The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game

+4
ShadowMaster
rokassan
luis the young
Ovich
8 posters

Go down

What is the most cost effective unit in the game. ?

Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_lcap18%Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_lcap9%Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_lcap9%Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_lcap0%Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_lcap0%Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_lcap36%Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Empty Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:01 pm

What , in your opinion, is the most cost effective unit in the game.

Compare overall effectiveness, psychological effect on the enemy, and point cost.

I know there's a whole lot more choices, but those are the ones that came to my head first. Put new ones in if I didn't think of them
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Empty Re: Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game

Post by luis the young Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Tomb Scorpion takes this by a large margin, nobody is gonna beat him.

85 points, you get a M-7, WS-4, STR-5, T-5, W-4, IN-3, A-4, LD-8, 5+ save, Undead construct that causes fear, immune to psych, Killing Blow, Poison and The it came from below ability, and can charge 14 on the turn it comes up.

Beat that.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game Empty Re: Most Cost Effective Unit in the Game

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:26 pm

I think we've gone over the effectiveness of Flamers ad nauseum, but boy are they awesome.

They are expensive, which almost forced me to pick something else, but D6 24 inch stn4 magical flaming attacks is ridonculous. Throw in the fact that they are BS 4, have a 4 + ward save and 2 wounds each....

Well, you guys know the story.

They make me what to buy a demon army.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 pm

How about zombies? Throw in some necromatic spells and you have an inexhaustible unit that can tie down anything.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:42 pm

How about Orc Boyz. 5 points, add a shield and their armor 4+ toughness 4 and +1 str on the charge.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:53 pm

Ovich wrote:I think we've gone over the effectiveness of Flamers ad nauseum, but boy are they awesome.

They are expensive, which almost forced me to pick something else, but D6 24 inch stn4 magical flaming attacks is ridonculous. Throw in the fact that they are BS 4, have a 4 + ward save and 2 wounds each....

Well, you guys know the story.

They make me what to buy a demon army.

Flamers shoot 18" and have a 5+ ward, but still they are awesome.

However, when you rate by cost effectiveness I'd agree with Luis that the Tomb Scorpion wins this one. For only 85 points you get a very tough and effective hero hunter, artillery hunter, light unit smasher. With S5, Poison and KB, they attack like an extra hero. The biggest risk with scorpions is that they don't surface, which is easily countered with a standard deployment. You can only get 2 flamers for that price.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 pm

I don't know. This is a toughy cause I find it hard to base one unit as "most effective" The Tomb Sorpion is solid, as are the Flamers, but they are solid at certain roles, as is everything else. It's the combinations that make them solid, IMO.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 am

Yeah. Sorry bill. I got all exited about your flamers. How come they don't have a 4+? 5 + plus the mark o T ?

Other Bill, ork boys are quite good but you have to factor in animosity, which can ruin your game, WS 3 , mv 4, and ld 7.

You know guys, the Gorger functions like the tomb scorpion but can't be killed due to combat res, which makes it even more of a pain in the ass
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:55 am

I almost voted for the hydra. For 175 points you get 7 st5 attacks and 6 st3 attacks w apiercing, with hatred. Plus you get the nasty st 5 breath weapon. It's M 6 and can ignore diff terrain. Factor in that the hydra takes all the hits, is T 5 witha 4+ as and ward save. No wonder why chris started taking 2. Oh yeah they cause terror too don't they?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Yes.

However, the hydra doesn't have a ward-save, it's regeneration. Very different, because you lose it to flaming attacks.

The problem with the hydra, for me at least, is that it's got the same problems that those other monsters face (tomb thingy, etc.). I ran down a hydra with a unit of peasants one time, due to combat res. While it's a decent number of attacks pumping out, it finds itself into a tough spot if singled out against a block of infantry, or anybody with some decent combat res.

Of course, it's a sweet model for 175 points.

Like I said, a tough decision for me. Each unit's got it's benefits, but only for particular situations.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Valhalla114 Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:15 am

Dryads...cheap high S, T, and WS with a ward save to boot. And being skirmishers doesnt hurt.
Valhalla114
Valhalla114
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 465
Armies : Guard, Sisers, =][=, Blood Angels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:33 am

I am the only one who voted for the hydra so far haha. The tomb scorpion is awesome, same with flamers, but I think the hydra is super effective and by far the most under-priced of them all. (I still think flamers are nastier, but a unit of 6 is still a hefty 210 po... damn, I thought it was 265 points or something... maybe flamers are worse than the hydra after all)
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:59 am

I know. That's why I voted for the flamers... their only 35 points more, but have the potential to cause a lot more damage.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Valhalla114 wrote:Dryads...cheap high S, T, and WS with a ward save to boot. And being skirmishers doesnt hurt.

Amen, less than 100 points for a minimum sized squad, 16 attacks at WS/S 4. Cause fear, skirmish, ward save.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down