The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allright , time to man up.

+6
Autarch (CM)
Vycem
Valhalla114
ShadowMaster
rokassan
Ovich
10 posters

Go down

Allright , time to man up. Empty Allright , time to man up.

Post by Ovich Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Here's a Cyclops Brute I just completed for Hordes. Chris, I think you saw this already if I'm not mistaken. *

[img]Allright , time to man up. 106_2451[/img]

[img]Allright , time to man up. 106_2453[/img]

[img]Allright , time to man up. 106_2452[/img]

This guy was painted his base colors, dipped, highlighted, and then based. What I've noticed is that the dipping gives the whole model a little bit of a sheen that you don't pick up with the naked eye as much as the camera. What's not working for me is that there's not enough of a difference in color between his undergarments and his sash.. but I didn't feel like re painting it after dipping him.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Allright , time to man up. Empty Re: Allright , time to man up.

Post by rokassan Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Did some one beat your hands with a rubber malet before you painted that disaster. Jk. I'm on my cell so I can't see the detail, but it looks good.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:19 pm

I told you I liked it when I saw him last weekend....... but can you trust that? pirat
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Oh.. that's right it was you Bill... that saw him. Well... do the pics do him any justice?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Yeah - I think he looks great.

I think the shine makes the round part on the shield almost looks like a translucent gemstone.

The details on the banner are sweet. I thought they were a decal.

I agree about the blending of cloth layer colors - pre dip it would have been better to go with a bit darker tan on the sash so that it would have stood out more.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Valhalla114 Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:10 pm

I like the model but do not like the flesh colored hands.

The blood splatter on the blade is cool. Admittedly.
Valhalla114
Valhalla114
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 465
Armies : Guard, Sisers, =][=, Blood Angels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:24 pm

You know I debated with myself as to whether or not I should just paint the hands black to represent gloves.

In the version done by Privateer Press, they gave him black gloves, but when I looked more closely at the model, it seemed to me that PP just took the easy way out.

On the Cyclops Shaman and Molik Karn, Cyclops flesh seems to be pinkish. So I chose to go that way, but when I come to think of it I don't know why , since the whole cyclops is supposed to be painted Red anyway not green. So don't know why I stuck with the same colored flesh as PP.

Do you guys think I should just black over the hands... It would be pretty easy.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Instead of black, what if he had gloves the color of the shash? I worry the black would be too strong and too different from the harmonious green-white-gold scheme you had going. Actually, I'd be tempted to add a ring of greenstuff around the sleeve and paint it as a gold gauntlet to further the heavy armor look.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Vycem wrote:Instead of black, what if he had gloves the color of the shash? I worry the black would be too strong and too different from the harmonious green-white-gold scheme you had going. Actually, I'd be tempted to add a ring of greenstuff around the sleeve and paint it as a gold gauntlet to further the heavy armor look.

I'm really happy someone voiced the chain-gauntlet idea. I thought of a gold chain-glove using some fine mesh material glued on over the glove in patches (cloth glove with chain-metal plates perhaps?) You would have to prime the greenstuff (by hand, which might be a pain) which is why I considered throwing out the more convoluted mesh glove idea.

EDIT:

Also - Nice choice with the green over the red, very dynastic feel to the model, Jade Warrior or something.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:08 am

Of course you like green and gold Cesar ! (cough Circle cough)

seriously though, I don't know how I could make mesh gloves without adding greenstuff, but then I think they'll be too bulky.

Maybe I should just tone down the pink in the flesh and go for a more gray look. But I was trying to set Cyclops apart from Titan/ Rhinodon/ Basilisk who may have Greyish skin tones already.

I don't know... need more feedback.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:25 am

Ok here we go. The fig looks nice but there are a few things that need to be addressed. The base is too sloppy and too busy. Tone it down some and also give some shading and highlighting to the sand. Also the skin on the hands is too dark. Use some Elf flesh then some white for the highlights. And lastly, Spray it with a dull cote. The gloss coat does nothing but take away detail of highlights and shading from what is a really nice paintjob. Then for the gem just brush over it with gloss coat to bring back the shine on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow that felt great... Twisted Evil
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chef xenos Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 am

i thought it was a gemstone
chef xenos
chef xenos
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 814
Armies : {40k and apoc units} tyranids,gene-cult,exocrine,dominatrix,fortress of faith {bfg}tyranids {battletech} void-stalkers(merc/pirates)
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://john80687.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Abaddon wrote:Ok here we go. The fig looks nice but there are a few things that need to be addressed. The base is too sloppy and too busy. Tone it down some and also give some shading and highlighting to the sand. Also the skin on the hands is too dark. Use some Elf flesh then some white for the highlights. And lastly, Spray it with a dull cote. The gloss coat does nothing but take away detail of highlights and shading from what is a really nice paintjob. Then for the gem just brush over it with gloss coat to bring back the shine on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow that felt great... Twisted Evil

Stephan you asked for it. Javier knows his shit and there aint a fucker on this forum that can touch his level of painting skill. The all mighty painting nerd has spoken.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:47 am

Javi, how is the base too busy? it looks like he is standing in the desert (with a few little grasses in there), the only issue i have with the base is that he got sand on back of the foot and the white marks on the back of the base.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:31 am

Well, I appreciate everyone's feedback . Thank you.

Javy, the basing is the last thing I thought you would have commented about. I normally don't highlight and shade my sand or flock because I think it takes away from the realistic look of the natural materials your using, not because I'm lazy. I usually only paint bases that are non - natural materials such as resin, or plastic.

So If you could post the difference between what I'm showing, and your technique with shading and highlighting a base. That would really help in determining whether I like it more or less.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:23 pm

only thing that I have conflict with with is the bronze. Looks too monotone. I remember seeing a good article done by some dude painting chaos warriors when using metallic metals, but a quick Google search didn't turn up anything.

If you're going to matte varnish, paint on that gloss over all the green- I'd say. It has a really nice effect.

thing about painting your bases is that it ties the model together with it. It doesn't look more realistic (how can you get more realistic than the real thing?) but I think it makes it look cleaner.

w/e, that's my take
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Javy, I was looking at your model of Servath and am wondering if that's what what you mean by highlighting and shading the flock.

[img]Allright , time to man up. Picture005[/img]

In my mind it makes the sand look wet, which is an impression I don't want to give with sand.

To me the dryness represented on my base more accurately represents the " Bloodstone Marches" which is supposed to basically be a desert.

[img]Allright , time to man up. 106_2453[/img]

Does that make sense ? But maybe you're saying there would be a way for me to still do shadows and highlights while keeping the look very dry.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Please ignore the gloss on the base. The fig had not been clear coated yet.

I like giving it a dark brown base coat then highlighting from there. If you want to give it a desert look. You can give it a medium brown and lightlight with a very light brown like breached bone and some white. also Stephan, I usually get a wet brush after applying the sand and remove the grains that got stuck to the bottom of the boots or cloaks. I have also found that with the Warmachine figs it is a good idea not to make their feet flush with the base. When you glue them down raise it a little bit and the sand won't stick to the boots as much.

Call me and I will explain it to you.. I will be up till 12:30 or so.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down