The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are the new Skaven Army's doing

+9
luis the young
Matt1785
Dakai
jerryb
Ovich
scurrdi
Diosamblet
ShadowMaster
Garry
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How are the new Skaven Army's doing Empty How are the new Skaven Army's doing

Post by Garry Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:34 pm

I have been so out of touch with every thing for the last 3 month. Not even doing that much painting. Such a sad thing.

But how are the Skaven playing. The books looks great but have not had a chance to even play one game with it yet.
Rattling guns still good?
How about the new warmachine are they worth it?
Has any one done any convertions for the morter and other units they put out in the new book with out models avaliable

God I need to get back into a gaming.......
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

How are the new Skaven Army's doing Empty Re: How are the new Skaven Army's doing

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 pm

From what I've read - the combo of monks, the furnace, and PCBs is very nasty.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

How are the new Skaven Army's doing Empty Re: How are the new Skaven Army's doing

Post by Diosamblet Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:02 am

2 unbreakable units is pretty rough... that's what I had to face twice during the last tournament. But the furnace is T6 with no armour save, so next time I know it's a prime target for my skinks, and I should fare better!
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:07 pm

The dual combo is gross.

I think Skaven will be competitive, but not overly broken.

The Plague Furnace, while nasty, IS frenized, and can cause some serious problems because of that (if your opponent is savy enough).

In contrast, the ability to have a SECOND unbreakable unit (when combined with the Screaming Bell) makes for some very nasty potential.

So, I agree with my above conclusion. Competitive, but not overly broken. IMO at least.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 am

I think Magic heavy with two solid unbreakable units is going to be tough to beat. I'd go with the double Plague Furnace over the screaming bell. A lot of magic will handle pesky skirmishers that try to draw out frenzied units.

The grossest thing is the Plague censor bearers. A special choice I remind you , at 160 points for a unit of 10. 40 plague censor bearers for 640 points ? Yes please ! 1 unit can dish out 18-21 attacks at strength 5 if going 6 or 7 wide. Oh, and don't forget all those toughness tests. Worst part is that they become stubborn if within 12 inches of furnace and can use the ranks of the unit pushing for leadership mod . Can you say Flank Protection anyone ? Only question is whether they test for stubborn on the unmodified leadership, being that they are not using the rule regarding the generals leadership. Maybe that'll be in the FAQ.

Throw in a couple of hellpit abominations, and your good to go.

For sure they can be very nasty if you go the clan pestilens way.

Don't know if other builds are as viable.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 am

Only serious issue with the plague furnace is the lack of armor and/or ward save, which is kinda a draw-back to the entire clan-pestilence army.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Did they improve the Stormvermine?

The Bell was so wacky that I never had any interest in it. How has that been improved, if it at all?

Ratlin guns, can you hide them in a group of infantry like in the old system?

Did they make the tunneling better. I always felt it was unfair that Skaven suck at tunneling, they either get lost, the tunnel collapses or they fight each other. For me it was pointless to use this feature.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 am

Did they improve the Stormvermine?

The Bell was so wacky that I never had any interest in it. How has that been improved, if it at all?

Ratlin guns, can you hide them in a group of infantry like in the old system?

Did they make the tunneling better. I always felt it was unfair that Skaven suck at tunneling, they either get lost, the tunnel collapses or they fight each other. For me it was pointless to use this feature.

Storm Vermin are still not worth the points. WS 4 with either a ST.4 attack and 5+ armour or a strength 3 attack with 3+ armour. Big woop. Give me 2 more ranks of clan rats with a 4+ save for the same price. If you take Queek Headtaker, (who is a bad ass, but with no ward save) you can get a stormvermin squad that will hit on strength 5 I believe. But then their even more expensive.

The Bell makes the unit pushing it unbreakable, whereas before it was just Immune to Psychology. BIG difference. Other than than that, I think it's been toned down little bit in terms of the ringing. But you do get a big rat ogre that can help fight, which is nice. Not much else different.

Ratling guns can't hide in a unit, but if within 3 inches of parent unit they get a 4+ ward save I believe ? Which is nice. Problem is, the ratling gun was utterly nerfed (ala hellblaster volley gun), by having to roll for your hits now. and with BS 3.. you aint gonna be hitting shit.

Tunneling is a bit easier with the warp grinder, which is a tool you can buy that will allow you to re-roll the entry if something goes wrong. It's also a cc weapon that ignores armour saves.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:48 am

Only serious issue with the plague furnace is the lack of armor and/or ward save, which is kinda a draw-back to the entire clan-pestilence army.

Yeah, with Clan pestilence your trading armour for toughness. Which, , statistically get's better, the higher the strength of the attacker, as armour saves cease to help. Particularly against strength 5 attacks.

But the nasty thing about the plague furnace is that it's going to be a prolonged combat (due to unbreakable) and EVERY round of combat your taking a bunch of toughness tests and damage from the wrecker

Every other unbreakable unit in the game is either individual monsters like Spawn, small units of expensive infantry like Flaggelants or TrollSlayers, or a unit joined by a special character, like that Lizard man that makes temple guard unbreakable.

With the plague furnace, you're paying 115 points for the priest and 150 for the furnace, plus another 175+ for the plague monks pushing. So it's going to be at least a 435 point unit. But in the end you get a massive tarpit unit that can win through combat res unlike most other tarpit units. You just have to protect it's flanks and make sure the furnace itself doesnt' get killed by blow guns, cannons, rocklobbers, etc.

It will have problems against artillery heavy armies that can dish out damage that does D3 or more wounds for sure. That's why the storm banner is an auto selection. Even if it's one use only, which still hasn't been errataed.

BTW what was the ruling on the storm banner in the last tournament. Did Luis or Brandon take it ?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:02 pm

I think it is just been accepted as 1 use until GW says otherwise.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:54 am

Bill is correct, the ruling is 1 use only, since apparently every other language book says that, and ours doesn't.

Also, it makes sense, since it can now be taken with a unit instead of just the BSB.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakai Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:45 pm

does any one have a pyshical copy of said other books???
Dakai
Dakai
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt1785 Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:12 pm

I like the book. Skaven was the first book that I picked up and it's the first Army that I've played.

In all honesty, the only unit that is worth taking all the time is the Hell Pit Abomination. At its point cost I say it's darned near the best thing in the entire Army book. It's strength and toughness are great, lots of wounds, regeneration and it attacks the enemy like a mo-fo. Not to mention it's stubborn, so it's great for charging into the enemy to rock them, even large packs of said enemy.

I take a Screaming Bell but to be honest, I hate the things you roll for. Rolling 3 dice is generally not going to get you much of anything to be honest. Spells of Ruin suck IMHO while the Spells of Plague are seemingly the rock of the army. Most of the spells in Plague are great, IE Wither, Plague, Pestilent Breath, all great spells when you get them off. Plague is devastating to most books with low toughness. And in combo with Wither, eat your heart out. Smile

Overall I think it's a great book and is quite competitive. Being my first strike at Fantasy, I win just about half of the time and I'm a rookiee. Good army book, I look forward to the Beastmen book next week.

As an aside to the furnace? It's not that great without a save. The Bell gives itself and the Seer the 4+ ward save, IMHO it's a much better investment since the points are going to be monstrous. And both are Unbreakable. I push mine with 40 clanrats... the unit rocks just about everything it hits.

Matt1785
Cultist

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 pm

What model are you using for the Hell Pit abom ? And what base size ?
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt1785 Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm using 'The Thing in the Woods' from Mordheim and it's on a monster base, although when I'm finished with the conversion it will have to be on a larger base, probably something like the Stegaddon base. You know, trying to model it just like the one from the book itself, with the cart and then the massive thing growing out of it.

Matt1785
Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel_Cesar Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Hey matt! Cesar here from the 40k tourney (Relictors Player) Glad to you and your bud joined the forums. Feel free to troll,post and flame whenever you feel the need. heh Hope to see you @ one of our 40k tourneys one of these days. Anyways take it ez.

--Cesar

DarkAngel_Cesar
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 512
Armies : Ravenwing and Dark Angels 3rd company
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Welcome to the fantasy forum!!!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:26 pm

So it seems the Bell is still not that great.

I always wanted to get the doom wheel, but I felt it would be pointless as it was not in the "official" rules, in otherwords you would have to ask permission to play it. I am glad to see they have included in the updated version.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt1785 Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Yeah, the Bell is not so hot. Making a unit unbreakable that isn't good in close combat isn't so hot since you will just get widdled down quickly. And ringing the bell doesn't work so great because most rolls are useless. The 1 in a million time you get a 13 it's doubtful you'll be in CC. Smile

The Doomwheel is great, it's quick, it shoots and hits hard. Don't count on it to win your battles in CC though with strength 2 attacks, if you don't do so hot on impact you're looking at losing the combat. Hit in the flanks.

Anyone else heard the nonesense in the UK stating that Warlord on War Little counts as US 5? They're saying even when he joins a unit he can be picked out by shooting. What a pile of garbage.

Matt1785
Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:38 pm

1 wound models turn him into standard calvary, so Warlord on a Great Pox rat, he is US2

Monster mounts, you take the monster US and add 1 for the hero, so on a Bonebreaker Rat - he is US5

Depends what a War Litter is and how many wounds it has. Army builder is not clear on this.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:26 pm

the plague furnace is much better than the bell IMHO, but then again it doesn't have a 4+ ward and is frenzied.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:33 pm

the bell got toned down a lot, its powers are not as strong as before and it doesnt give 2 power dice to the seer anymore. This was comopensated by granting Unbreakble and the 4+ ward to the seer.

I think the way to go now is Clan pestilence with some moulder support, Lord Skrol with plague monks as troops, couple of furnaces, 2 abom and specials full of plaguee sencer bearers is Ugly.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:03 pm

The new rules for the bell go against GW standard marketing practice.

GW should have given crazy cheesy powers to the bell, and then given a equal crazy price and sell a ga-zillion of them to the dumb Americans.

May be there are confused by their greed they have not yet realize the error. I am sure they will come around.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:43 pm

If that was really their strategy, they have been failing at it for over a decade. New plastic kits have not equated awesome in game.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Kyle, buddy, you have finally realize and admitted that GW has been failing for the last ten years!

Welcome to reality! Very Happy

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next