The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Skaven Wheel and rats

+3
Beornegar Granitebrow
scurrdi
Garry
7 posters

Go down

New Skaven Wheel and rats Empty New Skaven Wheel and rats

Post by Garry Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:59 pm

I have the new Doom wheel and 40 new Skaven rats that I am painting for Tates they are great. The rats come with Tails on them and fit very nice in rank and file. The book is awsome the posting do not due it justice at all.....

Garry
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

New Skaven Wheel and rats Empty Re: New Skaven Wheel and rats

Post by scurrdi Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 pm

I'll need to take a look. Can't wait till Luis shows up with some wonderful form of nastiness!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:43 pm

they realy made it a very playble army took away some of the cheese and then added some really cool shit. Morter and catapult if I rember right and can not shoot into combat any more only into slaves and rattling gun need to role to hit and wound now and cool add ons to units the new bell look really cool also.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Beornegar Granitebrow Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:59 am

any pics?
Beornegar Granitebrow
Beornegar Granitebrow
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 57
Armies : DWARFS, BEASTMEN, SPACE ORKS, TROLLBLOODS
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:41 am

I primed it yesterday and plan on starting to paint it today. It is one of those models that there is noway to put it all together then paint you need to put some of it together and a have about 25% still apart. It is all plastic thenk god.... I am also hpoing to get the 40 new clan rats together and painted this weekend. Those model are a big improvment from the old.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 pm

I went over the book and went on line to see what others thought and in general, as far as playability, I think there is a good amount of disappointment. Not in terms of power, you can still make a pretty damn cheezy army, but in terms of some of the things that made the rats super fun and cool to play with.

Here's what people have been disappointed with.

Storm Vermin, are still not really worth taking over regular clan rats.. they are basically 2x the points and have +1 weapons skill, heavy armour vs light armour, and +1 strength due to halberds. But if you use the halberds, you negate the benefit of the heavy armour.

Skaven magic took a big hit. no more +9 warp lighting option, and in general it's been nerfed. Plague magic is nice and probably the more powerful of the 2. The dreaded 13th spell is fluffy, but getting it off on a +25 is ridiculously dangerous and not worth the outcome, plus it can be dispelled by a scroll.

People are really pissed about the lead from the back rule. It used to be you could choose to put a skaven leader in the back ranks. No more. Now, the rule is that if they are challenged, they can go to the back with no penalties and you can still use banners and stuff. But, a nice unit of chaos knights can walk up to your SB and just hit him with 6 attacks, since it's not a challenge, there's nothing he can do.

The weapon team add ons to units are cool , but generally expensive. They are also questionable in terms of effectiveness. Ratling guns are completely nerfed, having to roll to hit now. But at least their range was increased to 18 inches. The mortar is cool, because it's move AND fire, but having to wound people on a 5+ , when EVERY OTHER poison wind weapon is on a 4+ makes no sense. The CC attachment is cool and provides a little punch to units.

The warp lightning cannon is better at sniping now, having longer range, but is less destructive. It shoots like a cannon now, with everything in the path of the bounce getting hit.. At the end of the bounce, it explodes using the small blast template. No more going through 5 or 6 units. If the roll for the bounce is a misfire.. nothing happens.. no blast.

As mentioned above.. you can only fire into skaven slaves.. no other units.. ALOT of people are pissed about this.

Plaugue Censor Bearers are awesome now because they are a special choice and do not have to hang around the parent unit anymore. You can expect to see a but load of these in any competitive skaven list. 6 of these guys will dish out 18 Strength 5 attacks plus the damage from the fumes causing toughness tests. They will wreck shit if they don't get shot up. 10 of them only cost 170 points. But talk about a glass jaw..

Jezzails are still nasty but lost skirmish, so have limited arc of vis.

Night runners are no longer skirmishers ? WTF? ranked up ninja assassins in training.. stupid. They can take an item that let's them tunnel, but they rank up..... dumb..da dumb dumb.

Almost every Clan skyre contraption has a nasty misfire chart where basically a 6 is the only decent outcome.

Rat ogres are a little better.

No more plague rat swarms.... booo hooo... just regular swarms.

Special Characters are generally overpriced for what they do.

I think what people are going to see is the Screaming Bell and Plauge Furnace... both make the units pushing them unbreakable, which is something a skaven army needs. I think we'll see more plague priests, since they are much more survivable then engineers and have access to a better overall lore. We're also going to see a few "Hell Pit Abominations" . they are expensive but nasty and will basically wreck most units they hit. plus when you kill them they have a chance to come back to life, or turn into a bunch of rat swarms... how cool is that ?

As usual, we'll have to see how people make combinations to get a feel for how nasty the army is really going to end up being.

I don't think it will be the same Caliber of Nastiness we're seeing with Demons, Dark Elves, VC's and Lizards.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:33 pm

I have to say, this is the first release where the new models sold me on the army. I never cared much about Skaven before but damn, those war machines are amazing. Empire tempted me with their steam tank but didn't sell me. Lizardmen tempted me with their Stegadon. Skaven...skaven have me looking at them reaaaally closely.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:29 am

Ovich wrote:I went over the book and went on line to see what others thought and in general, as far as playability, I think there is a good amount of disappointment. Not in terms of power, you can still make a pretty damn cheezy army, but in terms of some of the things that made the rats super fun and cool to play with.

Here's what people have been disappointed with.

Storm Vermin, are still not really worth taking over regular clan rats.. they are basically 2x the points and have +1 weapons skill, heavy armour vs light armour, and +1 strength due to halberds. But if you use the halberds, you negate the benefit of the heavy armour.
I agree with this, the models look nice as hell, but there is no need to take this guys, they were supposed to drop in cost so peopel would take them, but at 2x the cost of a clanrat, not worth it.

Skaven magic took a big hit. no more +9 warp lighting option, and in general it's been nerfed. Plague magic is nice and probably the more powerful of the 2. The dreaded 13th spell is fluffy, but getting it off on a +25 is ridiculously dangerous and not worth the outcome, plus it can be dispelled by a scroll.
Warpligthing was too strong and was bound to get nerfed, the 13th spell will never see the light of day in a game.

People are really pissed about the lead from the back rule. It used to be you could choose to put a skaven leader in the back ranks. No more. Now, the rule is that if they are challenged, they can go to the back with no penalties and you can still use banners and stuff. But, a nice unit of chaos knights can walk up to your SB and just hit him with 6 attacks, since it's not a challenge, there's nothing he can do.
THIS right here pisses me off, Lead from the Back was a great and fluffy rule for Skaven, now our very frail characters are opened to be destroyed by anything that hits the unit.

The weapon team add ons to units are cool , but generally expensive. They are also questionable in terms of effectiveness. Ratling guns are completely nerfed, having to roll to hit now. But at least their range was increased to 18 inches. The mortar is cool, because it's move AND fire, but having to wound people on a 5+ , when EVERY OTHER poison wind weapon is on a 4+ makes no sense. The CC attachment is cool and provides a little punch to units.
The Ratling Gun nerf sucks, that thing only worked half the time anyways, the WarpFire thrower is gonna be king now, with the rule that a anyone touched by a template counts as hit, no partials, they are gonna wreck units.

The warp lightning cannon is better at sniping now, having longer range, but is less destructive. It shoots like a cannon now, with everything in the path of the bounce getting hit.. At the end of the bounce, it explodes using the small blast template. No more going through 5 or 6 units. If the roll for the bounce is a misfire.. nothing happens.. no blast.
No more shoot through cover Sad the blast option is very nice with the no partials rule.

As mentioned above.. you can only fire into skaven slaves.. no other units.. ALOT of people are pissed about this.
This just plain sucks, Life is cheap option was one of the best Skaven rules.

Plaugue Censor Bearers are awesome now because they are a special choice and do not have to hang around the parent unit anymore. You can expect to see a but load of these in any competitive skaven list. 6 of these guys will dish out 18 Strength 5 attacks plus the damage from the fumes causing toughness tests. They will wreck shit if they don't get shot up. 10 of them only cost 170 points. But talk about a glass jaw..
Clan pestilence is gonna be the army to play now, all their units got better and the Sencer bearers are unfucking insane right now.

Jezzails are still nasty but lost skirmish, so have limited arc of vis.
They will run at the first couple of wounds taken. worthless

Night runners are no longer skirmishers ? WTF? ranked up ninja assassins in training.. stupid. They can take an item that let's them tunnel, but they rank up..... dumb..da dumb dumb.
Not dumb at all, all of a sudden you have a fully ranked unit comign up behind your lines that can charge the turn they come in Twisted Evil

Almost every Clan skyre contraption has a nasty misfire chart where basically a 6 is the only decent outcome.
No big surprise here, skaven machinery is unstable at best

Rat ogres are a little better.
This is very good, Giant rats got lot better also, now Rat Ogres wont just be free VPs anymore

No more plague rat swarms.... booo hooo... just regular swarms.
nvr usef rat swarms, they were to expensive.

Special Characters are generally overpriced for what they do.
Not sure if i agree with this, the Deathmaster is a wrecking machine.

I think what people are going to see is the Screaming Bell and Plauge Furnace... both make the units pushing them unbreakable, which is something a skaven army needs. I think we'll see more plague priests, since they are much more survivable then engineers and have access to a better overall lore. We're also going to see a few "Hell Pit Abominations" . they are expensive but nasty and will basically wreck most units they hit. plus when you kill them they have a chance to come back to life, or turn into a bunch of rat swarms... how cool is that ?

As usual, we'll have to see how people make combinations to get a feel for how nasty the army is really going to end up being.

I don't think it will be the same Caliber of Nastiness we're seeing with Demons, Dark Elves, VC's and Lizards.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:52 am

The new rat models are great they have 2 pieces and rank up perfect. No more body 2 arms head tail legs glueing. Hell you can maganatize the one arm and change from spear to sword really easy.

The war machines look awsome the doom whell is really cool to paint but the instruction suck.

I will be building a new skaven army to see how they play I love the war machines also and the new models.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Im going to prob go the Clan pestilence path, they got VERY strong in this book
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:17 pm

I think the changes where nice. I recall when every army could shoot into their own ranks. Your telling me that you can not see Night Goblins firing into their own, or orcs firing into Goblins...lol. I do like how that rule sticked around for just the slaves.

And i think Storm Vermin are worth their price. i mean 8 points. not bad. Lets look at other halberd using units. Empire guys a 6 with sheilds. So for two more point you get heavy armour, higher I and higher M, higher WS, plus you get plus one LD for each rank, plus +1 to flee distance.....shit that seems like an ok trade. Men-at-arms 5 points (they make goblins look over priced) again Vermin would clean their clock(look at what you get for that 3 point increase). now the next units that come to mind is the Chaos Warriors and Temple Gaurd.

TG are 16 points, they are special and to make them really shine you have to take a Slaan which eats up arond 500points, a really nice unit of TG are about 20 or so strong. So you have around 1000 point in a unit

Chaos Warriors: are base 15 points and they rock!!! give them say Sheilds and Halberds so your at 17 points.....give them a mark. the get kicked up a notch. BAMM!!!! Chaos Warriors can buzz-saw evevything even TG (with Slaan) like nothing. If you make them chosen well they hey there kids you got 20 points a pop. That is some real killy shit right there but again it has it's down sides. Bullet magnets....

You have Black Gaurd which at 13 a pop but there is never alot of them, and if you go a shit load they become bullet mags. and there speical.

Hell i think over all Storm Vermin are soild. But than again i do not play the ratmen. but i look forward to playing against this new book, it is always fun to play against skaven cause you never know what is going to happen
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:36 pm

When I get the book I want to try to build one army of each clan then I can enjoy the army and not get bored.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down