The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle

+9
Garry
rokassan
Vycem
ShadowMaster
scurrdi
The Eldar Guy
Diosamblet
Autarch (CM)
Michaelharmon
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Empty St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle

Post by Michaelharmon Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 pm

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle B5abd67b

prep and trim is done. I'll prime and begone basic painting tomorrow.

Honest opinion as I'm torn.
A.) bolt gun metal base armor color with gold icons
b.) gold armor with white icons.

A.) white angelic wings
b.) black wings trimmed in white for a fallen war torn look

a.) white roses
b.) red roses

anyway, she is only pinned now so hope to get siome feedback since I will start her in Ernest tomorrow and work on a few other sides while she is drying between layering.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Empty Re: St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle

Post by Autarch (CM) Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:49 am

Michaelharmon wrote:St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle B5abd67b

prep and trim is done. I'll prime and begone basic painting tomorrow.

Honest opinion as I'm torn.
A.) bolt gun metal base armor color with gold icons
b.) gold armor with white icons.

A.) white angelic wings
b.) black wings trimmed in white for a fallen war torn look

a.) white roses
b.) red roses

anyway, she is only pinned now so hope to get siome feedback since I will start her in Ernest tomorrow and work on a few other sides while she is drying between layering.

If my opinion is of any merit, I say: Gold armor & white icons/black wings trimmed in white/red roses. GRIM & DARK is key. Red will pop, black wings cover the aforementioned grit element and gold/white just feel like adequate saintly garb.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Grim it is since it's the majority vote... Or the only;) anyway, she is primed and not much else. Pirimed an entire Epic Space Marine Chapter nearly.... So a can and a half of black primer later and I'm just now done. I mat never highlight or touch them up but at least they are black like any good black Templar should be;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.

Back to top Go down

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Empty 50%

Post by Michaelharmon Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:26 pm

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Accbb39e

body detail is mostly done andbading is at 50%. I stll have to do the sword arm and wings. Not a 100% sold on black wings since I haven't higlighted the wings yet. Most Lilly a blue wash for that overly black look and the highlights in light grey to white onthe most extreme edges. I'm saving the face till right before the wings but I'm leaning towards red hair since I've always been partial to red heads.

Any thoughts as always are welcome even if negative. Something is better than nothing after all;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 pm

love the red cloth, it came out great. Nothing to criticize so far! Just makes me wish I had brought some models to Chile so I could paint haha
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:13 pm

oh wait yeah, there is one thing: maybe you could use some green stuff to join the model's base to the larger scenic base? As is, you can clearly see where the two join.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Got ya;) they aren't attached yet anyway. Just pinned in place.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:11 pm

ooOOoo AaaaAh Very Happy
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:16 pm

The Eldar Guy wrote:ooOOoo AaaaAh Very Happy

Smart ass;) lol!
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:41 pm

That model looks like a biatch to put together.

That being said, I actually have a comment to make. I'm not sure if your going for this look, but she looks really dark. Like EVIL dark. For some reason, I pictured the model like, spewing forth golden rays of anti-evil-ness.

Its still a great paint job, just a different take then I kinda expected. Thats all. Maybe lighter color wings would help.

Blue, but I'd even do like a cream color or something, just to make the model a little lighter, really make it stand-out. Then do the blue high-lights to show the more "Emperor touched" aspects of it.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:05 am

Hrm.... YOu make a very valid point. Wanted to go for the dark heart of battle but the armor can portray that effectivly with the scenic base followed by angelicly white wings. Good call.... Black still would have been bitching;) Just finished the first base layer of skin tone on the face. Nice and creamy soft;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Most excellent.

The wings do dominate a lot of the presence the model has - but you hit the nail on the head, once the wings get highlighted they might get a better sense of depth. Arguably; with the size of the wings on the model, any color it has will dominate your impression of the Saint.

I do agree with Scurrdi - maybe a salt/pepper kind of gray color for the wings? There's no need to over complicate matters - but I wanted to offer some sort of chin-stroking hypothetical advice again.

I happen to like the dark look for Sisters of Battle - purging, burning, martyrdom and zealotry doesn't scream pristine/pearly to me.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 pm

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle 0a939d5e

Done. Just waiting fir the wife to take the official pics. I am going to try and scale diwn an Imperial Guard Recruitment poster and weather it to one of the collapsed walls I think though. Overall I did a grey brush on the wings followed by bleached bone with a badab black wash and a final skull white highlight. I highlighted her features very softly as I wanted that pale skin and redidh hair look in keeping with a darker if not goth look. I also filled the base gap with a little sand and it blended well. Feel free to critic.

P.S. Just noticed... More people need to post painting or you may have to name the worksop after me;) ten of the posts in it are mine;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Empty St Celestine "The Living Saint"

Post by Michaelharmon Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:15 pm

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Celestine

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Celestine1

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Celestine3

St. Celestine: Sisters of Battle Celestine2

I shall now bask in your praise and approval....Wink Or your thrown feces.... whichever affraid
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:27 pm

SWEET!
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:13 am

Much approved, it gets my not-so-important stamp of approval!

I like the grey a lot, still gives it an ominous edge without being TOO dark.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks. Only a 6.6 rating on Cool Mini or Not. Hoping it gets above table top quality this time;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Very cool. All ties in nicely. I like the ginger girl Cool

I'd say the skin/hair looks a little flat. Bringing that up would be worth a point at least
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Very nice model - the wings came out very neat, and the rust effect on the base is fantastic!

Here are a few criticisms or rather suggested improvements (unless you're definitely done with the model):

The roses on the sword could use a lighter highlight around the edges of the petals.

The hair might benefit from a further highlight too, but that's only based on how it looks in the photographs. It might be fine in person.

I would lighten the tips of the halo spikes, and darken the bases with a brown wash. They're an important part of the model and look a bit flat.

I think the reason it didn't score so well on coolmini is that the base and wings have a very similar highlight, and they tend to overwhelm the rest of the model.

The wings are very neat as I said, but they lack depth. If you could darken the color where one "layer" of wings overshadows the other, and then further highlight the tips (which I know will be tough if your last highlight was skull white).
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:23 pm

I love it! My only concern is from a modeling perspective (sadly, my painting is too subpar to say anything constructive!): while I love the wings, I don't like the back shot because it ruins the illusion. That is to day, the halo is too interposed between the body and the wings, so it ruins the illusion and makes it look as if the wings are floating. From the front, however, is awesome!

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:25 pm

I know. Couldn't come up with a good way to mold the wings in without loosing the halo in any meaningful way and make the wings lok natural.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:11 pm

She'd look good skewered on the end of my Great Unclean One's Sword of Corruption or beaten into a bloody mess...like a woman who just sassed her husband, with the chains he's dragging.

Great looking model by the way.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

I think I feel a game coming on;) one more squad of sisters and I may be able to field them;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 pm

looks great I like the more darker look on models they are in a battle for there lives and the painting can show it.

Love the model is this model some thing they sell at games workshop?

I will start posting some of my paint jobs looking for feed back it seems you get great helpful feed back from eveyone.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

This is a gw model you can get from Joel. I got the base from him and the wings are from a series of models Joel gas in stock slot of people use for fantasy games.

Yeah I do get alot of feedback. Really my only reason to post ad I always want to improve which I think I do steadily as I've been posting here. Alot of better painters on here like the Eldar guy that can give you done great feedback on anything you post.

The workshop here is for honest feedback though so unless you don't want any criticism just post on the painting section;)
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next