The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New hobby store idea

+3
Ovich
Kyle
Garry
7 posters

Go down

New hobby store idea Empty New hobby store idea

Post by Garry Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:08 am

What would you think if there was a store that opened that 1/2 the location walled off from the gaming did ceramics were the wifes could go paint ceramics and the husbands would be able to play table top gaming?

Would something like this work?

I was just thinking how much crap I get somethime about my time I spend game playing, would this be the best of both worlds?

The ceramic shop would be able to support the gaming area for the most part selling the un painted ceramics and have the people paint them.

What do you think????????
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

New hobby store idea Empty Re: New hobby store idea

Post by Kyle Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:49 am

Generations in Pembroke Pines did something similar with having one half of store being stamping and other crafts, the other side being gaming. All it did was raise the costs too much for the business to support two separate and unrelated business types with inventory and larger store space that it just sucked out all profitability. They eventually had to shut down the crafting side of the store and move to a smaller cheaper location just to concentrate on gaming. They never recovered from the amount of loss they took opening that big original 2 in 1 store so they all together had to pack up the store... along with many personal family issues and health problems.

Big problem with crafting hobbies many of the ladies are into, are done now in large craft stores like Micheal's and Joan's that little shops just can't afford to keep up with the prices, almost like going against a Walmart when it comes to prices. You would depend completely on being able to get enough people in the shop to do some kind of hobby aspect that also brings in money.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:20 am

I know that Micheal's stopped all there classes and the only place left is Joans. But that make sence about the over head.

It just seems that most table top gaming needs a place to play and there is no money in the actual running of the stores you buy your army then the store waits forever to get another army bought.

What I was looking at was a craft/ceramic/pottery store with a side area for gaming fitting about 10 6by4 tables were you can sit and be comfortable. You would be amazed at what money the goverment throws at you when you area a spanish women. My wife actually can get grants to start up a busness it is pretty sad how it works.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:44 pm

My wife would complain that I'm not spending enough time with her on the "painting/pottery" side.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Ahh but would she get into it. here is a pic of what my wife has painted and she teachs this.

Ok I do not know how to post a pic. they are amazing. If you can explain how to post I will post a pic.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:31 pm

I always imagine a successful gaming store has to cater to the general population first and 'gamers' second.

ex. Board games, video games, generic 'family' games, and other run of the mill stuff at entryway. Further into the store you have your TCG, RPGs, wargaming, tables, etc.

I believe location is the largest factor.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Posting pics:

Click the Host an Impage button (looks like a polaroid and a floppy disk)
Browse the file and upload (size restrictions apply)
Copy the hosted image link and paste it into the post text.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Garry wrote:I know that Micheal's stopped all there classes and the only place left is Joans. But that make sence about the over head.

It just seems that most table top gaming needs a place to play and there is no money in the actual running of the stores you buy your army then the store waits forever to get another army bought.

What I was looking at was a craft/ceramic/pottery store with a side area for gaming fitting about 10 6by4 tables were you can sit and be comfortable. You would be amazed at what money the goverment throws at you when you area a spanish women. My wife actually can get grants to start up a busness it is pretty sad how it works.

Well it would largely be two different stores, I know when Generations opened their thing was that they can have the guys come in and play, while their ladies would do the crafty stuff. Problem was lot of gamers are young, have no female companions, or their lady friends just had no interest at all in that kind of stuff. At Generations they always tried to get me to bring my wife in to do their art and crafts stuff but my wife had no interest in it.

If your going to split a store in such a manner it will have to be a large store to accommodate everyone, and the larger the location the higher the rent, which is the biggest expense to retail locations. One of the businesses does not do well, then your going to have the floundering side pulling down the other.

Also are women going to want to be hanging out in a store that is filled up with a bunch of young kids and gamer types being all loud as they usually are? It doesn't seem like an atmosphere they would be crazy about.

The Eldar Guy wrote:
ex. Board games, video games, generic 'family' games, and other run of the mill stuff at entryway. Further into the store you have your TCG, RPGs, wargaming, tables, etc.

W&P tried this to an extent at first and it didn't work out. Got to realize most of these more general public items are available at major retailers and often cheaper than what any mom and pop shop can offer. Whose going to come in to buy Candy Land when it's at the local Target or Walmart dirt cheap? And video games unless you can buy in massive massive quantities makes very little money. Wholesale prices for a small pop and shop has you making $5 or less on new release titles just because of how little quantity you can afford compared to the giants. With you having to shell out 50+ bucks a pop to stock latest releases, it's just not worth it. Why you don't see games carried outside of major chains anymore.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

That makes sence, it has been a thought of my wife and mine. The ceramic part supporting the the gaming part. Looking at during the day feild trips from day care you know the arts and craft stuff. Making sure that the 2 have a solid wall between them so that the gaming does not offend the craft women. Looking more of the break even in gaming and the profit coming from the lady side of the store. Need to look into some rents and so forth and maybe talk to some of the the hobby store owners in teh area.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:54 am

Ovich wrote:My wife would complain that I'm not spending enough time with her on the "painting/pottery" side.

Amen brother. My wife would find some reason to complain and take from my enjoyment of my hobby.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 pm

My concern with this idea is that it seems to be catering to a very specific subgroup - women who like painting pottery and are involved with guys who are into hobby gaming.

Maybe it's because most of my relationship experience is with women in their 20s, but I've met maybe one woman who's into painting pottery. I've known a couple that like sewing, some that like cooking, etc.

In other words, it's if someone was opening a craft store like Michael's and had a section devoted for the husbands that offered Flames of War. Some of us play flames of war - I don't, some others don't. We'd have no interest in this.

Know what I mean? Does this make sense?

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:56 pm

No it makes sense, as I mentioned above it was a problem Generations ran into. They had the big idea that the wives and girls of the gamers will want to do the crafting but most just had no interest in that.

And as I said before, really lot of gamers are young or don't have female companions.

Is pottery a big enough business to sustain itself a retail location? Bigger the store the bigger the costs, and the more money your going to need to make, and if your going into it with the idea that one side would support the other, then your going into the business all wrong. Both sides would need to be strong to sustain such a business.

You will also have the issue of always having to have both at the shop to run it and the events since its two separate things. This means having double the employment as well for the store since you are unlikely to find employees proficient in both sections of the store.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down