The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

imperial armor

5 posters

Go down

imperial armor Empty imperial armor

Post by bromah Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 am

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads40k.htm

says that these are experimental rules and errata for the standard 40k game and apoc stuff. i was wondering if i could buy the various armaments presented and the drop pods. now obviously super heavy vehicless and shit like that won't be allowed in a standard game but what about the other stuff?

tarantula walkers, assault drop pods stuff like that.
if you look at the rules the new imperial guard codex was made from the experimental versions.

I know other players might not have a problem with this but want to get a popular opinion. especially since the new stuff (codexes) are leaving my space marines in the dust.
bromah
bromah
Cultist

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

imperial armor Empty Re: imperial armor

Post by Vycem Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 pm

......? In the dust? Marines ares still tough SOBs in my opinion.

Maybe in one off friendly games it's fine, but I'm definitely against it for tournaments. I just don't think a lot of that stuff is balanced, as much as I love the look of the models.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshwow1 Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Something about a drop podding drop pod loaded to the teeth with assault cannons just doesnt sit right.... rofl :p

Marines have a great book, it's just unlocking it's full potential (AKA, Vulkan).

Marine lists need synergy more than anything. I am actually working on a Pedro list atm.

Joshwow1
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by bromah Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:42 pm

ok eliminating the deathwind is a good point. cleaning up these rules is why they are there and in the "experimental" stage. but i see nothing wrong with a drop pod that lets my dreadnaught or men assault

besides basing your entire army around named characters which aren't always allowed in tourneys (and everyone turns to those 3 named guys, pedro vulkan and korsho kahn). it's getting on my nerves a bit.
bromah
bromah
Cultist

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:19 am

Well, it'd be kind of unfair for a pissed off dreadnaught to come howling out of a drop pod (which can't mishap... period) assaulting like somebody pee'd on his mom's grave.

To be honest, codex space marines almost completely rely's on special characters. They wanted to flesh out chapter's strengths.

I summed it up best when once upon a time I looked at the book and said "Codex Space Marines?" more like "Codex: Salamanders and Friends"

If you don't want special characters, bad book to use. Maybe grab a divergent chapter's book?

Edit: Vulkan, Pedro, Korsarro, Shryke, Marneus, Cato Sicarious (thats right, his name is badass if his rules aren't), Darnath Lysander, Tigirius, Cassius, and any other named (special) character in C:SM will always be permitted in any GW sanctioned tournament. Hurray!
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:43 am

Named characters are allowed in 99% of tournaments. Not allowing them is more of a Fantasy thing than a 40k thing. They were never a problem, but at one point you had to ask for permission to use them so they weren't allowed until that templating was changed.

Marines have always kind of sucked and probably always will. Marc has won 6 GT's and none of them were with Marines. He has had a couple of strong Marine armies but they are no where close to the power level of his best armies. Marines just don't work that well, especially since they can no longer be spammed for Las/Plas and consolidating into combat is not possible. They also lose out on cover overall, their 3+ armor is only slightly better than everyones 4+ cover save. The loyalists don't even get to use their Combat Tactics since you are usually using a special character.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:08 am

I agree with Brian here, I was actually recently reflecting on how space marine's have pretty much been pushed to their very limit with 5th edition... In fourth edition atleast we weren't required to take 10 useless bodies (tactical squads) with a special weapon (which is typically close ranged, 24" max) and a heavy weapon (which can not be fired on the move and is typically 36-48" range). These are conflicting philosophies, and though combat squadding is an option, I think ALL space marine players can agree- 5 guys die quick, even with 2+ armor saves.

Further, our troops aren't even the best choice out there. I know a ton of people are going to disagree with me here, but fire warriors are the SHIZNIT for what you pay. 10 points(ish?) gets you a str 5 AP 5 30" range weapon- what ze f*** is that about? Hell yeah, give me some of that stuff. Aside from assault cannons and like 2-3 other items, weapons tend to be AP 5 or 3. I may as well be 6 points cheaper with a 4+ armor save, and a better standard issue weapon. The downfall of course is the statline, though I wouldn't mind being BS 3 I'd go insane if my Init was 2.

Space wolves seem to have it best with the new 5th ed rules, counter attack allows them to rapid fire without guilt- they can take 2 melta guns which is crazily more reliable than 1, and their cheap 100 point HQ's are quite a bargain for what they do.

All in all, kinda disappointed, I'm pretty sure chaos will always have an advantage over loyalists (we get pretty wargear, they get 140 point daemon princes who are wrecking balls or extreme team players e.g. "lash of obliterator lols")

Yay emperor.
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Tactical marines are good for scoring. That is about it. The changes to the vehicle chart and smoke launchers make shooting one melta gun almost an act in futility. Tacs were alot better in the last codex when they could all have two hth weapons and double special.

I think troop Marines would be more competitive if they could rapid fire and assault. Or if they could move and shoot heavies. As it is now they are rarely feared whereas they should have you shitting yourself when they get near you. I think it is a shame they didn't reformat them in 4th or 5th edition, the strength of the 3+ save just isn't there anymore like it was in 3rd.

I'll be playing Space Wolves until I finish a new army.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshwow1 Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 am

Cause Space Wolves are awesome! =D

Joshwow1
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 205