The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign

+8
Vycem
ptlax23
Death_Company_Orks
luis the young
The Eldar Guy
ShadowMaster
Dr. Love
scurrdi
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign Empty Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign

Post by scurrdi Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:28 pm

So, I'm sitting here really not at all focused on work, when a thought dawns on me.

Ya know, the guys at GW ran a couple fantastic events over the summers, like Medusa V and the Nemesis Crown Campaign. The past couple of summers they haven't done anything like that. I love fluffy sorts of things, so campaigns/goals really get me into the game.

So, who is stopping us from doing our own little version of this sort of campaign?

My question is to see how interested folks are in this idea. For me the focus to get more guys just playing Fantasy. We'd use the forums here as a basing point and play a sort of interactive campaign. I'd make a little map and set up some sort of back story and place peoples' armies in different spots and give their different goals then we'd go at it.

You'd go in and play a game of Fantasy against someone else and then write up a battle report and either give it to me or post it here on the forums. I'd pull out some of the senerios to use from a bunch of different places and then on say, a bi-monthly basis update the results (more points towards larger games obviously) and then shift things around accordingly.

What do you guys think? Would this be something were all interested in?

Either that or I considered just running a regular Campaign, but those don't seem to stick very long. I feel like this sort of campaign would make more sense for us.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign Empty Re: Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign

Post by Dr. Love Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Keith was gearing up to run a large Campaign, but when the Dragon closed down all of that went south. I Remember plenty of people (myself included) were interested.
Dr. Love
Dr. Love
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 344
Armies : Orks, Empire, Imperial Guard (WIP)
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:15 pm

They play Mighty Empires at Tate's evey other Sunday if your interested.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:12 am

I'm interested
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:31 am

So would i, tates is way to far for me !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Death_Company_Orks Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:00 pm

where is tate's at???
Death_Company_Orks
Death_Company_Orks
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 219
Armies : Blood Angels, and Death Company Orks. (Fantasy) Dwarfs
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:00 pm

I'm up for it, don't have any experience in this but if you guys don't mind then it sounds cool, Tate's is in Ft. lauderdale i think
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Wait, so are you going to run the Flames of War escalation or a Fantasy campaign? I want to start both but I don't know if I have the time to build up a fantasy AND a FoW army simultaneously...assembly alone is time consuming!

Also, would this WFB campaign be noob friendly?

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 am

Yes, for Vycem. I plan on trying to run both, though I don't know how well it will work. By designing it this way (below) it should allow me to operate freely. The FOW league should work roughly the same, but without the map concept.

The idea for this Fantasy campaign is very laid back. Generally most people can't commit to an extended day every other week (at least this has been my experience in the past with campaigns. The two I've seen (Fred ran one 3 years back and Stephan ran one a year ago I think) petered out because they got too big and then people couldn't make it.

Here's some more info about how I would try to operate it:

After uploading a map of the old world and zooming in on a section (say, the area around Kislev) we'd start finding out what armies will be present. Each player will need to create a background story for a hero/lord who is leading their army there (no special characters). I would probably help with why full races are present (aside from the obvious ones depending on our region).

I'd then divide the map up into regions. The different regions would be under control of certain armies. The armies will be split into good and evil (with a possible neutral for Lizzies, but unlikely). Multiple armies could be in one tile so that you have more then one type of opponent to play against AND to represent the massive nature of the campaign.

What will happen is as such: I will update the campaign map once every 2 to 3 weeks (on lets say a tuesday). There would be forums (hopefully!) for good and evil and you can discuss your basic strategy there. Then you will be able to fight out battles on your own time at whatever point value you'd like. You would be required to submit some sort of battle report, either by posting on the forums or by leaving it at Joel's / with me.

The reports would have to include who played (armies and players) as well as what region was being fought (who has attacking) and the mission played. I'll make some sort of fancy calculating device that computes what the scores are for each region based on the criteria above (armies (point values), region, and mission) and then in my update I will write up something fluffy (the rulezy) to simulate what has happened.

For example: Luis (O & G) and Bill (Tomb Kings) are in Region A and Dan (me, Bretonnians) and Cosmo (Empire) are in Region B. Cosmo plays one game at 2000 pts against Bill and wins. I however, play 3 games, 2 against Luis (at 1500 pts) and 1 against Bill (at 1500 pts) and lose all 3 (not gonna be that unlikely Shocked ). In my update I would explain that the evil players are gaining a foothold in Region B, and having focused their attacks, have driven the Bretonnians out of Region B.

You'd be able to play any point size, and obviously that will impact in some form. One huge battle (at 3500 or larger) in a region could represent a massive siege or decision making battle, whereas several smaller games could impact the land's production or resources for later. I will write up a bunch of rules explaining this.

Does that make sense? Is everything still interested in this sort of campaign? It's different but I think it will work better and still allow us to play in things like tournaments and whatever.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:19 am

Stephens Mighty Empires was great fun for a number of weeks one summer. Sam and his High Elves had a strong hold on the land. A number of power hexes had been discoved. The Tomb Kings and Chaos Warriors had secretly allied and were moving in to strike a blow to the pointy ear ones when life and schedules took over and things died out.

There were 2 big issues with how this campaign worked.

1) Power over time. Armies and banners grew over times, so new players started behind the others. Consistant players were ahead of those who missed a couple of days.

2) Turn based sequence. If 2 armies met in combat during a turn, everyone had to wait for the game to play out to continue. Side games went down, but progress on the campaign stops for 2+ hours.

Now since I've critiqued it, let me also say that as a group of kids with a whole free summer - this would have been kick ass to play out. Stephen had the whole story line going strong and we were all very busy exploring and unlocking secrets and taking turf while trying to find all of the hexes of power to win.

If you design this in a way to allow for a bit of flex in the play schedule, then I can join in. Perhaps a design where we do the role play, map moves, and resource management (army building) here ONLINE during the week and we meet for games when we can to earn extra resources and bonus stuff. We could run long and strong in this kind of format as we all have access for the bulk of the day.

Last edited by ShadowMaster on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:01 pm

We need one of those cool mega nerds with uber computer skills so they can make like a little program with a map so we can keep track of things online !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Thankfully I have some friends who can do stuff like that, I think. Very Happy

Bill, your idea is amazing and one that I would LOVE to do.

However of course, Luis pointed out a very critical component, that being the technical needs. I'm going to do some research about how to make this happen (perhaps there's a class a MDC that I can about this, or one of my friends can show me).

Either way, I'd love to make something like this happen. Now that I see there's some interest in it, I will try to push it further.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:43 pm

That sounds really fun, though I'm a little afraid since I have no experience - I worry I'd bring my entire side down.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Vycem wrote:That sounds really fun, though I'm a little afraid since I have no experience - I worry I'd bring my entire side down.

The best way to learn is to play and get your ass kicked a few times, if you watch closely and ask questions, YOU can do the ass kicking afterwards.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:06 pm

luis the young wrote:
Vycem wrote:That sounds really fun, though I'm a little afraid since I have no experience - I worry I'd bring my entire side down.

The best way to learn is to play and get your ass kicked a few times, if you watch closely and ask questions, YOU can do the ass kicking afterwards.

I agree - playing is the only way to learn.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Working on a simple map solution that will involve powerpoint and snagit.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign Empty Sample Map

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:21 pm

I spent the last few hours of the work week sucking on red stripe and building this map. You can edit this with powerpoint and post easy update screenshots with snag-it. What do you think?

Fantasy Nemesis Crown Campaign Sample10
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:28 pm

I am interested and would look forward to participating in this.. for sure.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah I had originally thought of that awhile back (like in February, cause I really really like campaigns). You can also do it with Paint.

Nice work though Bill!

Here was kinda what I was thinking if we did something like that. With a separate section for the forum involving rules, updates, etc. Participants would be able to view the map. They would then submit their orders via PM to the organizer who would collect them and on a particular time (say every other Tuesday at 8 pm) would put all of the moves in motion and update, giving some fluff and things to keep it interesting.

It could work it's just that the turns would go by pretty slowly so as to allow people time to set up and play their games. I think you'd have to make it so that the "neutral" tiles are controlled by some army or something like that.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:39 pm

scurrdi wrote: I think you'd have to make it so that the "neutral" tiles are controlled by some army or something like that.

My Ogres are pretty darn neutral, we'll fight for anybody that feeds us!

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:13 am

Dudes! I've never played Fantasy AND you've gotten me interested in playing now.

Thankfully, although I've never played, I have collected Bretonnians for a while. Now I have a reason to put them together.

I love roleplaying games, so the Fluff involved in your campaign idea is why I'm interested.
Dan
Dan
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:52 am

Count me in too with my Lizards. Just need to add a unit or two to get up to 2250 pts
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:39 pm

is this going to be kept at 2250 points the whole time or are the points going to switch depending on the week, or storyline...
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Great question ptlax.

There are several options we can go, and I haven't really decided which yet. My hope is that we can go along the lines of "play whatever level you'd like" within a range of minimum 1000 and maximum 3500.

However, there are other options, such as making it an escalation war, or doing it like General's Compedium / Mighty Empires where you gain points for having land, etc.

So, to answer your question, I don't know yet! Very Happy

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:11 am

I'd like to start with low point values just so I can actually use this to learn the game.

Man, I'm actually kinda psyched - I even started putting together the army! (well, a lot of the figs were second hand and a mess, so mostly taking apart, reassembling, cleaning mould lines, etc)

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next