The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Gaming at Sunshine!

+4
KingdomCome
ShadowMaster
Kyle
scurrdi
8 posters

Go down

Fantasy Gaming at Sunshine!  Empty Fantasy Gaming at Sunshine!

Post by scurrdi Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am

After being in the store to play a game with Nate, we spent a while speaking with Joel about the state of things with Fantasy, etc. etc.

Joel is working on making two flat boards that designed for Fantasy & FOW ONLY. We play tested one of the boards and while it was a little difficult to use the movement trays on them (it's like a cobblestone sorta thing, but not super large) I think we overall found that they would work.

I mentioned to Joel the status on the terrain. I mentioned how it was great that Max was making all of this terrain, but that it could only be used for 40k. I explained to Joel that if Max could create more "system neutral" terrain which could be used for either system, then I think will be a lot happier in the Fantasy crowd, as it won't look like Joel is only supporting those who are in the store at that moment.

Joel then responded back that he needs to know exactly what terrain we would like to have for Fantasy, which brings me to the point of this post...

Please post below what types of Fantasy terrain you would like to see at Sunshine. I will let this be up for a week, after which I will compile it all together to provide Joel with a list of what the community would like to see.

Even if someone has already posted terrain you would like, please repost it again. I will put terrain that has the most "hits" or comments from different players at the top of list.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Gaming at Sunshine!  Empty Re: Fantasy Gaming at Sunshine!

Post by Kyle Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 am

Why is so much of the terrain being made for a specific setting/game anyway? I would think that it be best that majority of the stores terrain be generic that would work in any setting.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

I cannot answer that directly, but I would imagine it has to do with the general will of the person making it. Also, specific terrain for 40k would have it's benefits from a image-standpoint (blown up vehicles and such) but honestly, I don't really know.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 am

We don't need a week long discussion or poll.
The terrain needed is in the rulebook Dan - page 142.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:29 am

They are already working on a fantasy town board. Which looks nice BTW. I'd say an orc village board. Maybe a cool grave yard with family tombs to block line of sight. That would be bitching. A sweet marsh or jungle board with water features. They have some water stuff on the 40k boards and they look good.
So in order: grave yard board, orc village, marsh or jungle.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

ShadowMaster wrote:We don't need a week long discussion or poll.
Awww... don't be a Debby Downer Bill. This is a good opportunity to get some themed boards. The terrain isn't set in place, but the tables have their own corresponding terrain pieces. It could definitely help draw in new blood.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Themed boards is a big undertaking though and takes up lots of space, while also being limited in how many people can make use of it. I just think it would be more productive for the store all around to make generic terrain pieces that can support all games and as many tables that can need it. Themed board is a big space taker that will only be used for a specific game, and just seems to further divide the terrain issue.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Im gonna say we need pieced for soft cover and hard cover, hedges, walls, some bushes
Also a couple of obelisks some wells couple of marches. I would really like to see a spider haunted wood with cobwebs. Wrap the wen arround the individial trees so they can be moved.
A nice piece would be an egyptian pyramid combine it with a pond and some palm trees, nice desert board.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:52 pm

MR. Crabs aint gonna sink money into a game he doesnt think is bringing in revenue. Face it we cant cry about terrain for other systems when nobody shows up to play them. 40k appeals to the masses and brings in money...therefore you invest in that system. I have armies for all three of these systems. Id love to see all of them flourish, but FoW and Fantasy wax and wane way more often than 40k. So my French Fusiliers will have to battle over a volcanic landscape with giant lava flows or steam punk factories.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Some of the old Fantasy terrain has been converted to 40k as well. Sucks, but what are you gonna do? If I werent married with kids Id be playing all f the systems as much as I could...in between trying to have some trim on the side.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:We don't need a week long discussion or poll.

I agree with Bill. We're gonna sit here and cry, but no one will dedicate time to build and provide any of this terrain for the other systems. I wouldnt. Ive got better things to do than building terrain and giving it away to be broken and neglected. Ive managed to collect some great terrain for all of the systems. I say if you have some bring it in to play and then take it home. Problem solved. Id be willing to loan some of my terrain for Fantasy and FoW to people I knew and trusted. Bill,Luis,Dan...ect.. Ive actually got some nice Fantasy terrain...monoliths,a Demon gate,Gargoyle pillars.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:01 pm

I would love to see my soviets charging over a volcanic landscape filled with skulls and wrecked landraiders...
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:01 pm

luis the young wrote:I would love to see my soviets charging over a volcanic landscape filled with skulls and wrecked landraiders...

And you aint talking about Vostoyans.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 pm

All I meant was that the needed terrain is pretty obvious. I don't know what kind of responses Dan was expecting.

Woods
Buildings and Towers
Swamp/Marsh/Lake/River
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by chef xenos Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm

having just finly played a game of fantsey recently and had a chance to fully explore the terrain options i have come to one conculsion.......ALL TERRAIN SHOULD BE MAGIC TERRAIN!
chef xenos
chef xenos
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 814
Armies : {40k and apoc units} tyranids,gene-cult,exocrine,dominatrix,fortress of faith {bfg}tyranids {battletech} void-stalkers(merc/pirates)
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://john80687.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm

I was resistant to using the 8Ed random terrain system, but the first time I did it ended up being both crazy and awesome.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Yeah, the terrain system is actually kinda cool, though I'm not sure how much I'd like it in a tournament setting.

I'm just looking for all different kinds of ideas, both General and specific. I want to show Joel that there is a response to his inquiries, and what it is the gaming community wants. If he chooses not to provide it, that is his thing. But at least this way, we are providing him with a straight up document that says "we would like X, Y, and Z."

A themed board would be great, maybe I'll sit down with Max and see if we can brainstorm a way to make a mutual theme board. Like a jungle or desert board that could be used for both systems. Therefore it's a win-win!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm

a large river, FOW product
bridge for said river
a few new forests
maybe another building or two would be nice

marshes and the like would be cool as well
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm

i would sit down this them aswell
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down