The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tau Battle Suit

+7
Autarch (CM)
feen039
dork_jedi
Vycem
FFYUHR
scurrdi
Michaelharmon
11 posters

Go down

Tau Battle Suit Empty Tau Battle Suit

Post by Michaelharmon Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 pm

Tau Battle Suit Xenos

Tau Battle Suit Xenos1

https://2img.net/h/i182.photobucket.com/albums/x172/harmon75/Warhammer%2040k/xenos3.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i182.photobucket.com/albums/x172/harmon75/Warhammer%2040k/xenos2.jpg

Tau Crisis Suit and Necron.... Had the Tau since the build and arena battle at the Silver Dragon awhile back. His arm and leg have been cut and reposed for a more dynamic effect. I tore him down and he just sat in a bin for a few months. I had the base prepped with the rocks and everything and then wham the paint bug hit me this weekened to finish up old projects so i touched him up, added a bit, and went all out for the destroyed necron on the base. The stem comes off as I figure I can use the base as an objective counter. I did a Gauss rifle for it and even trimed it down to be a stand alone but I don't know if I'll put it on. May put some more damaged pieces down just since I think the base need something. Also I was thinking of doing a fluid spill from the damged leg section but wasn't keen on oily and not sure I will. Ah well enjoy.

Oh yeah can anyone see the green glow on the necron's chest? Might just be and the lighting but I was going for a little ominouse like it might be self repairing.

Last edited by Michaelharmon on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Tau Battle Suit Empty Re: Tau Battle Suit

Post by scurrdi Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 am

Oh shit Mike, that model is fucking amazing...

I love the way you based him and the lunging view, is fantastic!!!!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by FFYUHR Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 am

Really nice sir! Love the dynamic pose! Im doing my crises suits in a similar fashion.

Quick question, how did you do the battle damage?
FFYUHR
FFYUHR
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 95
Armies : lizardmen and tyranid
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 am

I second the battle damage question. I also like the torn effect on the Necron's legs.

LOVE this piece, though I'm still biased because I think Tau battlesuits are kinda ugly. The fact you make this look cool is very impressive.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:13 am

Mike, i have an idea on the battle damage, but my question is the rocks, what did you use?
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by feen039 Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:23 am

that looks awesome
feen039
feen039
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 218
Armies : Eldar, High Elves, Salamanders
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 am

Great job man, you do justice to any model no matter what it is.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am

Wow... Logged in and didn't expect so much response. Haven't seen this in awhile. Well let me try to address a few questions.

Battle Damage
- First I used a small drill bit and tried to base random fire pattern effects a moving target might see in variouse areas. he's more an urban combat Tau but the base denotes open areas. I then took my modeling knife and inserted into the drill holes and moved it back to creat crack damage. You may want to actually go in an "V" the crak to make it look like some metal was blown off in impact but don't go to crazy and I generally think four to five cracks per hole is enough.

- I also simply shaved off some areas or edges with my knife to hint at blade damage or impact from a high speed pass. This was easy as with all damage effects fill them with chaos black and them take mithral silver and dry brush it into the damage with a very small brush and go back with chaos black and dry bruth the areas for scorch effects from impact.

Necron
- As for him I was given a few by a very cool guy and stripped them down for bases though I intend to paint one for myself just to have a completted one. I was going tohave wires coming out of the leg but that seemed kinda low tech for Necrons so I just had the blown limb but I may go ahead and add a bit of lubrican spill just below the leg and down the side of the arm socket.

My only regret is the Tau Suit itself. Since it was a speed paint I didn't have time to trim all the flash and go for a higher level of detail but for a two hour paint job I think he turned out well and to add to that I did the dynamic poses with partially dried green stuff in that time. I think he turned out fine.

My only regret is that I don't play Tau and the only action he will see is if we have another arena battle because in the last one me and Max tore some crap up until the end.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 am

Crap! Oh yeah the rocks are real rocks from Gettysburg. Picked them up while I was down there along with some others from other civil war sites because they looked nice and they add some history to the models I do. Anyway I based them black then used codex grey, fortress grey, and astronomican grey to color them.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FFYUHR Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm

I really really love this piece!

Oh and Tau battle suits are not ugly Vycem! They are awesome baby Gundams ! Respect them!
FFYUHR
FFYUHR
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:58 pm

Ah, imported from Gettysburg
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Tau can be hot.
Tau Battle Suit Shadowsun1
Found this on the web and want Shadowsun just because of it.

Anyway, Yeah Gettyrsburg is cool. I'm a civil war nut I guess. When I was in Afghanistan I picked up a few period British Enfield Rifles. My pride as an 1862 Brisith Enflied conversion rifle that was changed from percusion cap to single shot cartridge feed. Damn thing is sex feet long with fixed bayonet. I also have an 1856 Enfield percusion cap pistol in near mint condition.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Mike,
have you considered using cork, wood chips, plaster of paris for rocks on your bases?
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:29 pm

dork_jedi wrote:Mike,
have you considered using cork, wood chips, plaster of paris for rocks on your bases?

Pfft. He's so hardcore his basing material comes from legitimate war zones.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Mike is so hardcore he starts actual wars just to get basing material.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:36 pm

I do have some rock material from Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia, and Kosivo. But yes I have considered it just need to read up on the best way to prepare it.

I tried using snow for the wolves I did..... was a complete disaster. Not sure what I did wrong but the stuff looked all wrong when it soaked into the glue.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

SWEET! As a new fan of the Tau - I really like it!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Poor necron guy... no fans for you;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FFYUHR Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Pssh the Nercon's are just skeletal metal Persians in the far far future! hehe
FFYUHR
FFYUHR
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm

We should start a Mike Harmon site, just like the Chuck Norris Facts.

"Mike Harmon destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise" .

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Mike Harmon".

Seriously though Mike, It's been great to see how you've progressed as a painter this past year or so. It certainly keeps the rest of us inspired.

Still waiting on your wife's personal tutorial on taking pics.. Will that be coming soon?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:42 pm

Wow.... Thanks for the compliments brother. I always try to step it up a notch every time I paint something new because I always see something I could have done better when my wife takes the pictures and she keeps me inspired to work harder.

I'm going to have to bring her by. Every time I ask her she gives the the Korean "I'm to Shy" response. Like I've said though it's alot of adobe with brightening and darkening effects. I'll have to keep her from deleting a pic before she edits it so you can see how dark it is before she fixes them up.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:11 pm

really great, as usual, but I'd like to see some layering man!
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 am

What???

Do not ask what Mike Harmon can do for you, ask what you can do for Mike Harmon!

Seriously though, awesome fig.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Considering placing this model up for a trade if any Tau players are interested. Just want to see him get some game time and even though I bought shadowsun I don't see me fielding Ray anytime soon. I'm looking fir a valkerie or something. Up in that arena of value as a trade. Hit me up via pm if anyone is interested.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rollo Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:04 pm

wow! that is awsome!!!!!! one day watch one day i will be as good as you
rollo
rollo
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 268
Armies : sons of doubt chapter/ethereal high council guard