The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GW Price Increase

+9
Ovich
jerryb
MinionOfCthulhu
rba718
rokassan
jspyd3rx
KingdomCome
Kyle
ShadowMaster
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GW Price Increase Empty GW Price Increase

Post by ShadowMaster Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Right before eveyone needs to buy stuff to meet the new 8th Edition build requirements......

"Today Games Workshop has informed us of their forthcoming price rises. Effective on the 1st June, 242 items will increase in RRP and therefore we will have to increase our prices, so if you want to take advantage of the current lower prices please order as soon as possible!"

http://www.darksphere.co.uk/index.php

GW SUCKS!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

GW Price Increase Empty Re: GW Price Increase

Post by Kyle Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Those are the UK price increases, not applicable to the US. The US is getting price increase on some items as well though these aren't them, a US list should be out soon I believe, some of the same items though will probably be on it.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu May 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Hmm alright found the US ones with the converted prices, it does seem like its mostly the same stuff. This is broken down by what items are increasing to what:

Codex & Army boxes: http://cavgames.posterous.com/games-workshop-codex-battle-force-price-incre

40K stuff: http://cavgames.posterous.com/games-workshop-40k-price-increase-05-31-2010

Fantasy: http://cavgames.posterous.com/games-workshop-fantasy-price-increase-05-31-2

LOTR: http://cavgames.posterous.com/games-workshop-lotr-price-increase-05-31-2010

It's largely price increase on the books
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Thu May 13, 2010 9:04 pm

I just shake my head at this Evil or Very Mad . It really is a shame. GW puts out a decent product, but they are slowly but surely pricing themselves out of my world. It doesn't look like I'll be investing in new armies anytime soon.... Now FoW is a different story...... I could have 2 armies for the price of 1 GW army!
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Stop buying multiple 40k armies, buy more other games.

GW pricing sucks but doesn't bother me since I don't really buy much from them anyways, built two complete 40k armies from them long ago and satisfied with that, now I spend my money on expanding my horizons to other games. Also helps to explore other games and you don't fatigue yourself out like so many seem to do playing the same game over and over again.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Good point(s) Kyle. I have 2 40k armies and 2 Fantasy armies (never played Crying or Very sad ). I'm just flabbergasted GW keeps pushing their customer base. It's much worse for the newer guys though. I've got no idea how they'll have new customers coming in after a few years of price increases.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Buy online for big discounts or just ebay the stuff you need for huge savings. I don't see how anyone can pay full retail for a full 40k/Fantasy army.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Thu May 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Indeed. Don't tell Joel! I picked up most of the thing's I have from the magic of the interwebs. It's still fairly expensive to buy GW things, even with 20% off and free shipping.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Fri May 14, 2010 1:08 am

Damn, I still need 4x more Battlewagons. Oh well, no new armies for me
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 am

Im happy Im done buying from GW. I have 4 armies for 40k and 1 for Fantasy. I may need an Item here or there ,but thats what Ebay is for. Fuck those bastards. They are gonna price themselves out of business. $20+ for a single figure in some cases. What a shame this company is run by greedy corporate assholes. In 2 years their codex's have gone up $8 Thats close to a 50% increase from the $22 bucks they were 2 years ago. Even people with a steady healthy income will think twice about buying this garbage. Ill buy the appropriate books as their updated and thats it.

Now Flames of War, They havent turned...yet. Great game hope they stay player friendly. Unless some mega rich gamer buys out GW and reverts back to the days of old they are going to be gone here in a couple of years. How can you seriously think you can increase prices every year and people will buy this shit? $62 for a defiler? They arent even that effective in the game. Ive got one in the box sealed by the way. If anyone is interested. Ill sell it well below GW prices or trade. Wink ...Im serious PM me. Ive also got Space marine stuff unopened. Talk to me people.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rba718 Fri May 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks GW, you just made ebay now three times more appealing.
rba718
rba718
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 107
Armies : Sisters of Battle, Necrons, Tyranids
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by MinionOfCthulhu Fri May 14, 2010 10:30 pm

jspyd3rx wrote:Damn, I still need 4x more Battlewagons. Oh well, no new armies for me

And you call yourself an Ork player. Grab some plasticard and convert them!
MinionOfCthulhu
MinionOfCthulhu
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 39
Armies : Orks (WH40K), Ogres, Lizardmen (WHFB), Cryx (Wamachine)
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sat May 15, 2010 4:08 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that GW stated that there be an annual price increase from now on until...

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Sat May 15, 2010 5:21 am

2012, I think. Maybe around December they will stop.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat May 15, 2010 6:07 am

The one that really loses out is Joel.

It's hard enough to sell this crap with Ebay and Bartertown around, but he has to raise his prices as his costs go up.

Wait a second... did I just sympathize with Joel ?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat May 15, 2010 12:07 pm

jerryb wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that GW stated that there be an annual price increase from now on until...

JerryB

They have been doing so now for a couple years.

They don't raise the price on all their products at once. Next increase will likely be on other products, not on these they just raised this month.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Kyle, correct, but GW plans to raise prices consistently from now on annually. In other words they will raise prices again around this time next year and then the next year; and then the next year; and then the year after that ....

Until I guess at some point you will pay on average $75 for a blister and $200 for a box, and so on. And still it will continue. They gave no indication as to when they will stop.

Correct GW is not raising prices on EVERYTHING, but the list has a lot of major items. Last year (or was it the year before?) Joel tried to defend GW's fuck in the head decision by showing me the list, and it appear to be 90% of the inventory. So GamesWorkShaft won't raise prices on models they can't sell, big deal!

While there is a WORLD financial crises and just about every type of business is doing everything in their power to reduce cost to their customers, what does GamesWorkShaft do? RAISE PRICES! Brilliant!

I am not kidding, I am somewhat surprised at the reaction here. Most GW customers from what I have witness have a huge tolerance for the fuck in the head business practices and abuse GW has given. GW chase me out of 40K and fantasy, I am convinced. I still think that WotR is their best product (cheapest too, all things considered), but despite that I no longer have an interest in their product line.

Kyle as you have pointed out, there is a lot of alternatives of a similar nature that are more reasonable and just (or more so in my opinion) as entraining.

Simply put, I can't afford GW anymore.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat May 15, 2010 1:11 pm

They have been doing the yearly increases now for almost 2 years, and in some cases more than once a year. They used to do price increases like almost every 4-5 years and do a flat price increase on all products, now they basically do more often, but only on select products.

Lot of people put up with GW stuff because they enjoy the games, and in most cases, they already invested into the game enough that it doesn't bother them. I still play GW games though I really don't buy much from them outside of a book once in a great while, because I invested already in them.

I don't know, unlike some people I just don't see the point in getting angry about it and just selling my stuff off to play something else which so many people seem to do. Yes they are expensive, so it just puts a cap on what I would be willing to spend with them, but I'm not going to quit playing a game I enjoy or have already invested in.

Of course I never saw the appeal or need that so many have with buying so many armies for a single game, so often I have tried to get people to try another game out to only hear "I don't got the money for that", yet they are busy building up a 3rd to 5th 40k/fantasy army.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat May 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Based on player feedback from almost everywhere I look, this may in fact be the final straw.

Tons of "I'm done buying models, I'll just use what I have." posts.

I know I'm in that boat. Have been for almost 1 year now.

If I have a real critical need - there is ebay, BTown, or alternate model lines.

$50 would be OK for a cool model tank if you didn't need 6-8 of them to build a complete tourney game list. GW is clearly run by ass clowns who don't have a clue.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat May 15, 2010 3:16 pm

People have been saying that with every price increase now for over 15 years. Nothing changes
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat May 15, 2010 8:19 pm

I don't know Kyle - lots has changed. The economy sucks here. The British Pound is down. The economy in Greece is a wreck.

Add to that the fact that the numbers are now hitting rediculous levels.

I'm going to go on record as saying I think GW will be shocked at the book sales for 8th Edition. The digital age is here and $75 for the rules and $30 for army books will lead to more people using the torrent PDF file share option. I know I plan to work off of a digital copy if I can get one.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat May 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Normal price increases are expected...every few years. Its called inflation. Annual price increases... a joke. And to add insult to injury they are designing armies so you can/have too field squadrons of vehicles. So let's field 9 Leman Russ tanks...its crap. At $62+ tax a pop. Me...Im done buying this shit. Ive got my armies. If I need stuff it ebay for me. Ill buy a codex here and there as well. Im not going to quit the game Im just not paying $25 for one figure. Fuck you GW.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 pm

I think that everyone believes they are going to escape GamesWorkShaft's greed machine. Once GW realize that no one is buying their overprice cheap plastic models they will just change the rules and introduce a whole new line forcing the player to re-tool their entire army.

GW has already done this with the Blood Angels (somewhat, not the entire army).

Don't under estimate GW evil.

JerryB Twisted Evil
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat May 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Just don't look at me. I haven't purchased a rulebook besides the two required codex I have.

As for models I haven't purchased anything in a year or so. I just wish using store credit mattered (only hurts Joel not GW). Neutral

...and now I don't plan on purchasing anything in the next year. Razz
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat May 15, 2010 11:34 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:I don't know Kyle - lots has changed. The economy sucks here. The British Pound is down. The economy in Greece is a wreck.

Yet it's during this horrible economic time that GW has pulled itself out of it's rut and been making very large profit and beating expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised if 8th edition is not a huge seller, but not so much because of the price, but because Fantasy has been on the decline for more than 3 years. The game has been in trouble for some time now and I doubt they will easily turn that around by just releasing a new rule revision, no matter at what price it is. Warmachine and Hordes both individually outsell WHFB in the US, and overseas the game has heavy competition from countless other games that are on the market and many of which have not made it over to US shores officially.

But really GW is never going to learn, they are in it for the money, the only way they will ever make change in the opposite direction is if the company is brought to the brink which it truly never has despite ridiculous claims made back in 2004. Right now they are making big profits and beating expectations even with their price hikes and a bad economy, so they are not going to change their ways any time soon.

The company will need to be brought down nearly to its death before it changes the way it does things.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next