The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which type of Tournament would you prefer?

+7
Ovich
Garry
Michaelharmon
Autarch (CM)
ShadowMaster
luis the young
scurrdi
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Which Fantasy Type Tournament do you want next?

Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_lcap8%Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_lcap23%Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 3 ]
Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_lcap23%Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 3 ]
Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_lcap46%Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 13

Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Empty Which type of Tournament would you prefer?

Post by scurrdi Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 am

So, we have the go ahead to do a tournament at the end of January.

I like to diversify the tournaments a little, just so that we don't used to 2250 all the time. As such, here are a few options of what I was thinking. I'd like to get everyone's input if possible.

Option 1: 1k Speed Match. 1 to 1 1/2 hour rounds, try to fit in a 4th round if it's possible at 1k points. The idea here is to have some fun, take some tactical skill with fewer troops, and hopefully see a lot more painted stuff on the board.

Option 2: 2k Doubles Match. Partner up with somebody and you each take 1000 points. Details would be to follow, but this has the potential (and usually is) a lot of fun. My only concern is if we have enough players to make it happen. If all 14 plus some show up, then were good.

Option 3: 1.5k Tournament, standard gig but smaller points.

Option 4: Another 2250 Tournament

What do you guys think?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Empty Re: Which type of Tournament would you prefer?

Post by luis the young Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:24 am

I like the 2250 points, teams can be fun, but run the risk of falling apart when someone doesnt show up.

i like the 1500 point option also, faster games means more games. The smaller the army the harder it is to make a good solid one, problem is some ahole cuban would prob show up with a VC army and raise 2000 points worth of crap in no time ...
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Which type of Tournament would you prefer? Empty Re: Which type of Tournament would you prefer?

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:08 pm

When you start removing Lords everything changes, so I don't really like to play below 2K.

I voted 2250

I'd like to play doubles, but with more than 2K per side.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:44 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:When you start removing Lords everything changes, so I don't really like to play below 2K.

I voted 2250

I'd like to play doubles, but with more than 2K per side.

This echoes exactly how I feel. Voted likewise.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:46 pm

I like the speed and challenge of a lower point game. I say keys mix it up and try a 1000
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Well, I always like seeing what happens when people DON'T have Lords to play around with. Don't get me wrong, I run them also, but I think it gets very interesting when your relying a lot on your troops since your characters aren't as tough.

But hey, we'll see how the polls play out.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Here are some other options that you might concider.

Escallation 1st 1500 2nd 2000 3rd 2250 must use what was in prv. rounds list add add extra points to the next rounds list.

De-escallation start at 2250 but what you lose each round does not come back. For those that had blood baths they play in the loser bracket with the 2250.

Or Teams is great if you can get the people for it. 1250 each member.

I really need to get down to Miami and play in some of these I had a great time at Ard Boyz, the sad thing that is the last time I have played a game.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Yeah, an escallation tournament in on the way, no worries Very Happy

Just not this month.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm a little bored of the regular 2250.

I think any of the other options would be preferable.

Dan, if you're gonna be running these things, I'd also really like for you to consider including composition in the scoring.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:56 pm

How is the scoring being done now if you do not mind me asking.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 pm

comp. isn't being scored because its a load of bull Mad
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:35 pm

The scoring is currently (and roughly) based on the following:

75 % Generalship
15 % Painting
10 % Sportsmanship

The last tournament didn't have these exact numbers, as I was trying a different scoring sheet for the Generalship. I'm willing to explore other possibilities such as army comp, but I'm going to look for a good way to judge that (perhaps just have the judge do it, or create a point system). When I also play in the tournaments, I don't award myself a painting score (since I judge the painting).

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:30 am

If you are playing in the games why can't someone else that is at the shop judge the painting and score that section so you do not screw yourself.

It is OK to come with the cheese lists and not get dinged at all fop them?

What kind of turn out do you normally have for the games and what time do the start and when do you get out of the store when all is done?

Sorry for all the questions.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:24 pm

The questions are ok. I'd suggest you go check out a couple of "Fantasy Tournament" threads in the "Find a Game" section, as they will answer some of your questions.

As of right now, there is nothing short of loss of player respect should you bring an 'ultimate cheese list.' People bring all sorts of strong lists, but I know that generally (if the list warrants it) there is a pretty big outrage about a certain list, and then the player doesn't bring it anymore. I've seriously considered a couple of times having a scenario where you switch armies with your opponent, so you can be on the receiving end of whatever you bring to the battlefield.

Turn out is sporadic. Last tournament we had 14, the one before that, 6. Were obviously hoping to keep it closer to 14 if possible.

We usually start at either 12 or 12:30. Last tournament got started late, next time I won't be waiting for people who are late. We try to finish by 7 or 8 pm, but that depends on quick people are getting back from the break (and myself getting everything organized in time).

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah - that 10:30pm arrival home got me some extra lashes from the warden. We need to start on-time.

Re: Cheese
The rule book and army book define what is legal when making a list. As long as you follow that, I have no problem with what anyone brings.

Unfortunately - the way GW staggers their rules out creates a power gap in certain matchups. I don't blame the other player for mistakes on the companies part.

Several players (myslef included) always bring very strong lists. You should feel free to do the same without guilt. While occationally frustrating (F*in' Dark Elves!), the games are still challenging and fun in the end.

LOVE THE SWAP YOUR ARMY SCENARIO IDEA!

How about we take it a step further and you need swap with someone to a new army (that you don't currently own) for the whole day. That way you can make your own list based off what is available and everyone gets to try a new army out.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:35 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:
LOVE THE SWAP YOUR ARMY SCENARIO IDEA!

How about we take it a step further and you need swap with someone to a new army (that you don't currently own) for the whole day. That way you can make your own list based off what is available and everyone gets to try a new army out.

It will give me a great excuse to bring an all goblin & snotling pump wagon list to a tourney. Razz
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm

That sounds like fun Bill, but can u imagine how long a game would take where you have to figure out how an army that you never play with works ? Smile

How bout make 3 lists, one at 1500 for first round, one at 2000 for second round and last one at 2500 for third round. Oh, i think this is the scalation thing someone mentioned before.

Everyone makes 3 lists and your oponent picks one at random each round ! lists have to be different with a different Lord choice in each .
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 pm

That's why you'd need to arrange and prep a bit ahead of time - so you can make your own list and have SOME SMALL idea of what your doing.

Example:
I agree to swap my Lizzies for your O&G
We swap army inventory lists - I list all of my 3500 points of lizzies, you list your 7K points of Greenskins.
We each play with Army Builder options to make a list
Then, let the other player know what to bring for you on tourney day.

Obviously, there is some trust that must occur here. We are mostly all friends and so I think the required mutual respect would be there.

The games are timed, so the question becomes how deep into the game rounds will you get in 2.5 hours.

Not next month - but maybe someday.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Army comp is a huge part of many tournaments. Most of the large tournaments in Europe and Australia have Army Comp.

It's the only way to make up for the power creep.

Dan, you can look into how some of those australian tournies to get some ideas.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:36 pm

the army swap thing is a good idea, but I'd leave that for friendly games and not a tournament- too many headaches.

It'd be nice to have a working comp system, so that Orc and Ogre armies have a better chance. Like Stephan said, the Aussies run only independent tournaments with pretty good comp systems.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 am

The issue lies at the core of the GW buisness model, which is built more around model sales and less around pleasing the game players.

The Privateer Press model is so much better since they can rebalance the whole game and all armies in a single publication.

Comp systems are adjustments to the current rules designed to achieve balance. The problem is they are also independent opinions which can still be broken and miniupulated. You don't really gain anything.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:05 am

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=58933

Here is a link to the ETC comp system - You'll notice they change more than just the rules on what you can bring in a list. They "adjust" quite a bit.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Noone is touching my models.

I already have enough scrapes on my hydra from peoples' tape measures as it is. I dont' need people dropping my shit too.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 pm

The Eldar Guy wrote:Noone is touching my models.

I already have enough scrapes on my hydra from peoples' tape measures as it is. I dont' need people dropping my shit too.

And hence the problem with the "swap armies" idea. It would be great, but if someone drops someone else stuff, or something else... Not good.

As for army comp, it's something to consider. I don't think I'd go as crazy as the Aussies do it. I personally would like to play a few tournaments at under 2000 pts, because I find that it levels the playing ground a lot, because your required to rely more on your troops ( I feel ) then your characters.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:01 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=58933

Here is a link to the ETC comp system - You'll notice they change more than just the rules on what you can bring in a list. They "adjust" quite a bit.

Bill, the ETC system is extremist - they're no longer playing Warhammer, really - and a bad example. Not to sound like a broken recorder, but the Aussies have been doing it for years with satisfying results.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next