The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about a new FOW army

4 posters

Go down

Which army?

Thinking about a new FOW army Vote_lcap40%Thinking about a new FOW army Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
Thinking about a new FOW army Vote_lcap60%Thinking about a new FOW army Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 5

Thinking about a new FOW army Empty Thinking about a new FOW army

Post by scurrdi Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Well, I've been thinking about FOW a bit recently and decided that though I'm going to keep playing my Americans, I need something a little more portable for if I choose to fly/travel to go play some FOW other places (which I hope/plan to do).

As such, and since I like infantry over a whole tank force, I've gone the rout of Elite Light Infantry. Combine this with wanting a new army and not wanting to go Axis, and I've settled on the British.

Now the situation is before me. Which of these two do I choose?

British Paratroopers / Airlanding Platoon

OR

British Commandos

Both are pretty awesome light infantry and I like both alot. I'm now curious to see what everyone else thinks and would suggest?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Thinking about a new FOW army Empty Re: Thinking about a new FOW army

Post by rokassan Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Para's
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valhalla114 Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Sorry to jack your thread.

I want something portable, being as I'm going to be in and out of Miami. I know also that FOW is smaller and a full army fits in a relatively small case or bag. I want to try Germans mid-late war. But I dont know army sizes/costs or even basic rules.
Valhalla114
Valhalla114
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 465
Armies : Guard, Sisers, =][=, Blood Angels.
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:33 am

Its ok to Jack it, hopefully people will still respond.

To answer your question and knowing your love of tanks Alfred, it sounds you might want to consider one of two following options.

Option A: You play a German Panzer company. With the majority of your force being tanks you'll have a very small army to work with, but they'll have some hitting power. You can take like a mechanized infantry platoon to support them and you'll be pretty good to go.

Option B: You play a Panzergrenadier platoon, which is effectively a mechanized German infantry army. Still lots of potential for tanks but they aren't the main focus.

Small, but fast and powerful are the names of the game your thinking about I feel like. What you'll need to do is get a copy of either the Ostfront or the Afrika book and plan from there.

Hope that helps!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 pm

Dan, para's

Alfred, I think a German Panzer Company would be up your alley. You could support them with a platoon of infantry or combat engineers. If you go with the 2 SS Division from the cobra book you could support them with german paratroopers. I would recomend the Fortress Europe book. All of BF's new stuff is late war and most of the tournaments you find will be in that format.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Valhalla114 Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I seem to have gotten some offers for the Grey Knights I put on bartertown by people with Panzers IV's, Panzergrenadiers and misc infantry. We'll see how it goes. Might buy a Tiger I to trot about.
Valhalla114
Valhalla114
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 465
Armies : Guard, Sisers, =][=, Blood Angels.
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Stug G's and Panthers are cool too.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, Panzers are a good choice Alfred.

As for my situation, I'm not too sure still, cause the Commandos are pretty nasty. I mean they've got that bombardment thing which is pretty nasty...

But I dunno, why do you guys say Paras? I don't have D-1, hoping to get it soon (might call and ask Joel to send to me). Whats good about them that makes them better then Commandos?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 pm

I don't have the book either. But everytime I hear british paratroopers, I think of the movie A Bridge to Far. When they dropped into Arnhiem on that panzer division. Tough guys
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Yeah, just watched some clips, they are pretty tough, and they've got some nasty abilities with Gammon Bombs.

Of course, I can't figure out how on earth I'd do that camo-scheme.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 pm

They have good support choices. Also they have the tetriarc tank. When you do a para specific mission you can field them. You have tank support. Plus you can slug it out para to para with Erics Hun.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 pm

I have the book. Ill post some info tomorrow.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Cool! Thanks Bill!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down