The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To kill a steam tank!

+3
luis the young
ShadowMaster
Hurricane
7 posters

Go down

To kill a steam tank! Empty To kill a steam tank!

Post by Hurricane Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:44 pm

I hate steam tanks, and have had an awful time vs Stephan. I play Lizards and there's not much available for us other than magic. Or so I think. I'm looking at using the Lore of Metal to try and kill it. Specifically, Searing Doom and Gehenna's golden hounds. In last nights game I was using Lore of Heavens, looking back at it, maybe I could have Wind Blast'ed it into a forest. Are there penaties for Steam tank to move in a forest? Any feedback would be welcome.

Hurricane
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

To kill a steam tank! Empty Re: To kill a steam tank!

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:55 pm

While you need to take all 10 wounds to score the 300 points, you don't really need to kill a steam tank to take it out of action.

Once you have a couple of wounds on the thing, the risk to generate steam goes up. Once you do 4+ wounds it's almost useless.

The other trick with the steam tank is it can only generates steam on the empire turns. It can take NO ACTION during your turn. Can't flee, can't attack. Can't persue if you flee combat.

All Metal spells would wound it on a 2+ with no save. Any decent role should take it right out of commission.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm

I thought steam tanks were inmune to magic ? If not, then Cracks Call from the Skaven lore that if he fails an Ini test he dies, could kill one real fast.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:16 pm

The removed that paragraph. You can cast on them now.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:The removed that paragraph. You can cast on them now.

MUHAHAH-FUCKING-HAHAAHAHA
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:47 pm

yeah.. Sorry about that Erik, I wasn't fully read up on the errata. Lore of Metal would have really fucked me up, so would Pit of shades from lore of Shadows. But then again.. you knew I had a steam tank before you picked your Lore, which is no longer allowed.
Unless your Teclis. I really hope they errata THAT bullshit

The problem with some of these new magic rules is that they make certain units too risky to take. I'm not sure if it was well thought out enough. I mean, really should a level 1 mage with lore of metal really be able to destroy a steam tank with the signature spell? And with the new rules of tossing out 6 dice, suicide mages are going to be common. Hey look I just blew up your 300 point steam tank by sacrificing a 80 pt mage !. Oh wait , for the mage to die from a miscast, first you have to roll a 1-4 on the miscast and then a 1-3 on the subsequent roll.

While I like the excitement and randomness of the Magic phase.. I fear it was not well tested enough and we are going to see the armies with really powerful magic users start to have the advantage.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Ovich wrote: I mean, really should a level 1 mage with lore of metal really be able to destroy a steam tank with the signature spell?

Should it be T10?
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:56 pm

T10 don't mean jack shit if everything can wound it on a six

Beside you don't really have to wound it that much. Once you get 2 or 3 wounds on it, it's effectiveness goes down drastically.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:01 pm

They nerfed the steam tank and many other units now that you can wound on 6's no mater what. they should have taken the rules they have in place for shooting for wounding when you need more then a 6. ie roll a 6 then roll a 4+ would have made it a lot more lvl and you still would have a chance to wound stuff.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Everything Str5 or greater went down in effectiveness against a steamtank. Bolt throwers instead of wounding on 4s, now wound on 6s. Cannons from 2+ to 4+.

Str 3 wounding on 6s ain't great. If I had a steamtank I would simply -love- it if my opponent fired at it instead of the rest of my army. Its also not a large target anymore.

DE Crossbowmen (Long range, didn't move, hitting on 5s)
Str 3 vs. T5(or greater) with a 1+AS
108 shots
36 hits
6 wounds
1 wound inflicted
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:36 pm

You are right 100% people just need to get use to the new rule system and how to benifit from it. Yes there are still some broken areas but in any gaming system there are area's that need improvment.

I wish I did not hate Joel so much I would love to play down at Sunshine with you all but over the last 5 years I just can not bring myself to do busness with him. He has riped me off way to much I would give him a chance every year and every year he would say one thing then FUCK me when I was at his store spending $500 plus EVERY time. But what ever.

You are right the steam tank taking that many shot for you so your troops can get across is well woth it not to mention the terror factor hell people roll shitty some times, or at least I do.....
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 am

You need steam for the stank to be effective. More wounds = less steam generated safely.

At full steam, the stank is a unstoppable mass. At half steam, it is much less effective.

Once you have 5 wounds, you get no steam and no action. Then it's just a tar pit.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 am

Where do you play ovich? I understand about Joel, but I go to sunshine to play everyone else. It would be great to see someone like you come down and play us newbies. There are a lot of us you could really pwn since we is new.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down