The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motion for Mandatory Painting Score for all Future Tournaments in MIA

+7
Kyle
ShadowMaster
The Eldar Guy
luis the young
Ovich
Abaddon
scurrdi
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Motion for Mandatory Painting Score for all Future Tournaments in MIA - Page 2 Empty Re: Motion for Mandatory Painting Score for all Future Tournaments in MIA

Post by Abaddon Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:35 pm

I don't think the problem is new players. The problem is players that come touranment afer tournament with the same unpainted figures.

My gripe is if you get into this game you know that the figures are unpainted and you would figure that they should be painted at some point.

Maybe the 25% for painting is too much but some system has to be worked out so people that actually put an effort into their armies are compensated for it. It sucks that I work my ass off to paint my army and the guy across from me week after week comes with a silver horde. Pointing at Luis

Like I said before I am not asking everyone to paint like some of our painting experts that we have on these forums but at least make an effort and paint them as best you can. At a later dte if you get better just dip and repaint them.

I mean I ahve seen a few guys in these forums that when they first got into the game they could not paint a barn right and with a little help and incouragment they are painting great now. i.e. Bill(Ciatonni) and Phil

Just my 2 cents.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Motion for Mandatory Painting Score for all Future Tournaments in MIA - Page 2 Empty Re: Motion for Mandatory Painting Score for all Future Tournaments in MIA

Post by Ovich Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 pm

This coming from the guy who's bringing the Silver Horde to the next Flames of War tournament. Rolling Eyes

Hypocrite - a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 am

So I am bringing a silver horde one time. I am only doing so because I do not have time to paint them, but have I not always had my guys fully painted every time we played 40k?

Besides, I garantee that they will not be that way for long. You know as well as any one else how much I detest playing without painted figures.

But just to make you happy, I will do my best to have the army painted before the tournament. tongue
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:36 am

Oooh. they'll be burning the midnight oil at the firehouse the next week or so huh?

I was just kidding Javy... unlike some, I don't think there's any shame in bringing an unpainted army to a tournament.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:44 am

I got into the hobby for the strategy side of it and the fun factor, i couldnt care less if my figures are unpainted, missing an arm or with no head.
When my ugly unpainted army with missing heads beats the crap out of your ' beautyfully painted and based OMFG im better than picasso' army it means that i was the better General, and painting had nothing to do with it.

For those that like to embrace the full aspect of the hobby some type, their efforts should be rewarded in some way at tournaments, but dont penalize to harshly those that just want to play and have fun.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 am

Luis had me beat in a freindly game yesterday, but then I pulled the paint score checklist out on him and I crushed his ass! Cool
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 am

Surely you divided it by 1/3 for a single game! Razz
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:42 am

Evrything was dead, but since they were good looking well painted corpses the game swung in his favor Sad

That game was a rollercoaster ride, it came down to you stopping that last spell to charge.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:14 am

Sounds like a solid match!

What about a battle report!!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 am

Back and forth and down to the wire.
That was game fun as hell!
Not too many walked away from the bloodbath.

We would have played again, but there was a line of peeps waiting for table space.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Typical ShadowMaster game.... Our games are always bloodbaths!
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:39 pm

I started testing out my Citadel Air brush thingie today. Planning on using it to undercoat with foundation instead of just using black and white.

I'll let you guys know how it works. Or even better, I'll post pics of it. eventually.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:33 pm

ooh air brush.... I heard it's really easy to use an airbrush to put on camo to the FoW tanks. Let me know, I might have to borrow that.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Paint scores in tourneys is a poor idea IF it ties in to the overall score. If people want to implement a paint score , it should have a different award. A best painted (fill in the blank) award. Aside from that it could tank people that aren't great painters. In my most recent tourney I got 26 out of a possible 50 points for my armies paint job. I know it's not the greatest painted army, but If I had slaughtered the competition, and assuming I didn't get tanked for sportsmanship (another tourney fail) , There is no way in hell I could have won overall at the tourney.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Airbrushing is cool. Very fast (hint, hint) and a nice soft finish. Definately one of the ways I can complete so many models in the time frame I do.

Best paint always goes to the same couple guys - so I'm really NOT for that idea.

I think the soft paint checklist is the best format.

Something that makes it impossible for the completely unpainted to win first overall, but where most people can easliy compete.

It's not about scoring paint quality - it is about fully embracing the hobby so we have better looking battles.

If we keep things at no paint score, then people will continue to show up completely unpainted.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Hurricane wrote:ooh air brush.... I heard it's really easy to use an airbrush to put on camo to the FoW tanks. Let me know, I might have to borrow that.

For flames of war figs it does look good, but you need to practice, and the GW airbrush is not the best choice for it. I had mixed results with it but with some touch up they came out decent for my first time with an airbrush

Motion for Mandatory Painting Score for all Future Tournaments in MIA - Page 2 5536_1177759757820_1042893186_560225_718921_n

For warhammer sized vehicles doing camo is awesome as it's much easier to handle the airbrush on such a large model. If you want to work with smaller models though you might want to get a dual action airbrush which of course is gonna cost you much more than the GW one. GW airbrush though is great for quick base coating and working with other 28mm figs.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah - I do not have the Citadel airbrush. Mine is from Pearls.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:15 pm

The citadel brush is a good brush for it's own game lines, I would test it before hand to do any smaller scale figs cause it was a headache doing my FoW figs with it. I kind of want to spend the money on a nicer one now after enjoying using the citadel one and hoping to get more fine control. Doing very small sprays with the citadel one just seemed to cause it to clog to easily and had to keep opening up the brush to blow out the clog and then adjust back to lower settings.... got very annoying.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 pm

I would only use the citadel air brush to do base coats in colors they don't normally create for. Foundation paints are pretty solid for base coating and they don't come in a can.

You can do large scale washing with it too.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Traditional airbrush paint is more like ink .\

When you want to airbrush traditional opaque acrylic you need to thin the paint with water.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:14 pm

I need to look into an airbrush!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 am

Ovich wrote:Why should we emulate a gaming a environment (GT's) that most of us see as ultra competitive, and quite pressurized. An environment where people go and pay to have their armies professionally painted in order to have a chance of competing. Is that what we want.

Chris, in the negatives you mentioned above, the one that stands out to me the most is the fact that it alienates new gamers.

We really need to think about that. It's one thing to offer support and encouragement for a new gamer to paint his army. It's quite another to pressure the person into painting if he wants to compete.

Now I know you're all thinking... " There goes Stephan again, being oppositional just because he wants to be able to bring his cheezy vampire counts and Chaos Knights without having to paint them... and he's whining about not being able to win any tournaments unless he paints them "

But honestly folks, that's not really what I'm worried about. My self esteem is strong enough to handle not winning tournaments. So are my pockets, so store credit is not a big issue for me either.

To me it's the competitive aspect of the tournament. To me, the game, whether you win or lose should be about tactics and generalship, not what occurs outside of the tournament. Those games I had against Chris, Cosmo, and Luis, were awesome last tournament ! The most fun in a tournament I've had in a long time, and it had nothing to do with how the models looked on the table top.

Bill you mentioned that if Nate had included a painting score in the last tournament you would have won. Do you honestly think that would have been fair, considering I went undefeated with 2 massacres and a minor victory?

I'm just having a hard time considering the idea that someone can win a tournament based on their skill with a paintbrush, instead of their skill on the table top.

I agree with Stephan, but go figure he has only one army completely painted. The rest are the primed hordes(if your lucky). Of course as far as painting goes its all about time. Being married with young children and the aches and pains of life its not easy to paint shit. I do have three fully painted armies and two that are mostly painted. But thats through a combination of my efforts and some smart purchasing and trading. cheers
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:25 am

1 army fully painted and 1 army half painted !
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:27 am

My mistake. Stephan does paint very well by the way.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 am

Thank you sir.

You in a good mood today or something?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next