The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are the Bretonnians cheesy?

4 posters

Go down

How are the Bretonnians cheesy? Empty How are the Bretonnians cheesy?

Post by scurrdi Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:10 pm

So, after watching everyone post of the crazy shit/cheese thats out there, I'm trying to figure out if it's just me, or are Bretonnians pretty cheese free.

I mean, I can't find anything to even compete with that Wood Elf Alter Machine-Gun or whatever, not to mention any of the new codexes.

I'm not trying to make the uber-cheese list, I'm just curious (since so many people have referred to them as "broketonnia" before) if there's anything particularly nasty about them.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

How are the Bretonnians cheesy? Empty Re: How are the Bretonnians cheesy?

Post by luis the young Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 pm

They used to be cheesy, and the GW gave the Engine of the Gods to the LizardMen and Broketonians became Fuckedtonians.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 am

Well, even before that I didn't see them as that powerful.

There aren't any really awesome abilities out there for Bretonnians that make the heroes sick as fighters (the best I've found so far is the "reroll hits and wounds in challenges")

I don't know, just reading all of the nasty options out there makes me wonder. I like the Bretonnians alot and still plan on playing them, I hope Twisted Evil

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:39 am

Bretts used to be one of if not the most powerful army out there. Fast Moving 2+ armour save 5_+ ward saves is difficult to face for most armies. You get static combat res from your lances that no other cavalry get because you rank up 3 wide, and the fact that most of your heroes are mixed in with that cavalry makes your lances that much tougher. You can easily protect your sorceresses by sticking them on a horse and putting them in a middle of a lance. Sure they can't cast any spells that require LOS but who cares, your mainly only using them for magic defense. Plus you have the best flying unit in the game in pegasus knights. The Flying Circus or Royal Air Force as some people put it is a variation of the army where you take a Lord on a Pegasus which allows you to take more pegasus knights than you normally would.

Now, in my opinion, what lead to the army generally being considered outdated and middle tiered are the newer armies that have come out.

Brettonians need to win on the charge. That's their bread and butter. They charge, sometimes with multiple lances, break their opponents and shatter the enemies line. But think about the armies that have come out that counter this.

High Elves - How do you win on the charge when the enemy gets to hit your first? Sword Masters or White Lions will fuck a unit of KOTR up. Also, Bolt throwers + Knights = shish kebab if your not careful . Also, too much magic.

Dark Elves - Ha, I charged you crappy spearmen..... wait a second, what do you mean you have an assassin in that unit ? See Bolt Throwers. See too much magic from above as well.

VCs - The charge means nothing. You kill 8 skeletons, you win by 6. Next turn I resurrect 13 skelletons and charge you in the flank with a vargulf or some cairn wraiths. Unbreakable units = death to Knights. Also, fear causing units are a pain in the ass for low leadership Bretts. HA Ha, I charge you in the front and in the flank.. oh wait I failed my flanking units fear test. I lose combat, I autobreak cause I'm outnumbered by a fear causing unit. Plus Brettonians have little that can counter VC magic

Daemons - Unbreakable units, nasty magic, immune to psych, cause fear. Need I go on.

WOC - Our knights are bigger, meaner, stronger, and tougher than yours. and we have trolls which will fuck knights up.

Lizardmen.. Cold Blooded means rarely break on charge. Engine of the Gods = the smell of burnt aluminum cans. Too much Slann Magic.

Need I go on. They were great. But now, like other armies, they can still be competitive but are outdated.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Yeah, well I always thought the Royal Air Force wasn't that break. While they benefited from being knights on wings, they lacked the static CR that made them potent, or the ability to deny opponents static CR.

Either way, I agree with you on all of those fronts, however, I think you can add a couple others, particularly some of the older armies like WE to the list.

We'll see how I fare when I come down.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 am

I like Bretts as far as the models go.

They were powerhouse in 6th edition, but today they are out of date. They should see a new book soon (next 4), but who knows the timeline for that to occur.

Little vanilla on options. Knights. Knights, and Knights.
They also play a little vanilla. "Point and Click" is the term I see used. Basicly point the lance formations at targets and go.

To answer your question - Bretts are not cheezy at all.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:59 am

I like them, their models look cool, their lance formations can be very nasty. Its just gonna take more
thinking to play them, you just cant just point them at something and have them roll over it like before.

I got me an army recently and gonna start working on getting them ready to play some games with, got me that nice model from reaper on a Pegasus and gonna use him as my lord, Bret lords can be Very nasty if you tool them up right.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Hehe, oh Luis, I think in a month you'll have played every army out there.

I think the Brets are a little more involved then point and click, particularly today. Sure you get the rank bonuses, but its nowhere near the same as an infantry block. I like 'em cause they need alot of maneuvering and you gotta think about it cause your model count is not that high.

Either way, I'll be back in town in a few weeks and I'll be trying out a few games with them, though I've got only 1000 pts at this point.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down