The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40k MMO Video

+4
Garm
ShadowMaster
Kyle
jspyd3rx
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

40k MMO Video Empty 40k MMO Video

Post by jspyd3rx Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Now Joel will have to get gaming pc's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZd4pNXlRxY
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

40k MMO Video Empty Re: 40k MMO Video

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm

I'll wait till they give gameplay details, because as a MMO, 40K sounds stupid.

Unless it's something like Planetside where it's giant constant war going on with big battles all over, don't see how this will make much sense.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Most of that was game play video. Looks like bikes could be fun.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Yes, but how the game plays or it's set up is not explained in the video. Not going to make much sense to be a solo marine walking around a world doing menial tasks for example. Hopefully the game is more like an interactive war.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Planetside was a 40k MMO
That game rocked at launch, it just got stale after a couple of months. Then they trashed it with a quick expansion and the BFRs.

With the TOTAL FAIL of the Warhammer fantasy MMO, I don't see anyone stepping up to actually develop and publish this idea.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Warhammer MMO is actually very profitable for EA according to their last financials. It wasn't a huge hit but it's got enough player base paying monthly fees. They cut the dev studio down but even with only around 300k they are doing quite well.

Lot of MMO's succeed without achieving world of warcraft numbers. The devs of this already have stated they are aiming for a modest subber base.

And THQ is publishing this already
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Yep, fantasy was a win for them. This game is coming out as well.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Garm Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:14 pm

If that game lets me own and pilot my own Deffkopta or Trukk I might seriously have to consider it. ._.
Garm
Garm
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 137
Armies : 40k: Orks, Dark Eldar - Fantasy: Beastmen
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Deffkpta of sexines. Gameplay looks LOTS like WAR.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:54 pm

All MMO's have similar general interface, but can't really tell actual gameplay from what little is shown. The game is supposedly going to be on the show floor or at least more shown at E3 so hopefully some insights in what kind of game it will be. This is not the same devs or publisher as WAR
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey! You can fly a Deffkopta or stomp around in a titan. What more do you want?

In the Grimdark future there is only Squish!

http://www.gameslave.co.uk/picstore/Warhammer-40000-Dark-Millenium-Online/dmo_ss_4.jpg
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Bet you can't actually control the titan. The smaller vehicles look like they can be controlled or at least ridden.

Hope you can be a Khorne Berserker and have a /dance emote
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Hope you can be a Khorne Berserker and have a /dance emote

nice!
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Looks like its about 5 years old.

3rd person shooting aspect is interesting.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Warhammer fantasy is a huge fail. It has nothing to do with WoW.

They failed to meet the success of DAoC (Mythic's first title) by a large margin. It will never have the potential subscriber base that was there for the taking and the longevity is seriously limited. I don't see WAR running more than another year. Nobody is playing it.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:51 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:Warhammer fantasy is a huge fail. It has nothing to do with WoW.

They failed to meet the success of DAoC (Mythic's first title) by a large margin. It will never have the potential subscriber base that was there for the taking and the longevity is seriously limited. I don't see WAR running more than another year. Nobody is playing it.

DAOC came out a long long time ago too, before games like WoW and early EQ days. Even then DAOC was never a monster success or anything but was well received game for what it did. The longevity of WAR is no doubt in question though the supposed expansion rumors could give it a bit of extended life. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to go with the free online model eventually that DDO and now Lord of the Rings Online are taking to try to rejuvinate it in the near future.

The game still has around 300k subbers according to EA so it does have a decent player base and again, it's making lot of money at the moment especially since they cut the funding and size of Mythic. Highest DOAC had was 250k and is less than 50k currently. Course it does show failure of WAR as it had 800k at one point and sold over 1 million copies. The budget and marketing of WAR is definitely a major factor, though I would imagine they made their money at least, though Mythic pretty much was ruined by it, while EA just reaps any benefits.

It no doubt not the level of success they originally hopped for, EA hyped it to high hell like it was going to be massive.

I would argue that WoW was a contributing factor in the games demise, as Lich King came out a few months later. Guild I was in at the time had our regular prime time player base numbers drop by 75% as soon as that launched. My big problem with the game that had me quit was lack of new content and the game ran like ass even on a high end machine. The whole pvp focus also was a dooming factor, while people like pvp, your not going to get big success from a game that focuses purely on it.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 pm

$60.00 bucks for one month of play I think would be worth it. Though a smart gamer would wait at least a week or two after launch for inevitable hiccups to be fixed. If I am not flying or wheeling around on some kool bike with other like minded ork players, then I probably wouldn't stick with it.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm

A good player will play in beta and get the game the minute they hit the shelves to get a leg up. Wink
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm

I don't think you can rate the success of an MMO on peak subscriber base, but rather on extended subscriber base.

DAoC did not get high peak numbers, but it ran successfully for many years. They had 4K active last night on their lone remaining cluster. It's a fun game and that is what counts most.

WAR struggled right out of the gate. It was buggy and imbalanced and Mythic ran it like a blind man. Everything learned from DAoC was suddenly ignored and it was back to the same old crap. That pissed off everyone.

They may still have some players (recent Euro and Asian launches), but the game is a shell of what it could have been. there is no way they made up the cost of their 3 years of development, despite what the quaterly sheet shows (hidden in an aqusition loss or something).
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Pretty much in line with every MMO of recent. Very little true success in the MMO department anymore with most having to cut teams, support, servers, etc to keep profit coming in. Some games deemed "failures" have actually not been so. If WAR recuperates it's initial investment or not will be hard to see, do not know if this includes the cost of all those years lost when the original Warhammer Online game went belly up before Mythic came in and did their own thing.

I don't think they will give up on the game just yet though either, though if they don't do something they will lose what remains of their player base, as they have really not added anything to the game in almost a year, though there is rumor that they are going to release a full game expansion which seems surprising, though Age of Conan recently released one as well and that game has had harder time than WAR has.

There is also the trend of trying to give players more incentive to play like not having to buy software anymore, or the free to play model. Dungeons and Dragons Online was a huge failure whose free to play model has done wonders for it.

It's a pity as WAR has greatly improved since launch, but 2 years too late. The game as it is now is how it should have been at launch, course with MMO's, they never work right when launched. And players seem much more picky of their games now than in the past, as a new MMO is just around the corner every month.

For now I'm sticking with EVE and occasional jump on free DDO until Old Republic comes out. If WAR or Conan go free I'll definitely give those a try again, but not gonna pay monthly for any of those now.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:42 am

I wonder how many players the old EQ has now. That was my best game ever, played it for like 5 years hardcore, almost cost me the marriage. No game has ever been able to draw me in as much as EQ did. I was part of a HIgh end guild and we had the power to do all the big raids in the game, it was cool cause we started small and with good players were able to climb our way to the top,
GO FORZAKEN!!
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 am

UO was a favorite of mine, the pure freedom in that game was great.... it was also the worst part of it.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 am

I hated UO, there i was minding my own business killing liches and a group of aholes riding naked on horses comes along, blast me to hell and steal all my hard earned gear and loot. Sad

My first MMO ever was Merydian 59, or 69 ? i think it was one of the first 3d MMOs, and of coruser, good ol AOL Neverwinter Nights.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:34 am

luis the young wrote:I wonder how many players the old EQ has now. That was my best game ever, played it for like 5 years hardcore, almost cost me the marriage. No game has ever been able to draw me in as much as EQ did. I was part of a HIgh end guild and we had the power to do all the big raids in the game, it was cool cause we started small and with good players were able to climb our way to the top,
GO FORZAKEN!!

About 100k~ subscribers. Significantly less than that active. Its really difficult to tell. People say <500 at any given time on any server.

It was the same for me man. Albeit for 3 years. Wizard, chanter, bard, cleric...

Somehow though I managed to get more sucked into FFXI for 6 years... Prob because FFXI released when I was a freshman in high-school and the 5 other RL friends I had that were hardcore as well.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:39 pm

I had one of the few Dark Elf Warriors in the server Smile

Good times, good times.

Never tried FFXI, i always thought it was a game that was dominated mainly by asians and it was mega hard to find a group.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next