The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses.

4 posters

Go down

The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses. Empty The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses.

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 pm

I had been inspired by the use of mounted heroes inside of non mounted units to provide armor bonuses and a few extra attacks out of a single 'slot' in a formation of units.

This led me to quite an odd situation, and one I figured I could share with you folks for a bit of deliberation.

What happens when the mounted model is larger than the neat 25x50 sized base?

The key example I wonder is a 50x50 herald of khorne on a juggernaut inside a unit of bloodletters (who are 25x25)
The front rank of '5' would look simply like the full command and the juggernaut, as well as the second rank, and then a third rank of 5 and so on.

What would this units rank bonus be? Would it be 3 if it had 4 ranks, or 2, because of the 50x50 model inside of the first two ranks.

Other sources of Fantasy (warseer, etc.) have given wildly different answers, which is why I came here particularly as I'm pretty kosher with most of the rules interpretations given here.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses. Empty Re: The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses.

Post by Ovich Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:09 am

From what I understand, whatever spaces you take up, in this case 4, is still counted toward ranks.

So for instance, if you have a squad of 11 Saurus Temple Guard, with a Slannn in the second rank, taking up 4 spaces, you will actually get the +2 combat res from rank, the same way as if you had 15 Slann.

I think this is primarily the reason why the character must be unit strength 4 or less, they don't want a character taking up a whole rank.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses. Empty Re: The vagarities of base sizes and rank bonuses.

Post by Autarch (CM) Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:48 am

Ovich wrote:From what I understand, whatever spaces you take up, in this case 4, is still counted toward ranks.

So for instance, if you have a squad of 11 Saurus Temple Guard, with a Slannn in the second rank, taking up 4 spaces, you will actually get the +2 combat res from rank, the same way as if you had 15 Slann.

I think this is primarily the reason why the character must be unit strength 4 or less, they don't want a character taking up a whole rank.

I'm in that same train of thought as well (I had entirely neglected to remember the details about a character and their US).

But there's always precedence to check on a ruling (since it's open to interpretation).

In addition, the Juggernaut still counts as a Calvary model -in spite of the 50x50 base size- which is why I asked, as a model that size doesn't normally (barring things like the Slann, Screaming Bell, Grail Reliquae - which are larger,) end up inside a unit of infantry.

Last edited by Autarch (CM) on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:50 am

I agree with Stephan.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 pm

It was one of the Changes in the 7th edition that people had a tough time accepting at first. If you go to the character section, it's pretty clear that any character can join a unit unless it's a flyer or a chariot. A Flyer cant join a unit and a Character on Chariot can only join a unit of chariots. It makes no mention of Unit Strength or base size. Now, most monstrous mounts that are unit strength 5, are flyers. So in general, if a character model is unit strength 5, it can't join a unit.

No where is it actually written that the space taken up by a Character is part of the ranks. But I think it's one of those Wacky GW things where a person has to say, "it's not written anywhere that the ranks don't count either"
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:19 pm

maybe people are thinkign that it works the same way as the Screaming Bell, the Bells' entry actually says that even though is like 3 ranks deep and displaces models, that the unit pushing it counts as having a rank bonus, so you could have 3 rats per rank and the bell taking the space of the other 2 and the unit counts as having 3 ranks
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down