The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready!

3 posters

Go down

Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready! Empty Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready!

Post by Vycem Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Since there's no subforum, I figure I'd go to general.

So I've been trying to get into Legends of the High Seas since around Xmas when I ordered my ship...and it finally arrived this week! I also got the figs for my crew.

Now my question is, what do you recommend for starters? I'm not sure what's good and what's not. I'm going to go with a Privateer crew. I'm thinking I should max out heroes from the get go and get as many henchmen as I can afford after that?

For Archetype, I'm torn between Lucky and Courageous. Lucky so it will help me catch up a bit better since I'm starting late, courageous to mitigate the Privateer weakness. What are experience players' thoughts?

From the starting equipment, how useful are boats (the small ones you can have in your ship)? How much of a role do they play in the game?

What about hired hands, should I stay away from them in the beginning or get some to even the playing field since I'm starting late?

Thanks for the help guys,
Endre

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready! Empty Re: Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready!

Post by Frantic Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:36 pm

I would go with maybe 2 heroes to start out. The only real advantage of taking more than two is more rolls for rare items later. One of the big advantages of Privateer crews is they have great musketeers...so I would max out on mercs and give them all muskets and swords or hand weapons. That will give you 5 4+ musket shots which will help greatly when your starting out. Fill in the rest with mariners with swords (so you can parry and hold off larger forces) and boarding pikes for support. Its probably best to get hired hands later on but if you want to get one I would recommend a master gunner or navigator. Lucky is a really useful ability but you do have a point on the courage thing. I think lucky would be best. as long as your captain lives you will probably not have to worry to much about courage tests and if you roll badly you can always use fame and/or lucky to re-roll. Boats are a good thing to have. Some ships are really powerfull and if they get really lucky it is possible for them to down u in one salvo. If you have a boat you can save a good amount of crew. If you don't have a boat you have to roll for every member to see if they drown.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready! Empty Re: Questions for the Legends of the High Seas players - getting my crew ready!

Post by Vycem Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks, this info is gold! Now I can plan out my crew better

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm

NP Smile We will be seeing you Tuesday then ?
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Oh, you might want to check out the yahoo group also. Some good stuff there.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/LotHighSeas/
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Cheating works best for me.

I replace killed or wounded figures, use loaded dice, change stats and such stuff.

com' on I'm a Pyrate!

Jerryb
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 pm

I need some time to actually put all this stuff together...I'm aiming for next week!

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down