The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure!

+5
luis the young
rokassan
Vycem
scurrdi
Frantic
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Empty Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure!

Post by Frantic Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01310
The hunt begins! My ship is the small sloop, Jay's ship is the one with the big red sails and Joaquin's ship is the the three master one. There are 6 treasure markers. One of them will reveal a grand treasure. First one to sail off the board edge with the big treasure wins.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01410
All of us quickly get to an island and search within the first few turns but we only discover lesser treasures.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01411
The treasure is found by Joaquins crew on his second search! Everyone is after him now.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01412
He's making for the closest board edge but is cut off by the our pirate crews.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01413
Betrayal and revenge! Although the treasure is the mission of this scenario I can't pass up an opportunity for revenge! Making him thing we where going to blast Joaquin's ship together I turn my guns to face Jay's ship(He completely annihilated my old crew...now this is my old captain's sons crew!) and blast away! The combined fire he takes from my and Joaquin's ship leave his ship with only 7 out of 14 hull points. Joaquin's ship and my ship also take a few hits in the engagement.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01414
Joaquin's ship is now making a break for the long edge but the wind is blowing against his side so he can't move his full speed. Jay's ship tries to catch a good wind but fails and ends up with only a few inches of movement leaving him in a bad position. I chose to go last and ended up getting a good opportunity to blast both ships. This was a truely climactic and hilarious shooting phase! First, Jay tries to shoot me with the one cannon he can hit me with and it ends up misfiring and exploding killing two of his crew and causing an additional point of damage to his ship! Joaquin's ship was unable to fire his cannons but he didn't care.. he was just trying to get out of there! When my turn came up I put in the hurt! I hit Joaquin's ship with 2 close range critical hits taking him down to 6 hull points and forcing him to take a route test which he failed! causing his caption to use all his fame points to adjust his roll or be forced to raise the white flag. Jay ship got hit with another good volley taking him down to 2 hull points! During the small arms portion of the shoot phase Jay fired off a few pistol and musket round but none struck wounds. I fired back with my blunderbuss killing 2 crewmen and a few pistols and my lone musket taking out his captain. Joaquin fired all his guns on my crew exclusively killing 3 of my crewmen including my Master Gunner! Significantly reducing the effectiveness of my guns. However all was not well for him, when he went to toss a grenade on my boat it blew up in his hand! He used his captains luck ability to re-roll the one only to roll another one! So much for his captain being lucky! Smile The grenade went off in his ship killing the thrower and two others.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01415
In the Next 2 turns Joaquin was speeding toward the edge and his chances of escape where looking real good. After dealing the death blow to Jay's ship(which killed the majority of his crew and causing him to start his crew over completely!!! Hahah! Sweet revenge!) I fired a few rounds of chain shot with little success but I did reduce his movement by 2 inches...

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01416
...which was just enough to keep him from getting off the board! Then on my turn I got the wind in my favor and crashed right into the side of ship. We both rolled to see if we would be able to break free from the collision and we both got stuck together allowing me to board his ship. My ship took a pretty big hit but it was worth it.

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Dsc01417
After a few turns of skirmishing aboard his ship we both took quite a bit of casualties but all me heroes still had a good stock of fame points giving me the upper hand. Joaquin surrendered when I offered to let him keep his ship and some one of the lesser treasures.

This was a very fun scenario. We want to do it again soon but with more ships Smile

Last edited by Frantic on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : for about the grenade!)
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Empty Re: Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure!

Post by scurrdi Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:49 pm

I love it! Makes me really wanna get into it! My fiance may want to get into this also!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure! Empty Re: Pirates battle it out on a small island chain for buried treasure!

Post by Frantic Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am

Chicks dig it...lol My wife plays. She just painted up her captain yesterday Smile I will be there friday if you want a demo.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:10 am

Bastards. I just dropped money I shouldn't have and bought the beginnings of a crew. Now all I need are rules and a damn ship Smile

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 am

What game is this? Can you be the Dutch,English,French or Spanish? Is there a web site for the rules?
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:05 am

That actually looked pretty cool. I like the option for the crew and stuff to gain XP
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 am

Its called Legends of the High seas. Its put out by warhammer historicals. It uses a combination of LoTR Skirmish and Mordheim rules plus a few of their own. They have a navy crew option but no specifics for different nations. Though there is supposedly an expansion book that will add nationalities and a few other things.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:10 pm

What size bases are the miniatures, 25mm stock GW size?

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Soooo cooooool.....
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:16 am

ya, 25/28mm. Some of them are actually converted LoTR figures (Corsairs of Umbar) Smile
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 am

WHere do you get a boat (don't see it on the GW site)?
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 am

2 of the boats are converted toys Smile The other is Old Glory Shipyard. Some of the pirate figures are GW.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:03 am

Can you just use ny type of boat from that time period ? can i bring a Galleon or ship of the line ?
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Sort of... The ship types are very basic. Large, medium and small ship and ships boat. You can use any kind of model to represent each as long as it meets the size requirements. When you make a crew you start out with a small ship with 2 6lbs guns and at least 5 crew.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm

What toy did you use?

Which model on the Old Glory site?
Do I want a 25mm ship?

SOME OF THOSE ARE BIG BUCK$$$$$ Shocked
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:06 pm

For small ships I bought a game called Weapons and Warriors...its actually a perfect starter set for getting into the game. It comes with 20 figures that are usable and seem to match up just right to 25mm figure. It also comes with 2 small ships, 2 boats and a bunch of usefull stuff like palm trees and little forts (nice for terrain). It all needs to be painted up of course. I bought the game on ebay for $20 shipped.

The Old Glory 25mm ships In the gunboats and galleys section and the buccaneer wars section are all good. You definitely don't want to buy direct from OG...Its alot more expensive plus they charge an arm and a leg for shipping. You can get their stuff from Joel at 25% off. He actually has a couple pirate blisters and a ship in stock ATM (Old Glory Brigantine...the larger one).

Gamesofwar.co.uk and minimi.co.uk also make some nice ship for decent prices.

Last edited by Frantic on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo :))
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey mike are you going to be there tonight? I got a friend who wants to try it out.
-Rob

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:06 pm

OMW right now!
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 pm

The info on the size of ship and how many crew to begin with is priceless! Still waiting to hear if Joel can get the book.

Question: since we're pirates, do we use black sails, or are you supposed to use white? I really want to know as I'm trying to plan out what to use for sails Smile

Thanks for the info! I'm really pumped about this game.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:29 am

NP Smile Depends on you! and remember... Pirate is not the only option. My brother gave black sails to his first ship. The rest we have done in white. Also, to get a bit deeper into the ship sizes, 8 inches or less is a small ship, 8-16 inches is a medium ship and 16+ is a large ship. The bigger the ship the more guns and the bigger the guns it will hold.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:53 pm

Sweet. I'll start as you said, with a small crew and ship, then move up. Woot! Hopefully with such a small set to paint I can get it all going relatively quickly so I can join in the fun.

Question, since I'll be starting out with a 2 gunner, will I be terribly outclassed by all the veterans that have been playing for a while, or do I still have the chance to do a little something and get out? In other words, does the campaign balance itself for newbies joining in, or should I wait until the current campaign game wraps up and starts again?

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:36 pm

The Old Glory boats are too $$$ for me.

I found a copy of Warriors and Weapons one ebay(Pirate version, there are several), but the guy wants $70 for it. I'll scan again after the holiday madness.

That's a good entry point because you get a small fleet with canons and stuff.

I wish I kept my old Marauder models, they would have been perfect for a norse boat. Maybe I'll use my WoTR models and run a Ghost Ship.

= )

Spookey!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Vycem, There are balancing factors but you would probably get creamed if you went against with a very seasoned crew although you would get rewarded handsomely for it by getting alot of extra XP so its a good way to catch up quick. There are also alot of land based scenarios which if your clever(or lucky!) enough you can win with a much less experienced crew. With the campaign we are running chances are you will face a few NPC crews first, hire up some more crew and get at least some more guns before you face another player crew. You could also team up with another player a little more experienced and the two of you can go against a very experienced player...those are always good fun Smile

Bill, Joel can get you everything on the old glory sight for 25% off. I got my medium ship(French Corvette in the gunboats and galleys section) from him for $41 including tax and it came with 22 cannons and 4 swivel guns. Though I do think the weapons and warriors thing is a very good way to start out and then add on from there. I double checked ebay for you and your right...nothing up there now. When I was looking I saw quite a few. All where $10 plus another $10 shipping. Once the holidays pass you should see a bunch.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 pm

I will be at Sunshine today at 5pm for some piracy if anyone is interested.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Joel claimed he would be getting the rule books for this game, no ETA or quantity is known, will update.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next