The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

building a FOW board IDEAS?

2 posters

Go down

building a FOW board IDEAS? Empty building a FOW board IDEAS?

Post by Garry Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 pm

I have picked up some wood 2ftX2ft 8 peices. What I would like to do is have it so that I can move around the pieces so that the board can be changed so roads will still conect in any set up of the 8 peices. some of the board will have perminate parts fields, river, road's and so forth but be able to add buildings and other parts on top.

I have looked at the FOW web site got some ideas and also watched the terrrain guy on youtube (awsome stuff if you have not seen his stuff)

What I am looking for is some web sites and other pictures for some ideas on what to make the board look like with the ww2 feel. Also to have something that is not out there at the hobby stores so if brought to play on all could have a great time on it.

On one side putting mostly roads with a russian city feel or any city feel for that matter. The other side is where I really need some ideas from all of you that have been playing for a while.

Thanks for the ideas and help
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

building a FOW board IDEAS? Empty Re: building a FOW board IDEAS?

Post by Kyle Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Really for roads, buy the rubber JR Miniatures road sets, they come in various styles and cheap. Make for very quick and easy way to switch road set ups, they are made of rubber and prepainted also.

The official river set is also very good as it's a similar style and modular (comes with two styles of bridges as well)

For a proper WW2 board that you want to be realistic, you need to choose a specific setting that you want to replicate. Modular game pieces will generally never give you that right feeling or look to the terrain. You always get that hodge podge mix of terrain pieces look. Really best thing to do is look at the board examples in the book. Your going to want it to be themed, to make it modular though is difficult. Best thing to do is choose a setting and then make specific parts modular like the roads, hills, forest/vegetaion, houses.

The best looking set ups, generally are the ones that are least modular, since they don't have to worry about making it always look right. As soon as you try to make it all portable it gets messy and less "real" looking.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks. what is the width of the roads that you are using? Also is there any boards out there with Italian theme yet I really like the mid war feel maybe make a board with a small Italian town in it. maybe theme it with the look of I want to say the movies name was Miracle at St. Anna I think that was the name. they had a small town woods rocky area and feilds.

I am really look for some ideas and I do want it to look right for the time period. If I wanted to just make a board I would make another warhammer one. This looks a lot more intresting and fun not to mention time consuming. I also really want to make a board people want to play on and have fun.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 pm

JR Miniature roads are about 2-3" width depending on piece.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down