The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Douglas Adams books

+2
McSheehy
Garry
6 posters

Go down

Douglas Adams books Empty Douglas Adams books

Post by Garry Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:42 pm

have been listening to his books on Audiable and must say they are the funniest things much better to listen to then read.

The trick to learning how to fly is to jump and miss the ground.....

another book that was out there I listen to on audiable that funny as hell was The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens he writes for some of the shows for comedy central. Sci fi book with lot of poarts that you break out laughing at when listening to.

I must listen to about 3 to 4 books a month while working what else can you do when pressure cleaning stores from midnight till 5 am.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Douglas Adams books Empty Re: Douglas Adams books

Post by Garry Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 pm

If any of you are going to be at Tates on Ard boyz day and have an Ipod let me know I will bring my Laptop with me and you can pull from my audiable libary and gets some books for free. I musty have well over a 100 all scifi and fantasy. Just let me know and I will bring it...

Garry
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm

The audio tapes of the old radio program are my favorite version of the story.
The book can kinda be awkward to read at times and not as entertaining (though I love the Krikkits and God's final message... which I don't remember being in the radio program).

I need to find a copy of those tapes... what am I saying its CD's nowadays or whatever the hell the downloading stuff is.

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:38 pm

You can get them audio download for IPOD and if you are at tates on 10-24 I will bring my laptop and I have his 5 books all downloaded. Just let me know and I will bring it.

It is

We are sorry for the inconvience...

I really like the Marven the robot.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Well it has been over 10 years since I last heard the tapes (they were my brother's andhe took them with him).

I have to chuckle a bit aboutthe ipod. I don't own one... nor an mp3? player or any of that stuff.
I do have cd players, and even an old walk-man lying around somewhere.
I can probably check out Amazon or similar site to see if CD collections are available.

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Yea that might be your best bet. But by the time you get done buying the CD's you could have bought an IPOD and Audable has different programs from 2 credits a month for like $22 to I think 1 a month for $11. Not to mention I can give you the books for free if you had the IPOD.

Garry
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Eh, I don't worry about it.

Knowing myself I would probably end up finding a way to blow-up my computer with an ipod... I'm talented that way.
Me and technology don't really get along, and I once threatend a computer just like Zaphod threatend the Heart of Gold... to put a very large axe through its mainframe.

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 am

Every version of Hitchhiker's is different. The original radio plays were to me the best, then the books. the TV was ok. Surprisingly, I liked the movie. I got a thrill spotting all the obscure references.....
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:08 pm

guys, really, who buys music nowadays?
http://thepiratebay.org/search/douglas%20adams/0/99/100
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am

I buy music, because I happen to want the people who's music I buy to continue to make the music.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:01 am

They can make money on their over-priced concert tours, commercial endorsements, and public appearance fees.

In the old days you could make an argument that there are fees to make CDs and covers, records, cassettes, 8-tracks, etc.

Today it is all digitial data, which has no production costs. As part fo the freedom of information age, MP3s should be free to the public.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 am

OK, if you have multi million selling band, then sure you may make money on the tours, and the endorsments and such like.

The smaller guys? No way. To make an album, they need an advance from the record company (studio time ain't cheap). The record company get everything from sales until the advance is paid back, and only then do the artists get their share in the for of royalties. Depending on if they are smart enough to actually own the copyright in their songs, as opposed to the record company doing so, then they may make a reasonable amount.

The tour? Smaller gigs, no endorsments, everything involved in running the tour? Most tours only make money on the merchandise sales.

Free Mp3's? Sure, no manufacturing costs, but why wouldn't you want to pay the artist? Why is music the one industry where the labourer should just give away what they make?
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:55 pm

TheLimey wrote:OK, if you have multi million selling band, then sure you may make money on the tours, and the endorsments and such like.

The smaller guys? No way. To make an album, they need an advance from the record company (studio time ain't cheap). The record company get everything from sales until the advance is paid back, and only then do the artists get their share in the for of royalties. Depending on if they are smart enough to actually own the copyright in their songs, as opposed to the record company doing so, then they may make a reasonable amount.

The tour? Smaller gigs, no endorsments, everything involved in running the tour? Most tours only make money on the merchandise sales.

Free Mp3's? Sure, no manufacturing costs, but why wouldn't you want to pay the artist? Why is music the one industry where the labourer should just give away what they make?

Exactly!
The first people I thought of when the free download crap showed up all those years back wasn't the multi-million dollar artists, but the smaller lesser known artists who relied off of CD sales as one of their meager sources of income.

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Back to top Go down

Post by MinionOfCthulhu Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:25 am

Huzzah for Douglas Adams! I've read through the Hitchhiker books at least once a year since I first read them, so many years ago.
Right now, I'm reading through the only book of his I haven't read yet. It's called 'Last Chance to See'. Basically he and a few other people travel around the world and see animals that are on the brink of extinction. It's a bit depressing though, because (spoiler alert!) two of the animals they go see are already extinct: the northern white rhinoceros (functionally extinct at 8 members) and the Yangtze River Dolphin.
And Douglas Adams himself, of course. Sad

Great book, otherwise, though.
MinionOfCthulhu
MinionOfCthulhu
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 39
Armies : Orks (WH40K), Ogres, Lizardmen (WHFB), Cryx (Wamachine)
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down