The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Guard alternative color scheme

+2
luis the young
Diosamblet
6 posters

Go down

Black Guard alternative color scheme Empty Black Guard alternative color scheme

Post by Diosamblet Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 am

I don't want to do the whole black + some other color for my dark elves, and I imagined a holy khainite shrine in the middle of the frozen tundra of Naggaroth. So my main color will be white with red as my contrasting 2nd. Here's a quick test mini:

https://2img.net/h/i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc165/Diosamblet/P1010008.jpg
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Black Guard alternative color scheme Empty Re: Black Guard alternative color scheme

Post by luis the young Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:52 am

Should come out nice, they will surely look different than this !

http://www.warhammeronline.com/armiesofWAR/darkelves/BlackGuard.php
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Black Guard alternative color scheme Empty Re: Black Guard alternative color scheme

Post by Michaelharmon Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:19 am

I really like the white man. Stands out an dmakes it look sharp.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:43 am

I like the white and I like the red alot. I'm not as big a fan of the silver colored weapon and armor.

I think you might want to consider some bronze or a similar color, perhaps even with a tint or rust or something similar to represent the wear of the weather on the armor. It's too much light colors (for me at least). I think with maybe a bronze or similar color for the metal there will be a serious contrast to your other main colors.

Otherwise he's awesome!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:12 am

yeah I didn't like the silver shoulder pads either. I think the armor has to be white with red contrasts. So I guess I'll use something like a light blue or grey for the robes. I thought about bronze for the metallics, but I don't know if I want ANOTHER contrasting color. Anyways, painting white is a pain in the ass, might end up being lazy and just doing them boring black.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:55 pm

I like the red and silver.

I don't like the white.
I think it looks primed and imcomplete
It looks ALOT like High Elves - that alone should stop a DE player IMO
It doesn't look "Dark"

If you don't want black, maybe a plum purple
you could also carken the red to a crimson
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I agree with the HE likeness and not being dark, but I don't mind the likeness and avoiding a "dark" look was kinda the point Very Happy

I'm happy with the red as a secondary color, and it'll get darkened with washes. I'll also use boltgun instead of metal.

I'm not satisfied with the white because my highlights look like crap. It's a hard color to shade/highlight! In any case I want to keep away from purple, just because it's a mainstream DE color.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Amen!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 am

as soon as I get done with the O&G project I'm painting for Stephan's tournament, I'll start working on assembling my DE. I've got a battalion to build plus removing mold lines etc from 30+ metal elves sigh...
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 am

Have you thought about a dark grey undercoat, with white highlights/drybrush for the white parts, with a black undercoat with blood red highlights for the red parts? Also, the blades/armor can be silver, just give them a good wash with either black, brown, or chestnut, then repaint the edges of the blades silver (I like the bronze idea, though -- maybe with a silver edge to highlight it). The armor would look good with a silver undercoat, a chestnut wash, and silver drybrush...

Otherwise, good to see someone use something other than black and purple for their DE. Just don't get too HE looking...then you'll have to admit that the DE are the vanquished lesser cousins! Twisted Evil
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 739
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down