The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clan Mechs

+2
Saj
Dakai
6 posters

Go down

Clan Mechs Empty Clan Mechs

Post by Dakai Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:32 am

i was woundering how us guys use the tonnage and what not cause i have a rather large clan force mostly heavy and assualt stars. So yea

Also in the new version how much hasw the clan tech changed
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Clan Mechs Empty Re: Clan Mechs

Post by Saj Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:33 am

Were not playing by tonnage, were playing by the battle value system, unless it s a small game. So if you take a daishi, which is like 4 or 5k BV, i can take anything that matches that (probably a Fafnir and some heavy, or a few mediums)

Saj
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 92
Armies : Dwarfs. Lots of dwarfs.
Registration date : 2009-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:52 am

There really is no "New Version" All they did with the new rules was streamline them a bit and add some weapons and equipment and stuff like that. They also added integrated aerospace rules.

So...Clan tech hasn't changed at all except that they got some new stuff Smile

We will normally be playing Sundays if you want to come out. This Sunday there is a FoW tournament so next Sunday is when we would be playing next. We can also do a Thursday night if you want to do a smaller game.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:47 am

They also have been making little tweaks to some numbers. Most of the newer stuff had updated Battlevalues being assigned to them as part of Catalyst "balancing" things.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am

Ya, thats right. Some things where way to expensive and some way to cheap. Its still more difficult for a Clan player to win using the BV system. But its more balanced than playing by tons...where your IS opponent has little chance.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 am

hey thanks guys
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:15 am

Frantic wrote:Ya, thats right. Some things where way to expensive and some way to cheap. Its still more difficult for a Clan player to win using the BV system. But its more balanced than playing by tons...where your IS opponent has little chance.

what....so we have more guns, more armour, more ammo per ton...wait i see where you are going with this....4 ER PPC's and clan trageting computer???? that is not broken.................now give it is breaks things .......but it's not broken..lol
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 am

Story wise it made sense for the clan mechs to have an advantage of course, but game play wise it just meant you were likely to get your ass kicked.

BV system at least gives the Inner Sphere a chance.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 am

You would think they would make some effort to sychronize the story with the game play, since the game was first.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:59 am

The BV system works out decently at balancing things out, the problem comes when players play by tonnage or one of the other chart systems for force picking.

They really should have only one system default for playing btech instead of having different optional methods which can lead to issues of balance.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:07 am

When clans came out it was suggested that they use the dueling system and that way the IS mechs could concentrate fire while the Clans dueled. I'm not sure if that was practical, I remember most people I knew who played simply didn't use Clan mechs in their games. There is nothing like old school tech games.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:42 am

Old school games are cool. But all the fun new weapons you get with the newer tech are great!

Star League era is probably the best all around IMHO
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 pm

My favorite book was 3026. The old art and background material was great. I would just geek out reading that and 3025 for hours. I had a great love for Battletech that only began to erode when I realized how long it takes to kill just one friggin mech. Also when you design mechs there is just a best way to go about things. Alot of the designs are faulty which would be cool if they all were but then you get the 5 Medium Pulse Laser Charger. I wish they would come out with a new rules system where you can play a 12 on 12 mech game in 2-3 hours.

@Frantic - How long do you think two average experienced BT players would take to play 12 on 12?

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I think it would take about an hour and a half to 3 hours. Depends on the units.

When I used to play with my friend jimmy we would finish a game with a trinary each in about 2 hours average. It makes a big difference when the game is between 2 people who know the rules and units very well.

And...... Your in luck! One of the newer books "strategic operations" Has just such a system. Its called quick play rules. You could play a large scale game in a very short amount of time and it still keeps all the battletech coolness!
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:44 am

Wow, 2 hours? It takes so long to kill these things. Are you using a chess clock or do you guys just play super fast naturally?

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:26 am

We have just been playing for so long... we both started in playing in 97. Rules have never really changed.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 am

See, we shoud have really small games with say two to four Mech's a player, so everyone stays interested and not fatigue by playing long draw out games. Then when you are up to speed you can play the larger games.

And really it is not about quanity but quality. The games should be story driven. All games should be for that matter, not just BattleTech.

JerryB

Last edited by jerryb on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 am

I agree
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down