The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undecided on what to play

+8
Vycem
scurrdi
Autarch (CM)
Dr. Love
ShadowMaster
jerryb
Hurricane
luis the young
12 posters

Go down

Undecided on what to play Empty Undecided on what to play

Post by luis the young Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 am

Allright, so i got this problem. I currently own several Warhammer armies and i like all of them, But..my favorite will always be Orc & Goblins.

In the state they are right now O&G are way down on the power scale and makes it hard to win games with
them ( very unforgiven army )
Out of my other armies my favorites in order are:
Tomb Kings
Skaven
Bretonians
Dwarves (working on them )
Beastment

Now, none of this are top teir armies, but they stand a chance on the table top ( well, cept beastment )

I like my Tomb Kings, solid reliable army..but a bit boring to play, doesnt have the exitement that my O&Gs bring to the table. Unbreakble is great, but you always know what to xpect from them..no big surprises there !

My Skaven are great, but i find myself relying way to much on just their magic to get the job done, their regular troops are as bad as Goblins, but without Orcs to back them up. The new rules vs targeting the weapon theams makes them almost not worth taking. I could try to build a SAD army, but dont really sond like much fun to me.

Bretonians look cool, i like the whole Smash in your face with a Lance formation thing and they could be a strong army, but it all comes down to numbers..they dont have them and i have played way to long with the
Horde mentality, i tend to throw my troops away. I just got me some Man'At'Arms and gonna include them in the army, i'll see how this works out with flexibility.

Dwarves i used to play them a LONG time ago, this guys i got mainly cause it was a good deal and im tired of those damn Steam Tanks (glares at cosmo). Once im done buildign them up i'll get a few games in with them. I also thought i was gonna be the only dorf player...and then all of a sudden, like 4 more come out of the caves !

Beastmen were fun before their codex became crap, only way to make them work is to...i dont know, i cant see a way to make them work, i'll hang on to them to see what the new codex brings.

Now..the O&G have some really fun stuff that you can do with them, and they are fun up untill the point that evrything crumbles arround you in a cascade of failed animosity rolls and failed LD tests. Dont get me wrong, i love the little green bastards and i always have fun when fanatics rampage through mine/their units.
I always find myself wanting to play them, but then i get turned off when i remember how poorly they performed last time i used them ( Cosmo ran all over me like it was a free ride ) i swore i would never use them again untill the new codex came out, but i always look at them and wanna play them again !

So what do you guys think ? Take out the green horde and concentrate on them, see if i can find some way to make them competitive and have fun with what i like ? Or grab one of the other armies and play them exclusively to try to get good with them ?
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Undecided on what to play Empty Re: Undecided on what to play

Post by Hurricane Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 am

Well now you sound like a power gamer Luis! Play with what makes you happy. It's about having fun and enjoying the game. Not winning.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 am

Fantasy is broken. You can only be happy when you play WotR.

Jerryb
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Matt was very competitive with O&G and I've seen some nasty lists out of you with those guys (was it 12 chariots?)

Out of all of your armies, I find them the most interesting.

Never-the-less, something tells me your one new Skaven book away from owning a competitive army. Hang tight!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Good Point Bill, every new book has become better and better.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah - and Skaven are POPULAR with the GW crowd.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Love Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:49 pm

you should keep playing O&G. i like shooting greenskins then running over the survivors with my Stank!

You know luis, heres a different suggestion. play with whatever you feel like bringing that day. Did you watch LOTR the night before? bring Orcs and Goblins. Did your wife demand you go kill rats in your house? play Skaven. passed by some egyptian themed place? play Tomb Kings.
Dr. Love
Dr. Love
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 344
Armies : Orks, Empire, Imperial Guard (WIP)
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Just play whatever you want.

But keep the Skaven nearby, if the power creep treats them well.. You're in for a good time.

Longer range ratling guns, cheaper jezzails/plague monks, (total bullshit speculation; but, given the recent trends - you heard it here first. Wink)
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Me playing O&G might be hazardous for your health Cosmo, you were this ... close to having some random fat kid thrown at you Twisted Evil

I am eagerly awaiting the new Skaven book, was supposed to come out in July, but havent seen anything mentioned by GW on them, i just hope they bring the VerminLord, Doomwheel and the Deathmaster back !

I prob need to change what i bring with my greenskins, as much as i like them, the full NG army is not very
stable, not even in the best of days !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:45 pm

A full NG army is just unpredictable, thats the problem with it.

I'd say stick with O&G. There still has some power to them, you just gotta find something that will work for your army based on whats out there. Plus you love your communist greenskins!!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:49 pm

MY Skaven for BattleMechs or WotR, even trade.

uh, get the new and improved (broken battle book soon to be released) and rule the GW Fantasy world.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Scurrdi: Play me! I'm a noob AND I play Ogres. It'll be fun.

You have Skaven Jerry? You didn't tell me you played Fantasy. Plaaaaaay! Or let me know if you're having another Jerry Special.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:02 pm

luis u didn't do that bad with ur skaven in the last tourney if i recall, think about a better skaven book on top of that!
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Fantasy is one of the most unbalanced games out there, it's a great system but the army lists are a mess. Seems like every time we have tried to get groups to play it breaks down to people complaining about the cheese and balance, or how sucky their army is.

I've done ok with my orcs in the past, never played competitively though Fantasy so who knows. I think they are far better than Beastmen which I think is one of the worst armies along with Ogres.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:19 pm

Kyle wrote:...I think they are far better than Beastmen which I think is one of the worst armies along with Ogres.

As an ogre player I have to say:

Wooooh! Represent!

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Luis is an excellent player with a bunch of experience. He could make any list competitive IMO. He is certainly strong with horde armies (something I have little experience with).
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Luis, you sound like a noob. Do I play with a balanced fluffy army or a cheezy one? play with whatever floats your boat, until you get bored and then switch. Or take your O&G and create a cheezy list with it and win . Either way, no ones really gonna bash you for taking powerlists to tournaments. Bill and I have won alot with VCs and Demons and people started bitching so we got the message and stopped playing with them. Maybe that's what you should do... take a cheezed out killer list a few times until people start complaining and then chill out with a less power driven army.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:13 pm

I'd suggest you bring along the orcs and goblins and a second, more competitive army when you game. You can use the O&G vs. other weak armies, or use the competitive army against stronger armies.

Remember we had a blast pitting your Cuban goblins vs. my mixed force? You can have pretty fun games vs. the older codex's.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down