The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming

+8
TheLimey
Motormanmpd
Frantic
Hurricane
Vycem
ShadowMaster
KingdomCome
Mikey
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming Empty New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming

Post by Mikey Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I really feel fortunate that I found this forum as it seems to be precisely what I am looking for.

I moved to Miami one year ago to teach High School and I am still very much in exploration mode, moved from NY. I have been a gamer since I was about 10 and spent countless hours (and dollars) on Warhammer, 40K and a few others. I have been looking to connect to a gaming group down here in South Florida, I was in a shop once and saw some Warhammer but not much Flames of War, trying to learn the game.

MY old gaming buddies in NY are getting into Flames of War and I am really excited about it also, I am about to buy a German Army from the Middle War era but I really have no idea how to play yet. I Am hoping maybe I can connect with some gamers who know the game down here?

Since I am a High School Teacher, I have a lot of time off right now as schools are closed to my schedule is very flexible, if anyone is hosting Flames of War or if there are any upcoming battles I would be really interested in watching/learning.

Please shoot me a PM, or an e-mail or give me a call/text at (917) 855 7722.

Thanks and I hope to start playing FoW soon!

-Mikey
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male
Number of posts : 26
Armies : Empire/Germans
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming Empty Re: New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming

Post by KingdomCome Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 pm

Sweet welcome to the area. Flames of War is starting to pick up steam at Sunshine Adventure gaming currently. We get games going whenever we can, but your best bet for catching a game is to post in the "Find a Game" section of the forum. I'm at the store on thursdays and fridays. Wednesdays is the official (unofficial) 40k day, so you can get some 40k going. WHFB is picking up as well with the new rules. Everybody is nice, except for rokassan. He's a dick. Welcome to the community.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming Empty Re: New to South Florida, New to Flames of War, Not new to Gaming

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:19 pm

You found the right place Mike - we have a good size bunch of FoW players. They just held a national qualifier the past Saturday. A couple of these guys are nationally ranked.

They'll be along shortly to give you the what's what
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm also trying to learn FoW. Late war seems to be the most popular though, judging by the tournaments.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Endre, lemme know when you wanna game. Your Nazis need some righteousness kicked into them.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:03 am

Hah...give me a ride and we're on, otherwise It'll be a few more weeks.

Sadly, I have Friday night free and no way to get anywhere.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 am

Welcome Mikey, where do you live by? Alot of us play in home games so trying to get an idea of whether you want to join us there or meet up at the store. Maybe we could get a game in this weekend.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 am

Hey Hurricane, do you line by a bus stop? I have all weekend free other than lunch Sat, and would love to learn to play.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 am

I live in MidTown Miami... Biscayne and 19th Street. I would love to host games in my apartment, I have the room and I drive so transportation snt a problem if anyone needs a ride.

Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:03 am

Normally transportation is not a problem for me. But my car died so now I'm saving up to get another. Speaking of, check out the Free Trade area for several good deals on 40k and warhammer fantasy stuff (shameless plug)

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 am

Gimme a Buzz at 917 855 7722, I am a little disappointed that I lost out on a nice starter army on ebay but I'm still hoping to have some miniatures by the end of the week.
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Mikey wrote:I live in MidTown Miami... Biscayne and 19th Street. I would love to host games in my apartment, I have the room and I drive so transportation snt a problem if anyone needs a ride.

Oh cool dude. I work in the city. Don't stray too far into Overtown...
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 pm

I work in Overtown... those are my people :-)
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:19 pm

We usually have a few people show up at Sunshine(http://www.sunshineroleplayers.com/) to play FoW. People are usually there after 4pm till closing.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Alright, I am going to head over there today. I'll head out around 4.
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:56 pm

man... I am an idiot... I failed to mention we play there on Thursdays. Sorry bout that. :/
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:23 pm

No Problem, I went down there today and met some people had a great time. I 'll be there again on Thursday, can't wait to see a game.
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Motormanmpd Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:04 pm

I am also an avid flames palyer. I will post when I can play on Sat or Sun.

Motormanmpd
Cultist

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Great! Saturdays are when I can game. Let me know via here, and I can bring FOW stuff.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:49 am

Welcome to the forums and to FOW!

If your looking to play a German list and want to do MW, I need to ask a few questions.

1. Do you want to infantry, armored, or mechanized (halftracks)? This helps us get a feel for which books best suit you to buy.

One of the best advantages to the German army is a lot of it can be used in both Mid or Late War, depending on what company type you play. For example, the new Devils and Dogs book has a great German Tank list that is LW, but all of the models can easily fit into a Mid-War Africa army.

2. Have you read up on the basic rules of FOW, or are you starting from scratch? I ask only so I know if you understand the terminology or not, your gaming experience already dictates that you'll pick up the game quickly.

3. What school do you teach at? (I'm a high school teacher also, at Gables).

We'll see if we can't connect you with somebody for you to learn the ropes!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 am

I've decided to play Late War SS (Because it seems most people are playing Late War) and while Germany seems to be a popular faction, I haven't encountered anyone who plays the SS exclusively.

I want to play a Panzer Company with adequate infantry support, so not just tanks.

I picked up the River of Heroes Book, it has two nice SS PAnzer lists, the Wiking Division and the Totenkompf division, I really like the latter.

I have read the rules but I am still prying through them, I figure I'll have a good grasp after I have a game or two under my belt.

I teach at Booker T. Washington High School, I teach 12th grade AP Literature and European History.

Right now I am just scouring ebay for a good deal on miniatures, hopefully I'll have some by weeks end.
Mikey
Mikey
Neophyte

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am

I'm sorry I wasn't able to stick around for particularly long yesterday. I didn't want to leave those folks I came in with hanging.

If you pass by Thursday (since most of us play on that day). I think I have enough models to run a game of 1000 points a piece, if you want to get a hang of the game.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 am

I'll be bringing 2 armies on Thursday, My new Canadian Armored Recce and My Finns. Both 1750. I also have lists made for as low as 600 is need be.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 am

Frantic wrote:I'll be bringing 2 armies on Thursday, My new Canadian Armored Recce and My Finns. Both 1750. I also have lists made for as low as 600 is need be.

Oh crap. I'd love to play against those Canadians.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

Mikey, was there yesterday. Very knowledgeable and really nice guy. I tried my best to answer his questions, I have forgotten a lot.

Cesar also stop by and help him out with his army selection.

Mikey does not have an army right now, but is in the process of purchasing one. He has a gaming background with GamesWorkYourShaft products.

Welcome aboard sir!

Good to see FOW is really taking off.

....hhhhmmm at this rate, may be FOW will surpass SOG.

JerryB

BTW - last night was the biggest turn out for WarMachine that I had ever seen.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next