The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to beat the stunties?

3 posters

Go down

How to beat the stunties? Empty How to beat the stunties?

Post by Warlord Solskritt Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey everyone! Since I'll be playing against Fred and his Dwarf-things on Sunday I was wondering if any of you have any tactics on how to beat them. Thanks in advance for the replies!
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

How to beat the stunties? Empty Re: How to beat the stunties?

Post by Ovich Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Man, Fred and his dwarfs.

I've had the pleasure of beating Fred with my wood elves and my empire on a few occasions, but it's never been easy. Dwarves are rock solid, probably the best all around army in Fantasy IMO right now. Why? The shoot, shoot , shoot, and then when you finally get close... say hi to the impenetrable wall of dwarven warriors.

Here's what I know about Fred.

1. He's a savvy player. He knows what he's doing, and he will most likely know the strengths and weakness of YOUR army.

2. He's not a cheezy player. While he takes his fair share of cheeze to the table like the rest of us, he doesn't usually play with an over the top list that he could easily make.

3. He likes Bolt Throwers over cannons and he is preferential to organ guns. I've NEVER seen him take a grudge thrower. He also likes the flame cannon. If he decides to go artillery heavy ( which hopefully he's getting tired of) he'll probably take like 2 bolt throwers and flame cannon and an organ gun... or maybe 2 organ guns.

4. He relies on his blocks of infantry to win the day. and why Not? Dwarven infantry combined with Runic Standards and Heros = best in the game.

5. Fred usually loves to tool out his Dwaven Lord.

Here's what I would consider.

1. Take units that can kill his artillery. Otherwise they will sit there all day and make a mess out of your units. Organ guns can make a mess of skirmishers since it doesn't roll to hit, so watch out for that. Flame cannon is bad news for skaven because of their low toughness. Use your gutter runners to tunnel and attack his artillery from the rear. Go after Organ guns first since they can swivel around and chew up your gutter runners like butter. Don't underestimate dwarven artillerymen, though !! They are stubborn with a LD 9... so if you don't kill all of them you may be in trouble. Poisoned attacks will help you against that Toughness 4 though.

2. Don't go magic heavy. In a 2000 pt game, Fred will usually have 5-7 dispel dice and 3 dispel scrolls, rendering your magic less effective. Plus, at Toughness 4, many of your spells will be less effective against dwarves in general. Unless you go really magic heavy with a grey seer, screaming bell , 3 warplock engineers and such... then you may be able to overwhelm him magically.

3. Use your speed. He's Movement 3, you're movement 5 !! Hello ! Out flank him with some rat ogres or some rat swarms or something. This way when you do engage with your blocks of infantry, you can remove his rank bonus.. Also, you should ALWAYS get the charge on him, unless you're already stuck in. Use fast units to go up the flank behind as much cover as possible. When the time is right, make it impossible for him to avoid the flank charge. Removing dwarven ranks is the best way to beat them.
Watch out for the GENERAL's unit though, It will most likely be STUBBORN on a leadership 10.. So use some slaves and rat swarms to tie it up all game.

4. Watch out for Slayers if he takes any. A unit of Slayers will chew threw a rat unit like a god damn meat grinder. They have NO armour so target them with Jezzails, ratling guns, and warp lightening cannon.

5. Don't take his gunners and crossbowmen for sissies. They are still dwarves that hit you on 3's and have toughness 4. Some may even have great weapons !!

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:52 pm

I agree with that, though I'd mention that Fred actually took a Grudge Thrower for the first time in the March tourney. Either way I'd agree that he loves those God Damn organ guns way too much.

His General will be with a unit of Hammerers because they become stubborn and Immune to Fear and Terror. Hammerers have the weakest save vs. anything so I'd pump them full of shots.

Also a good general tactic is to simply overwhelm him. Your gonna out number him by alot so I wouldn't be afraid of just sending wave after wave in. The more times you make him waste those runes for combat res eventually he will run out of them and break.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down