The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of trying something new:

5 posters

Go down

Thinking of trying something new: Empty Thinking of trying something new:

Post by Autarch (CM) Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:43 pm

I got the Dogs & Devils book and I'm really keen on trying out an American force to play something a bit different from my German Light Tank list.

I like the rules and background for The Devil's Brigade and figured I'd work up a list for it.

What do you folks think? The list should be pretty sturdy on the defense and I'd always opt to attack against rival infantry companies given the strength of the FDC.

The Devil's Brigade

Company HQ - 20
2 Bazooka Teams +20

Special Service Force Platoon - 2 Sections - 220
Command Pioneer SMG Team
Bazooka Team +20
M2 60mm mortar +25

Command Pioneer SMG Team
Bazooka Team +20
M2 60mm mortar +25

Command Pioneer SMG Team
Bazooka Team +20
M2 60mm mortar +25

463rd Parachute Field Artillery Battery - 2 Sections - 215

Field Artillery Battery - 2 155mm Gun Sections - 280
Fire Direction Center +50

Heavy Anti-Aircraft Artillery Platoon - 2 Sections - 160
Extra Crew +20

Auster AOP +25

Priority Air Support - P-40 Warhawk - 160
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Thinking of trying something new: Empty Re: Thinking of trying something new:

Post by rokassan Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Are they trained or veteran? I'm a stickler for veteran units. Trained get hit too easily and have 4+ skill checks. For me its only acceptable for the Commies. It is a cool list though. They did get beat down by HG Panzer troops in real life. I think that's why their trained...because of the losses.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:54 pm

rokassan wrote:Are they trained or veteran? I'm a stickler for veteran units. Trained get hit too easily and have 4+ skill checks. For me its only acceptable for the Commies. It is a cool list though. They did get beat down by HG Panzer troops in real life. I think that's why their trained...because of the losses.

Aye, Fearless Trained, book indicated a 27:1 kill ratio. 77% casualties for them.

Still, it's a change of pace for me: Trained can't be that bad. I've got enough Veteran infantry stands with the Germans to satisfy that type of game-play.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:05 pm

True. Its a cool list. You cant go wrong.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:46 pm

REAL MEN USE CONCRIPTS !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Holy shit! You read my mind. I came up with this list a few weeks back and have been building it slowly:

HQ+ 2 Bazookas= 60

Full SSF Platoons w/ Bazooka and Mortar= 265
3 of the above = 795
1 section armored recon=140
Full 463 para field arty= 215
Full Heavy anti-air arty platoon= 180
Priority Warhawks= 160
AOP= 25

I still have around 175 points left and am thinking of adding 1) Full chemical mortars, 2) another 105mm howitzer battery, 3) SSF Cannon Platoon, 4) any other suggestions.
The original list I wrote had rangers in it, but I felt it was too much infantry. Any thoughts?
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 pm

KingdomCome wrote:Holy shit! You read my mind. I came up with this list a few weeks back and have been building it slowly:

I still have around 175 points left and am thinking of adding 1) Full chemical mortars, 2) another 105mm howitzer battery, 3) SSF Cannon Platoon, 4) any other suggestions.
The original list I wrote had rangers in it, but I felt it was too much infantry. Any thoughts?

Dan pointed out something: The 2iC can take the mortars from the combat platoons and make an extra mortar platoon. So, there's the option for another template there already. Maybe that will influence what -else- you would take, knowing you can have an extra template for smoke/bombardment.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:40 pm

My first day of vacation and ive almost finished 3 stugs,3 brummbars,2 jagdpanzer IV's ,a Jagdpanther ,4 Panzershreck teams and an observer team. Great vacation. Very Happy
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah I had read that bit. My original list ( w/ Rangers) had 8 platoons. 7 on paper and the 8th being the 2ic with upgraded 81mm mortars. I like the FSSF as an attacking force, but I'm not too keen on the FDC with them though. I guess it would be the intelligent way to go about using them as attackers, but the points to get it going are kinda "meh." I was leaning to the chemical mortars for extra cheap templates versus infantry and letting the howitzers work on anything heavier. 81mm mortars for smoke every turn. Though there would be enough ability to smoke to make the infantry invisible for a long time. I'll keep churning it over.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 am

As I have been playing the FSSF for a bit now, I can tell you a couple of things.

1. They are fantastic at attacking and assault. They hit on 2+ and our pioneer teams, so pretty much everything dies around them. They also reroll motivation for pinned down, oh, and they move like Rangers.

2. They need to attack. They're only 8 stands of trained infantry, even dug-in in prepared positions they will get chewed up by AT fire from tanks. It's a HUGE point sink and I don't know why FOW didn't make them Always Attacker, but if they defend it's actually a much harder battle to fight.

3. Flamethrowers rock.

Here's my 1750 List, for your enjoyment:

FSSF 1750:

CO

3 Full FSSF Platoons w/ Mortar & Bazookas

Full 105 Battery (Regular)

Full 155 Battery (FDC added on)

4 Stuart Tanks

AOP

Limited Air Support

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 am

Dan. I. Hate. You. You just confirmed the NEED of the FDC for the FSSF. I was fighting it like hell, but I'll listen to the voice of experience. I don't hate you btw, I hate the fact I muddled away for an hour fixing my list. My new list is called: "In for a penny, in for a pound."

FSSF 1745
HQ

3 Full FSSF Platoons w/ Mortars & BAzookas

Full 463 FAB

Full 105 battery

Full 155 battery w/ FDC & M5 tractors

AOP

Priority Warhawks

This is either going to work great, or it's going to belly flop. I actually find the idea of all that artillery funny. Once again Dan.... (shakes fist)
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:29 am

We're building the same list give or take (obviously, given the list's required elements)... But why are we picking the particular elements we have over others?

Neither one of you two (Scurrdi/KingdomCome) took any of the Heavy AT options that double as artillery? Really, I'm just trying to validate taking the 90mm guns.

You guys feel that the 155's are adequate enough for that task? At least with the 90mm guns participating in a bombardment with the 155's the template widens... you can catch an extra tank in the blast like that considering the command range of trained/veteran tank crews.
Autarch (CM)
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:41 pm

In the "mustering field", I posted my original list that included the 90mm heavy AA. Trust me, I really want the heavy AA as well, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided to pack more arty. I'm probably going to get the heavy aa just to have and swap between lists.

Edit: Besides, I already have the para arty and the regular FAB!!!!! I would still need to get the 155FAB and the kick ass new FDC model being released. Might as well use what I got , no?
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down