The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chaos in the Old World

4 posters

Go down

Chaos in the Old World Empty Chaos in the Old World

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm

I hoping to pick up Chaos in the Old World from Joel this Friday. I looked at the PDF rules. Looks a bit involved, but I've heard lots of good stuff about it so I want to give it a go. Anyone have an opinion or interest?
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Chaos in the Old World Empty Re: Chaos in the Old World

Post by Kyle Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Great game, picked it up at Dragoncon and games I've played so far have been lots of fun. It really is a very simple board game, it may seem complex at first but the game plays extremely fast once you got the rules down.

Each chaos power has very unique style of play and the way you set up and cards are drawn for setting up each game give each match a unique feel. Game is definitely best for 4 players where you have each power represented on the board. It's all about conquering the old world while trying to stop the other chaos powers from achieving their goals, but if the game goes on too long the old world forces win so players are up against a clock and each other.

Only negative about the game is the little cultist pieces, they are going to break off the little standards they carry for sure for you eventually and they are impossible to put back on even with glue. It's a minor thing though and won't distract from the game at all.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 am

I enjoyed it.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 pm

I picked up the game for a buddy of mine as an early Christmas gift. He opened it up and we played that same day. I had a blast with it.

The rules do seem involved at first, but it's really a situation of 'more bark than bite'. Not to say the game is trivial, your game plan makes for an enjoyable puzzle/challenge to solve/meet as every other player goes about winning in a different manner (for the most part) - every player has a unique win condition along with 'standardized' win conditions.

The best part about the game (for me) was feeling you had as you played - you were either blatantly winning, or a contender for first. It rarely feels like you're dead last - As soon as anyone managed to knock '#1' down a peg another player would suddenly come out of nowhere and put themselves in the lead.

I only played once (no more than a week and a half ago) and I'm still itching for another game.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Also for those getting into the game, make sure you check out the errata on the FFG site as their is typo which changes a faction win conditions greatly.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down