The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TO's, Tourneys, and Turns

+9
The Eldar Guy
Leviticus
jerryb
Ovich
rokassan
Vycem
jspyd3rx
NurgleNick
KingdomCome
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TO's, Tourneys, and Turns Empty TO's, Tourneys, and Turns

Post by KingdomCome Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 am

Ok guys in an effort to stop a thread hijacking I'm starting a new one.

To keep things fair and have no one feeling like they are getting screwed over, I propose we have a group of people take turns running tourneys. Whether it be 40K, WHFB, FoW, Etc..... We have people volunteer to run tournies at SAG in line order. For example Players A,B, and C are the TO's that want to run a tourney. Player A goes first. Player A cannot run and play in a tourney for ethical reasons. The next tourney is player B, so on so forth. This would keep all the TO's happy as they only have to run ( and miss) 1 tourney every (month / 3 months? However many tournies we have at SAG). It would prevent the frustration of having to run tournies and not play, and give everybody a chance to play in different style tournaments. I say different style tournaments, because I propose that the TO's try and make fun scenarios if at all possible. I know making fun and BALANCED scenarios is a pain, but it's something to keep the scene fresh. We have a lot of new players to different game systems and it'd be great to keep them all. I'm going to bite the bullet first just to get the ball rolling:
I'm running 'ard boyz this year at SAG. If no one objects to it, I'll run the following tournament just to keep the potential other TO's happy. Afterwards, I hope to be able to play in the next 3 to 4 tournies before it's my turn to TO again. In this way everybody is happy and we can all game.
Anybody else wanna hop on board for this? bounce
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

TO's, Tourneys, and Turns Empty Re: TO's, Tourneys, and Turns

Post by NurgleNick Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:55 am

What's to stop a TO from creating scenarios which benefit a certain player with which they have had an agreement with, previously? I could easily write any number of scenarios with the sole purpose of weighing the odds towards specific builds. I think you're also seriously overestimating the number of people who are willing/able to organize a tourney effectively.

Who are you by name, by the way?
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 am

(And for the record, I do NOT want to ever run a tourney, EVER... and I'm fine with you running the tourney. However, I'm not fine with you running it every month, and I doubt anyone else is going to step forward and volunteer. Chris has been asking for someone to step forward for some time, after all. It's not a very appealing job.)
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:47 am

Knowing my name wont help... really.... it's Cesar. I think I'm the 12th one to grace SAG. As far as making scenarios to favor a certain build, IDK what to say. I'm not saying it's easy to make scenarios (on the contrary), I'm just putting the idea of people making different ways to play. We have a bunch of creative people at the store. Most ideas would be bad, granted, but at least it's something different. I agree with you in that I wouldn't want to run a tourney every month. That would suck horribly. I applaud Chris and Brian for picking up the slack , but it's not fair to them. That's why I'm starting this thread. To spread the workload onto the community and not shove it on one or two peoples laps. The hobby can't be carried by a few. The store has a bunch of new faces and it'd be great to keep 'em coming back for more. We could probably run more tourneys if we had people willing to bite the bullet once every few months. A lil sacrifice for the greater good.... I offer myself for 'ard boyz and the next tourney, but if someone actually wants to run the one after ard boyz, be my guest. I actually don't think I'm getting anything for running 'ard boyz and I'm cool with it. I just want the store to keep growing because in the long run it's better for me, you , and everyone else who games in it.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:43 am

Tau Cesar, Dark Eldar Cesar, or some other Cesar?
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 am

Battle missions can be great for didderent mission types. Pick the same missions for everyone. Even give scenerios out beforehand for people to prepare. Actually, I believe I might take a turn as well. Though as it would be a first, small mission tourney or even kill team with house rules would be my firt run tourney.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 am

I play Tau and eldar, but I'm not sure if I'm known as Cesar Tau.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 am

I ran a handful of tourneys and apoc games. Running tourneys is boring as fuck. Most fun was making custom missions, even if they were mediocre due to lack of playtesting before it.

Meh. I don't envy people running the tournaments. I'll do it again if things get really bad and someone is desperately needed, but it's time like this that I wish Joel was into the hobby so he could run his own tournaments. Heh.

Here's a question: how does the magic crowd do it? I know they have a metric buttload of tournaments and events. SOMEONE has to be organizing those.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:23 am

If I werent married with children Id run them. At this point Id be happy just to watch and regulate. I did run an Apoc tourny once. I believe I ran the first one ever for Joel. It was awhile back(couple of years). It was fun.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:09 pm

KingdomCome wrote:I play Tau and eldar, but I'm not sure if I'm known as Cesar Tau.

I know him as Cesar Tau. Being the best Tau player I know.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 pm

rokassan wrote:If I werent married with children Id run them. At this point Id be happy just to watch and regulate. I did run an Apoc tourny once. I believe I ran the first one ever for Joel. It was awhile back(couple of years). It was fun.

C'mon Bill..... it can't be that bad. I'm sure if you ask for the time in advance it would get approved. Wait.... that sounds like something I would say at work.....
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:55 pm

I think the Fantasy community has been pretty stable in general as far as tourney's. I've ran a few, Dan's ran a few, and now Ronan's run a few.

We've had our hiccups as far as trying to get creative, which can make things unbalanced sometimes, but there hasn't been a clamor for having a change in organization.

I am still a proponent of the idea however, that if you run a tournament, you shouldn't really play in it. Unless your just filling in to make an even number of people, you have a balanced list, and you don't count in the standings.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:32 pm

KingdomCome wrote:I play Tau and eldar, but I'm not sure if I'm known as Cesar Tau.

Just so long as your not Tommy Tau! jocolor
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Vycem wrote:I ran a handful of tourneys and apoc games. Running tourneys is boring as fuck. Most fun was making custom missions, even if they were mediocre due to lack of playtesting before it.

Meh. I don't envy people running the tournaments. I'll do it again if things get really bad and someone is desperately needed, but it's time like this that I wish Joel was into the hobby so he could run his own tournaments. Heh.

Here's a question: how does the magic crowd do it? I know they have a metric buttload of tournaments and events. SOMEONE has to be organizing those.

The method that Magic the Gathering runs it is; they have an advocate who is in charge of the tourney, he gets reimbursed with prize and what not.

Joel used to play Magic, but claims he plays NO games due to the general confrontation that arise during play.

Me, I love throwing dice and getting into fist fight when possible. Just ask around, I am a pretty bad sport. jocolor

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Theres confrontation in anything that requires competition. Guess he wont play poker,watch sports ,drive a car or disagree with anyone. Wait he does that quite often.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I posted in the other thread. And ceasar, I've got your back bro. Give me a text sometime and we can brainstorm ideas- or maybe we can start a subforum in find a game for brainstorming tourney mission ideas?

Also, if ever needed, I'd be willing to run a 40k tourney. I'm not a top ranked player, but I don't think thats neccessary for making a fun 3 missions to play.
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

You don't have to be a top ranked anything to run a tourney. All you really need is some sort of organizational skills and a general knowledge of where to find things in the rule book. It'd be awesome to have you run some tourneys. Let me know when you want ( can ) run an event. We'll start the rotations.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:44 pm

are we having a tourney in May that doesn't include 'ard boyz?
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviticus Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:46 pm

I'll be ready to roll in may/march, just let me know when you need me.
Leviticus
Leviticus
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 169
Armies : Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:09 pm

We have 5 saturdays in May. May 15th is 'ard boyz which leaves May 1st,8th,22nd, and 29th. Ard boyz is probably the only tourney I am going to be able to make in May. So one saturday is down. If we do one on the 1st and 29th, we would have a 40k tournament every 2 weeks. Seems doable.

*By make I mean organize.*
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Is there going to be one in April, or are all the days taken up with other gaming events?
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 am

The 24th is the last saturday of april and there's a FoW tourney scheduled. I guess we could try to squeeze in with FoW, but 40k has been attracting decent sized crowds to recent tourneys so I wouldn't double book.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:55 am

Yep, forget it.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:31 am

There's also a board game tournament on the 24th... that's a no go.

Joel also has the historical mini's guys down on the 8th May for an American Civil War game....
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 am

The next big 40k/Fantasy events (aside from Hardboyz) is May 22nd & 23rd. Check the Find a Game section for more details.

As for rotating TOs, we try to do that on a regular basis with FOW and Fantasy. I've really gotten out of the 40k scene, so I don't know how things go.

The one factor you all have to remember in all of this is Joel. Joel HATES being out of the loop, and since it's his store, his would have to approve any TOs who wish to do something. If you clear it through Joel, then you've got very little problems.

The hardest part about running a tournament is making sure you have a well televised scoring system, and fun/fair missions. All of which are actually quite difficult, especially as many folks don't have time to play test them before hand.

In my opinion, the more people who are up for organizing tournaments the better! You just have to make sure you have a solid grasp on the rules and are relatively respected among the gaming community your running (not the best player, but respected in knowing your stuff).

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next