The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History

+2
scurrdi
Hurricane
6 posters

Go down

FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History Empty FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History

Post by Hurricane Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 am

German FJ Company Afrika (Tunisia)

HQ with 1 Submachine gun team and 1 Panzerknacker Submachine gun team 60

FJ Platoon with 3 Squads and 1 Panzerknacker Submachine gun team 280

FJ Platoon with 2 Squads and 1 Panzerknacker Submachine gun team 195

FJ Platoon with 2 Squads and 1 Panzerknacker Submachine gun team 195

Heavy Machine gun Platoon with 1 section 105

Mortar Platoon with 2 Sections of GW34 mortars 175

Parachute Anti-Tank Platoon with 2 Sections of Pak 40 guns 215

Parachute Anti-Aircraft Platoon with 2 Sections of 2cm Flak38 guns

Panzer Platoon with 3 Panzer III L’s 345

Armored Car Patrol with Sd Kfz 223 (radio) and 2x Sd Kfz 231 (8 rad) 90

Total 1750 pts

Originally raised for the invasion of Malta in 1942. The Brigade was sent to North Africa in August 1942 as a reinforcement for Rommel and entered the line at El Alamein. The British attack at El Alamein did not directly strike the Fallschirmjäger but they soon became involved in heavy fighting. During the withdrawal of the Afrika Corps, the Brigade was abandoned by the high command since it had no organic transport. Rather than surrender, Ramcke led his troops out of the British trap and headed west, losing about 450 men in the process. They soon captured a British supply column which provided not only trucks but food, tobacco and other luxuries. about 600 of the paras later rejoined the Afrika Corps. Commander Oberstleutnant Hans Kroh was given command of the remainder of the Brigade, which was, redesignated Luftwaffenjäger Brigade 1. The Brigade fought in the final battles in the defence of Tunisia. Many senior officers and some men escaped but most of the troops were captured in May 1943 when Tunisia finally fell to the Allies.

My forces represent the rump of the Brigade that fought in the final battles in the defence of Tunisia. Originally, this army was purchased as a gift for my brother. I painstakingly painted all of these models with the idea of getting into this hobby that I love so much. Unfortunately, my brother moved away without ever having played and left me with a second army. This second army has since become my favorite and most played.

This is Luftwaffenjäger Brigade 1/Battalion von der Heydte/Kompanie 5
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History Empty Re: FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History

Post by scurrdi Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:27 pm

List looks pretty solid and Fearless Vets are gonna be hard to deal with!

I'll see you there!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History Empty Re: FJ List for Hurricon and Unit History

Post by Grombart Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:51 am

I would take some Marders instead of Panzer III's. P3's are pretty crappy and short ranged.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:00 am

Crappy? Front armor of 6 rof 3 and anti-tank 9. Marders have a great gun, but a front armor of...1. If you dont kill your target your dead. The Panzer III and go toe to toe with any allied tank. Ive used them many times against Eric and he m.always has a hard time dealing with them.
I believe Eric went with the Marders anyhow...I dont know why he wasted his time borrowing my Panzer III's if he wasnt gonna use them.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:05 am

They only have 24". Their anti-tank is only a 9. That's not much if your fighting Churchhills(FA8 ), T-34s (FA 6 or 7), or Shermans (FA 6). This means they can only bail out Churchills, if you are lucky. FA6 tanks need 3+ to not get destroyed, and FA7 tanks need a +2 to not get destroyed. And this is if they are under 16". Their firepower is a 4+ which makes it even harder to destroy enemy tanks. This means that in a field with little cover, and if the enemy employs tanks or anti-tank guns, they are likely to get destroyed pretty quickly. You need to keep them in cover and then pop them out right on top of a target.

Now I'm not knocking them, they have decent front armor, FA 6, but their lack of range and penetration makes them unsuitable as a main tank. If they are supporting Tigers, Marders, Dianas, or Panzer IVs, then it's a good deal to use them to support these heavy hitters. But on their own, as the main battle tank of the company, I don't think they are very good.

You may say that his PAK40's would be the main anti-tank punch, but these guns are virtually unmovable. I've found that they are very difficult to maneuver, if you can do it at all. So while they are good at anchoring a part of a line, their lack of extended range and mobility, doesn't make them useful for reacting to changes in the battlefield quickly.

Then again maybe in these tournaments ppl do use weak armored tanks, like crusaders, stuarts, and T-70s, but in ours ppl usually take heavily armored tanks and their variants. I seldom see players at the store playing weak armor types, except in the Italians.

I don't really want to knock your opinions because you guys are more experienced than I am in FOW, but I just want to justify my rationale for my critique. Let me know if you have a more effective way of using them that I don't know.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Well, Eric ended up going with a Tiger so it's all good!

Personally I'd go with the Panzer IIIs. They can do decently against tanks (not great if your facing off) but it's more their anti-infantry abilities that fully armored tanks provide that Dianas would simply not be able to do.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Good luck Eric! Kick some ass! cheers
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:42 pm

Rick...their good tanks. If you miss with a Marder your dead. If you miss with a Panzer III you can take a hit...over 16 inches and you have a 7 FA against an AT 10 at best. Bottom line is Ive used them many times and they have always served well. So Im not just talking out of my ass. You can shoot a marder up with a machinegun. Tigers are great ,but you get one for the price of three or four Panzer III's and out of the 3 or 4 times Ive used them(Tigers) they did well maybe twice. They get overwhelmed.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 pm

I'd take the marders.FA 6 'aint that great against most AT guns and its own gun only has a 24" range.The Marder,while having shitty armor,has more range and AT.If you keep 'em hidden using the shoot n' scoot tactic they should be able to take out quite a few tanks.Just my 2 cents though.I'm no master at FoW.
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:08 pm

I guess Ive been lucky every single time Ive used the Panzer III's or Eric doesnt know how to play. The Panzer III has always been a solid tank against Shermans, Crusaders, Infantry...even the churchill, flank'em guys. Their gun still stinks. I guess you guys theories are better than my actual experience.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Everyone has their opinion about it, and both sides are valuable options. What matters is more about what your using the tanks/vehicles for.

If your going for pure, tank on tank, then the superior AT and range of the marder makes them a more valuable option in some situations. If properly placed (and by using the stormtrooper move) you can take advantage of blasting your opponent's tanks.

However, if your looking for a more multi-suited tank then your best bet is the Panzers. Marders can't do shit against infantry while Panzers can chew up infantry and assault them without too many worries. While the Panzers gun is not that strong and neither is it's front armor, it's not a tank which it's purpose is frontal fighting. They need to flank 'em for best effect.

Either way, it's important to respect everyone's opinions. Everyone plays with different styles so that makes a difference too.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:40 am

Hope you kicked ass man, how many russian armies were there ?
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:24 pm

I think there were about 5 or so if my memory serves me well, I posted more info in Eric's recap.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Well while my Panzer III's have done decently against portees and shermans/crusaders...they really haven't been very effective against heavies like Churchills, even if I get close and flank em. I dunno, maybe the Brit players have loads of luck...honestly I haven't been able to do much against Churchies with PIV's either. I usually need a Tiger to take them out.

Anyways Bill, I'm not talking about theories. I've used them and their lack of firepower and range has really gotten me into trouble. Honestly, like I said, as a supporting tank they are fine. But if you need a knock out tank, they're not it unless the enmy has Shermans or weaker tanks. If you fight any of the heavies you'll be in trouble. Now if you have pioneers and tons of panzerknackers, then they are good support. Let your infantry do the heavy tank busting.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 am

Most of the tanks you face are Shermans, crusader's, stuarts. Churchills are tough against everything ,but not common on the battlefield. Ill take 3-4 Panzer III's over a Tiger in most cases.Pretty much ever time Eric has used a Tiger its gotten taken out. Correct me if Im wrong.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:49 am

Yah that "1" kills me everytime. Too many points for midwar, not so bad for latewar. I should have listened to my own advise.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:02 am

Oh yeah, my tiger has gotten blown up quite a few times too. When I play against you guys (you and Eric), you guys tend to use regular tanks. But when I've played in the store, quite a few people bring heavy tanks, either a Tiger or 3 Churchills. The only way I can knock those heavies out is with a Tiger...I think I destroyed one once with a Panzer IV. Airpower and artillery is usually inefective against these. :-( Yeah I suck at rolling.

I guess my point is that the uncertainty I face in the tournaments is the reason I bring Tigers. I know I won't even have a chance if the heaviest tank I bring is a Panzer III. Now in a friendly game against you, Bill, or Eric, then I prolly won't use a Tiger since you guys mix up your units more. I guess this goes again to my advice to Eric, that he needed a heavy hitter to deal with heavily armored tanks...could be Marders, Panzer IV's, Tiger, Ferdinand, Panther, flamethrowers, pioners, maybe even 88's (cause of their range). But PAK 40's as your heavy tank killer, supported by Panzer IIIs, IMHO, won't cut it.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 am

I normally just ignore the Tiger, my numbers can easely absorb its 2 shots a turn, ive gotten lucky a couple of times against it with Artillery. Also ,one little Flametrower platoon = bye bye tiger, just WAY to many points to spend on just one model.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:11 am

Well, the Tiger is useless against 81 stands of infantry. Razz
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:28 am

Most people I've seen rarely take a Tiger, only due to it's lack of anything other then AT abilities. Plus only having one of them makes a dreaded 1 so much more potent.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down