The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?!

+3
The Eldar Guy
Autarch (CM)
Carlos
7 posters

Go down

High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?! Empty High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?!

Post by Carlos Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 pm

SO...yeah Very Happy how's that for a switch from the norm.

Blocks of wood elf archers and eternal guard. Toss in some Treekin, Wild riders and you have yourself a surgical clusterfuck

What do you think?
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 113
Armies : Blood Angels and Wood Elves
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?! Empty Re: High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?!

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:43 am

Carlos wrote:SO...yeah Very Happy how's that for a switch from the norm.

Blocks of wood elf archers and eternal guard. Toss in some Treekin, Wild riders and you have yourself a surgical clusterfuck

What do you think?

I'm very much liking the idea of a decent block of 30 Glade Guard for a shooting block, 10 wide is a good 25 shots from a brick o' glade guard thanks to the volley.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?! Empty Re: High initiative and big blocks of Wood elves?!

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 am

15x2 for the extra five shots

if you really want to take a charge with them give them a mus for swift reform
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:10 am

that's actually what I'm going to run a big shooting block of 30, 10 wide Very Happy. the rest of the army I'm slowly building around it, I like dryads, but Wardancers are better.

I've been in tactics mode for the past week. I still got more to work on, I'll have a list sometime next week.
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 am

10x2 seems strong enough for glade guard

A 40 man horde of Eternal Guard would be nasty. 50 base attacks from that unit if they did not move that turn. I5, so probably going first. With a Highborn General - they count as core!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Mhm I'm going to run one block of eternal guard with a Noble(stubborn!) and I'm shredding down the number of glade guard, I'm gonna have 2 10x2 units instead of one huge one.

Dryads maybe, but I'm inclined to tree kin more. Perhaps a treeman. I know I'm running a block of Wild Riders 5 across two down with a noble. Going to run one unit of wardancers with my highborn with them.
A spell singer and I'm debating as to tossing more core so I can up the ante on some things. Maybe include some warhawk riders or waywatchers or hell both!
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:30 pm

If you're gonna go 10 wide, you might as well get the extra 5 attacks from the back by going 10X3.

Otherwise I think you're better off with 2 5X2 blocks.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosOriented Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Hm, perhaps 60 Glade Guard total = a very nasty shooting phase.
ChaosOriented
ChaosOriented
Neophyte

Male
Number of posts : 31
Armies : Vampire Counts, Chaos Space Marines
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 pm

ChaosOriented wrote:Hm, perhaps 60 Glade Guard total = a very nasty shooting phase.

30 is good, 25 shots, a few ablative wounds as far as the unit is concerned (fighting against a unit 5 wide you'll put 7 into base contact, so 21 fighting on that front - IF they get into combat somehow); otherwise, you have 5 ablative wounds in the realm of pew-pew.

The other minimum core points can be spent on Dryads, which are still pretty good. Skirmishers are funny now, with the 'loose' formation and such... But Dryads are still decent in spite of that.

Oh; or Eternal Guard, I often take a Treeman Ancient so I forget they can be core too.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Option A: Highborn and ATM now

B: Triple Highborns..... Waywatcher, Wardancer, & Altered!

C: 1 Ancient and 2 rare Treemen at 2500 points. NASTY!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:56 am

I'm running a mash, Treeman Ancient 1 Treeman, 2 high borns, 2 nobles, and a caster to case my life spells and then abruptly turn into a dragon..I mean what?
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:49 am

that spell is pretty boos but with one caster your stuck having to throw all your dice at it. Also if you caster dies from a miscast then you never get the dragon...oh you also need the model...i would say get a reaper dragon if you going to only play down here. I think the people at Tates might bitch but just a for thought
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 pm

I thought about the miscast, luckily I can give my mage a brooch that allows me to re-roll any dice, saving myself from blowing the fuck up.
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm

good i did the same for my empire. for 25 points i get to re-roll all the dice
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Exactly, 25 points and I get to pick and choose the dice to re-roll. So Miscast?! No thank you! At any rate. I'm almost done building the army list, I'm shrinking down the unit of eternal guard for other nasties >Very Happy I'll put up an army list by next week.
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down