The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Games

+2
Kyle
dork_jedi
6 posters

Go down

New   Games Empty New Games

Post by dork_jedi Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:36 am

Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up a new board game in the near future and I'm curious if any of you had any personal playtime with any of them:

Memoir '44
Command & Colors: Ancients
Cutthroat Caverns
Cosmic Encounter(the new FFG version)
Starfarers of Catan
Lifeboats
Mall of Horror
Ca$h 'n' Gun$
Entdecker
Munchkin Quest
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

New   Games Empty Re: New Games

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 am

Memoir '44 is a good game with lots of support with all it's expansions, it's very simple game which some don't like but it's a good WWII skirmish type of game thats pretty quick and easy to play. Only negative would be that it's really just a 2 player game, there are rules to play with more players but requires multiple boards and lot more players and time.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 am

If you are looking for a good war board game, I hear that Conflict of Heroes, awakening the bear is a great squad level tactical game that is more complex than Memoir 44 but very playable. I am going to demo that game on Thursday and will let you know how it plays.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Forcefed24 Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 am

I own cash and Guns, and have played it a few times. It's a fun game, gets a lotta laughs outta people playing..I forget how much Joel charged me for it. It's worth owning for the laughs you'll get while playing. It's basically chamber a blank or live round (secretly), on 3....point your gun at someone playing, Then you either lay your gun down or allow the other person to pull the trigger. And on and on it goes....Max played one of the first games at the store....and he started whimpering durig the showdown phase. lol....

I recommend it.
Forcefed24
Forcefed24
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 436
Armies : Thousand Sons, Necrons, Tyranids
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Conflict of Heroes is like a smoother and simpler version of Advanced Squad Leader, Memoir is a much faster paced and simple board game that covers larger range of the war. They are very different games though so hard to compare.

I've not heard good things about Mall of Horror myself but never played, everyone says that Last Night on Earth is a much better zombie survival game if thats what your looking for.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 am

Ive got the Last Night on Earth Game and the expansion. Its fun. Stephan(Ovich), Eric(Hurricane),my Brother and I have played it.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:08 am

Ca$h & Gun$s is not bad, but very much a filler party game. It's not very deep or clever, infinitely better when you're drunk. It's worth picking up if you're not looking for much, but given your list, I don't think it's your best choice.

Rokassan is right, Last Night on Earth is all sorts of awesome co-op fun.

From your list, my hands down favorite is Mall of Horror. It's a very cutthroat game where everyone works against each other, very much survivor-like: you have to keep taking votes and making alliances. I play it a lot with non-gamer friends and they LOVE it. It's really fun. I keep LNoE and Mall of Horror around, usually bring 'em out as a Zombie double feature. Both have been very successful with non-gamer friends, but Mall of Horror, once you get past the rocky first round that teaches the gameplay, brings out the dark side in peep. Highly recommended.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm trying to get a hand on some games that non-gamers can pick up, enjoy (and hopefully) request again and again.
This group was a little hesitant to try Battlestar Galactica but about 1/2way through the game they all seemed to be really getting into it and enjoying it. The other importand factor is: will i be able to get my wife to play. Her general response to games is "I'm not gonna play D&D" (which I haven't played in almost 15 years) when the subject of a new game is introduced. I think maybe Galactica was a fluke because she enjoys the show so much though.
Anyhoo, I appreciate the responses. I'm thinking something with a lot of player interaction, fuck your buddy type of stuff. I think Mall of Horror or Lifeboats will be best for the crew we'll be playing with.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down