The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warhammer Invasion the card game

+6
Ovich
Saj
Feros_Ironfeld
RurykUlfhammer
Kyle
Hurricane
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Warhammer Invasion the card game Empty Warhammer Invasion the card game

Post by Hurricane Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:59 am

Stephan bought the game and loaned it to me to learn the rules so we can play at a later time. It looks pretty cool. Has anyone played it? I was looking at A Game of Thrones the card game also. I loved those books. Has anyone played that game?
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Warhammer Invasion the card game Empty Re: Warhammer Invasion the card game

Post by Kyle Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:18 am

Was not a fan of Game of Thrones for some reason but only tried it once. Picked up Invasion and it's pretty nice looking. Enjoy the LCG format very much, have gotten into so many CCG's just to drop them usually due to the community that develops around them.

I have played the Call of Cthulhu LCG they put out and it was pretty good game. Invasion is made by the same guy who did the recent Chaos in the Old World board game which was excellent.

The art is nice too since they are mainly using all official GW art.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RurykUlfhammer Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:28 am

Im dieing to try this one out as soon as my local store grabs it im wheedling my wife till i can buy the starter.

RurykUlfhammer
Neophyte

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:12 pm

I bought the game this past Friday and played four intense and fun games. I loved it. I am looking forward to the army packs and expansions. Loads of fun. Of course I love the Orcs. I think the Dwarves are pretty powerful as well as Empire. Chaos takes a bit of time to develop, but watch out if it happens. You guys should pick up a set. It's a pretty good game.
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:15 pm

The art is fantastic too. The game is easy to learn and has a good feel to it. There is an online tutorial if your not into reading at Fantasy Flight Games or look it up on youtube. Very easy. keeps you on your toes and thinking.
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Saj Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 pm

im sorry... what does LCG mean?

Saj
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 92
Armies : Dwarfs. Lots of dwarfs.
Registration date : 2009-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Living Card Game. Basically it's not collectible, you don't buy packs. The game is essentially a CCG like magic and such, but you get prepackaged cards and expansions are just preset cards, you never get random stuff.

It's for people who like cardgames but hate spending ton of money on cards or dealing with collectors nonsense.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by Saj Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Nice. Hmm....

Saj
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 am

I think it was a very suave marketing move from Fantasy Flight. Their focus groups and research probably showed them that the one thing people don't like about card games is the collection aspect that both makes the game expensive and creates a schism between the haves and the have nots.

So with these, everyone has the same access to every card and it's all about how you build your deck, not how much money you have or who you know that can get you rare cards.

Plus most of the LCGs have a separate gaming aspect that differentiates it from other card games. For instance, Magic, Warlord, and L5R are played with the just straight cards.

With Invasion you have your cards and a large mat that represents your kingdom. You have to defend the different areas of your kingdom and placing cards in different areas can have different effects. It's pretty cool.

Erik and I are gonna test it out soon.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:22 am

I bought the game a week ago and have played 7 games. It's easy to learn, easy to setup and takes about 45 minutes to an hour to play. It's addictive. Learning and setting up are very fast. Making decisions on which cards to play, what zones to build and defend can be quite harrowing. It's definately about resource management and card combos. Great game. Definately recommend getting the core set. It's also great for multi-player. There are plans to make it multi-player in the future and the cards already lend themselves to it. There are currently home made multi-player rules out on the internet I've seen that are very good in my opinion.

I like the fact that I won't have to spend tons of money to build a deck. It's like the miniatures version in that you can buy army packs that focus on your particular race/army.

Loads of fun, great for quick casual games. Definately worth it's value.
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:16 am

The expansions by the way are not real army packs per say, they basically are just a pack of cards for all factions even though the naming of the expansions makes them sound and look like army specific sets.

Dark and High elves are the only other 2 races planned to get added to the game while everything else for now is an ally race/army.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Erik and I played our first 2 games of Invasion this past monday night.

I played orks and he played empire in both games.

I must say I think it's a fun game and has a lot of potential. I think we definitely had a lot of rules questions and I'm not sure if their is a Q&A out yet.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by spazfrag666 Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:04 am

sounds cool cant wait to try it

spazfrag666
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 99
Armies : O&G,chaos dwarves,Ogre kingdoms
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:28 pm

1. What rules questions do you have?

2. http://www.Fantasyflightgames.com
Go to the Warhammer Invasion forums they have a rules discussion
section in there.

My son and I and some of his friends have been playing. We're in the middle of hashing out campaign rules. It's going to be fun to do.

I spoke with Joel about starting a group there on Saturday afternoon. I got the go on it, but will probably hold off till early or mid December to do it. I will let you know. Hopefully some of you will show up on the announced day and play a few rounds.

Anyone interested? Post here!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:39 am

I'm definitely interested. I was thinking about selling my set on Ebay because I didn't think there would be enough people to play with and it would just be a waste of money. But if you wanna start up a campaign, that would be great.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Sounds good. I'm willing to commit to twice a month. Weekends are spotty. I might be able to squeeze out a Monday better.
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 pm

For those interested might want to talk to Tate's as they are trying to set up league play for Invasion card game, they got in first league kit from FFG and if they get enough interest they would put more support into possible events for the game.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Tate's too far for me unfortunately
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Feros_Ironfeld Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Same here.
Feros_Ironfeld
Feros_Ironfeld
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:31 pm

2nd expansion pack is out, 2 more coming up along with the box set that adds the High Elf and Dark Elf factions.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:19 pm

I spent Christmas at my in-laws and my brother in-law and I played about 20 games of Invasion over that time.

This game rocks. It's easy to learn, has a whole bunch of Meta, and is just exciting. If you are a fan of the warhammer world, all the better.

My only reservation, is that it seems like in order to compete at a tournament level, you need to get 2 or 3 of the core set, followed up by 2 or 3 of the expansions in order to really be competitive.

Certain cards like "WAAAGH" only come 1 in a core set. So if you want 3 of those in your deck, you gotta buy 3 core sets. Unless you go to ebay which blows.

I propose, that if we have tournaments in Sunshine, we make them stock.
In other words, you cannot use more copies of a card than already exists in the set in which is was released. I think it will make it much more strategy based and much less, who has more money based.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Saj Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Hey guys, ive been Considering playing this game, though i dont know anyone who plays. Are there any days that you guys play this week so i may come and watch?

Saj
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel_Cesar Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:45 pm

another TCG another money pit. Stephan you off all people should know that if your going to start a scene for a TCG you can't hinder the
ONE CARD-PER DECK RULE. The game isn't suppose to work that way. Perfect example was Warlord and No Prisoner's any fighter worth their snuff ran 3 of those cards. I've never played this TCG to be 100% honest and I would like to give it a whirl so if you are ever around Joels lemme know be nice to get a demo!

DarkAngel_Cesar
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 512
Armies : Ravenwing and Dark Angels 3rd company
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Even if you buy multiple packs to get multiples of a card, it's still much cheaper than any CCG.

Best thing is if you can find someone elso to go into it with you who will play some other races and you can simply split the cost and trade.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Well, it's cheaper in the sense that CCGs have those rare cards that can be quite expensive, especially if you want 3 of them.

With the LCC, it seems you have to buy 3 core sets, which is over a hundred bucks(retail) , but then you get 3 of everything, not just some rare cards.

If you want 3 of all the expansions you'll have to shell out 30 bucks (retail), with each expansion, which come out once a month.

So over a full year, if you want to remain fully competitive, you'll have to pay 460 bucks. That's not including any main set expansions like the high elf/dark elf one, which will probably be 35 bucks also. So if you release 4 of those in the year. it gets even more expensive.

That's why I like the idea of having stock card set tournaments. Even playing field. Everyone, no matter who you are, or how much money you have, has access to the same exact kind of cards and can definitely stay competitive. It's more about strategy and deck building with what you got, instead of loading your deck with cards that have never been fully play tested and just cause way to much havoc.

Cards like the Rune of Valaya, Waagh, Troll Vomit, Judgement of Vierna, and uber powerful shit, shouldn't have multiples, because someone with deeper pockets is gonna have 3 of them, and the poor shmoe is only gonna have 1. That's gay.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next