The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storm Banner

5 posters

Go down

Storm Banner Empty Storm Banner

Post by Warlord Solskritt Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Hey guys! Just wanted to know what you guys think of the Storm Banner. Is it cheesy? I think it's not but I want your opinion. Thanks in advance for the replies! Very Happy
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Storm Banner Empty Re: Storm Banner

Post by lordfairfax2001 Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:17 pm

It's all in the eye of the beholder...when playing against Chaos army without flying daemons...nope, against Brets, most likely not (especially if they have the "multiple lances of death list"), against Dwarfs, or Empire with a gunline of death, or High/Dark/Wood Elves who will either be using Repeater/Reaper Bolt Throwers, or have tons of Glade Guard archers, yes...it's a low point item that you can have go off without any chance of blocking it and your opponent has to hope and pray that you roll a 1 or 2 at the beginning of one of the turns (yours or his).

The thing is...it affects both armies equally, so hurs you as much as it hurts your opponent. I would go with no, but I'm a far more laid back player then most when it comes to list cheese (I am a High Elf after all!!!)
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 739
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Well.. It's a 70 point item, so you have to use up a hero spot for a BSB, when skaven have much better options.

If you don't take the screaming bell, then the block that fields it will not be Immune to Psych. which means, -2 or not, it'll be targeted by everything the enemy has, including magic.

So like any pricey banner there are benefits and risks..
I'd say in a 2000 pt game, you'd be taking more of a risk, so No I wouldn't consider it cheezy.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu May 01, 2008 1:55 am

I mean, it sounds very nasty. However, I think it's pretty balanced in that you get a 33% chance each turn it just goes away. I mean, if it lasts 1 whooping turn then is it worth the 70 pts?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Thu May 01, 2008 1:58 pm

its pretty cool, but it can fizzle out upon first use and against many armies its like W/e. I think It's worth it for an insurance policy because shooty armies dominate.
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1255
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)

http://www.40KWreckingCrew.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Thu May 01, 2008 2:13 pm

I think High Elves need something like this...even GW said that the best way to beat High Elves is to shoot them to death before they can get into HTH with your units. This will help them with that! Twisted Evil
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Thu May 01, 2008 2:16 pm

ummmm yeah that would be just dumb....
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1255
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)

http://www.40KWreckingCrew.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Thu May 01, 2008 2:19 pm

ImAShakiraholic wrote:ummmm yeah that would be just dumb....
More or less so then an ENTIRE army with ASF!!! Anyway, not to thread hijack...just was thinking it would be interesting...

Anyway, Storm Banner can be great, then it can fizzle out in the first turn...too bad it doesn't kill the BSB when it fizzles out...now that would be very Skaven-like!
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Lol I can already imagine it Very Happy As the banner fizzles out a lightning bolt comes out of nowhere and fries the BSB Laughing
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu May 01, 2008 10:11 pm

I think It's worth it for an insurance policy because shooty armies dominate.

Not really Max. Last GT the top 2 armies were Demon armies, little shooting except maybe magic. Vampire Counts have always done well too with little shooting. Brettonians are also always tough and have little shooting..
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri May 02, 2008 2:16 am

It's not shooting doesn't hurt though, Empire player Very Happy

Non-shooting armies benefit from the lack that if your not a shooty unit, your a close-combat (in the basic concept) so more CC units means that even if some units take the punishment and get wiped, you've still got plenty more.

Most shooty units can't hold their ground when it comes to CC.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down