The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flying charges and landing

3 posters

Go down

Flying charges and landing Empty Flying charges and landing

Post by Diosamblet Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:03 pm

Imagine two enemy units, one behind the other with maybe an inch between them. I have a wyvern (flyer, large target) which can both see and reach either unit. Now, let's say I want to charge the second enemy unit, the one behind the first. Can I still do it if I have nowhere to land? Do we move the unit back to make space, or is the charge impossible?
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Flying charges and landing Empty Re: Flying charges and landing

Post by lordfairfax2001 Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:51 pm

On page 21 of the Rulebook it states that in the event that it is impossible to properly align units because of interposing terrain, other models, or whatever, it is acceptable to move the charged unit to allow the charger to get in. So, I would say yes, you can charge. The old "bunker" formation will not work against monstrous flyers that can see over and fly over intervening models/units.
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 739
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Its a tricky interpretation, because I think it hinges on whether you are moving the enemy unit to align your monster or to make its charge move. We know that interposing models and terrain can block a charge move and make the charge fail.

The reason I ask is that a flying monster is a great answer to vampire lords, but what would happen if they are bunkering behind blocks of undead? I don't want this rules question to arise in a tournament.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:52 pm

I read in the rulebook also where it states that "the most important rule" should be used and that the charged should move models out of the way. I will have to review it in more detail, but it basically renders the "bunker" formation moot against monstrous flyers.
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:34 am

Flyers cannot land on formations unless charging them. The question is, does charging the second unit constitute "landing" on the first unit which was not charged?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:32 am

I wonder that GW never addressed this in a FAQ
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:38 am

Ovich wrote:Flyers cannot land on formations unless charging them. The question is, does charging the second unit constitute "landing" on the first unit which was not charged?
I'm obviously of a particular mind, but I believe the rulebook answers this when it states that you should realign the charged unit to let the charger get in, if other models are in the way. Therefore, if the flyer has no room to land, realign the charged unit to let it land.
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum