavy themed army more of a force to be reckoned with.

Night Goblins- They are still fun but now they have new set of head aches. All of the extra random rules added on to an already random army is something that i just cannt get my head around. I will be shelving them till i see the new book. Should it be crap then it goes on the selling block.

Dark Elves- My old list is seeming to be the norm which i find rather comical. But with the importance of rock hard infantry they lose out to the high elves once again. I will hold on to a core 2,000 points and place it on a shelf. The rest is currently up for sale

Warriors of Chaos- just like my lizardmen.....no complaints. So looking forward to having a blocks of 30-40 chaos warriors!!!!!!!!!!! The new rule set did helped them in a big fucking way

Empire- I have played a few games with my empire and have enjoyed them. With my style of play i feel that they have gotten a massive boost in power and combat effectiveness. But at the end of the day they are still humans with crappy armour saves so what you going to do.

-that is my view-
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

8th ed and where we stand  Empty Re: 8th ed and where we stand

Post by Diosamblet Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 am

I've played a few games here in Japan against a WoC army with my lizzies, and I don't find the random charge distances or TLoS to be much of a problem. Then again neither of us have tried out long-shot charges, nor do we have cannons or the like which really benefit from seeing through forests etc.

I obviously need to play with and against more armies, but so far it hasn't been a huge difference from 7th.

One thing I have enjoyed is the removal of unit strength and the addition of +1 CR for charging. It meant that by charging a tzeentch sorc. lord on disk with terradons and skinks I was getting +1 for charge and +1 for flank. He then failed to kill more than one skink and lost by 1, and got run down Twisted Evil
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 am

Over-correction would be the term I would use.

Anything outside of big infantry blocks is now religated to pure supportive roles. You see much less monsters and "cool stuff" in most competitive lists.

Sorcs on discs are cannon fodder.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm

I tend to agree that a lot of the 'non-infantry' units are off to the sides now, perhaps it's better that way since infantry are supposed to be core, but as a cavalry player, I miss it a bit.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Points costs are suppost to balance units, not rules. That's why a bloodthirster is 450 base points, because he is equal to 37 Bloodletters or 112 Night Gobos, etc.

While low and unranked units can win combat, they can no longer break units often enough to be reliable to win with. Mix that with the exposed point loss to a single (now super accurate) war machine shot and you suddenly need to leave too many cool models at home on tourney day.

Greater Daemons
Dragons
War Alters
Stanks
Scream Bell
Plague Furnace
Carnisaur
Steggys
Chariots

I'll say it again. Over-correction. They probably learned it from Mythic.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 pm

the random charge range has made things rather difficult with my goblins.

@bill i was not speaking from a tourney day mind set. I was talking about an overall feel. but hey i can respect where you coming from. How do you think this edition has effected you style of play and list building? that was the point of this thread lol.

@Matt. It is kick ass that you have been able to get games in japan. Sadly it is only against warriors

On a side note now looking over the Beastmen book with 8th rules. They are not bad at all
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 pm

really only two people...lol
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:00 pm

I still have a general positive view of the new addition, although like you Nate, I still don't see the point in some of the watered down rules.

Taking away guessing ranges just made the game that much less interesting, so I think overall that was a dumb move, even though I have an empire army.

The same goes for being able to charge if you're within range, no matter how much wheeling or maneuvering you have to do.... once again, waters it down, and creates less of a need for true tactical thought. Pre-measuring in general has taken away that skill factor of knowing your distances.

I do like the removal of autobreaking from fear causing units. That never made a lot of sense to me in general so I think that was a plus.

Magic does see a lot of risk reward, more than ever before, lot's of people rolling 6 dice just to get that irresistible, only to see their level 1 mage get blown up.

Overall my impression is still that it's a fun game.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:50 pm

I've heard people say that the tactics have shifted from being able to accurately estimate measurements to being good at risk assesment in the new edition.

I like the new rules for charging, because we used to waste a lot of time trying to get that one unit to wheel just another 1/4 inch to make the charge.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Im liking the new rules. At first i thought they were to damn simple and that it ruined the game. But with all the new builts for armies, it still has more strategy than a 40k game.

I dont like what they did to cavalry, they weakened them way to much. A cavalry charge on the flank of a unit should be horrendously devastating, but now most of the time they just bounce back.

I HATE the new warmachine rules, why the hell take away guessing ranges ? Is like evryone now has a GPS devise that can pinpoint exactly the distance to an enemy.

Horde rules were long overdue, it finally gives a benefit for HUGE units of crappy troops, all the books u read it shows massive hordes of goblins overwhelming better trained troops on force of numbers alone.

I like magic, the whole Winds of Magic instability fits the game very well.

I hate the High Elves and how stupid tough they are now in hand to hand, but i guess it makes sense fluff wise, i mean the bastards fought the freaking Demon Invasion when the Gates colapsed and actually won.

Change to the Auto Break from fear is great ! it was such a stupid rule, look i got ONE more Zombie than you..hahaa, you auto break !

Im not to fond of the change to the charges, i mean, if you roll well, an infantry Unit can charge like 16 inches ! A BIG part of the game to me was the whole trying to get that charge on the right spot and outmanuvering your opponent with feints and stuff so i could have a good charge angle. All thats pretty much gone now Sad
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 pm

I like the new rules from the last addition there are areas that I thinkshould not have been changed but they have been listed by each of the earlier post.

Biggest thing I like is the change to magic makes it much more intresting and also the way we build armies now opens up some really fun lists.

Armies that really need new books are Brits, and tomb kings more for stats being fixed and some cost of troops.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:52 pm

I agree Garry. The magic rules are better since you now get some magic defense with or without fielding a mage. Limit to one dispel scroll is also a good switch.

Wood Elves need a new book. Limits to unit size and new skirmish rules hurt them pretty bad.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:25 am

GW is absolutely brilliant in creating a desire for the rules to be change.

You guys are primed for version 9 already. "Boy, I hope they make Calvary what it is used to be"

Ovich, your Skaven must be cleaning everyone's clock. Their are one of the biggest infantry based armies at there.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Seeing as it's going to happen, don't see why anyone wouldn't be interested in changes to come.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 am

What if GW came out with the best rule set ever. Would you want them to change it?

Look at chess, it's been around for hundred if not thousand of years with little to no change. And chess is not a simple game. There are many books on the subject and you could study for years. For a lot of people chess is their single hobby.

So what I am proposing is not impossible. GW could make a good product and not have to change it and still make a good profit.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:13 am

Maybe you should stick to chess.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 am

Kyle wrote:Maybe you should stick to chess.

ROFL
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Kyle wrote:Maybe you should stick to chess.

Kyle, that took a lot thought...

for you.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm

I could have done up some charts and power points to help make my point, but didn't want to lose you.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:25 pm

As in the past all that effort would olny have confirmed that you are wrong.

jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:30 pm

You can't argue with charts
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Jerry i love how you take over a board that has nothing to do with your problems with GW. Shut the fuck up
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Went to a bigger GW and trashed some vampire counts twice at 1500 with lizards. It's amazing how the new rules have nerfed that army, and made lizards sick.

Anyways, playing a rematch at 2000 pts tomorrow, which is the normal points range my opponent plays.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:15 pm

With the correct build VCs can still be very tough. Big blocks of Ghouls and Grave Guard are tough to deal with.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Indeed, my brother's VC army is stupid powerful, as he was infantry heavy with grave guard, etc.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum