The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for help picking LW Soviet army

+2
jhope
Abaddon
6 posters

Go down

Looking for help picking LW Soviet army Empty Looking for help picking LW Soviet army

Post by Abaddon Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:57 am

Hi guys. I have been out of the game for quite some time now and recently wanted to get back into the game. I am looking for a LW Soviet army that does not require 30 bizzilion guys to paint.

Any advice on what army lists would be competitive would be appreciated. Also what books would I find them in since when I last played there was only Ostfront and North Africa in softcover. Oh, the good old days.

Again, thanks for the help.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Looking for help picking LW Soviet army Empty Re: Looking for help picking LW Soviet army

Post by jhope Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 am

I recently started playing soviets and I went with all tanks. It wins, but you need to be very aggressive. If you use a lot of heavy tanks and assault guns, it will eat a bunch of points and reduce the painting.

I used the basic list from Fortress Europe. Great book that covers all the basic armies for the major powers.

What type of army are you looking to play?

jhope
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 294
Armies : British, German & Soviet armies
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Looking for help picking LW Soviet army Empty Re: Looking for help picking LW Soviet army

Post by KingdomCome Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 am

If you're not interested in running many peeps, a tank horde is the way to go. 20 tanks of your choice , sprinkle in whatever support choice is available after those points are spent, and away you go... Almost all ( if not all the) the soviet books have an option in tank armies. Just depends on the tanks you want to use. T34-85, shermans, 76mm shermans, assault guns ( 122, 152), and even a horde of t70 ( baby tanks) if you're interested. You'll do the truffle shuffle on most noobs with those armies, but certain armies and missions will give you trouble.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:40 am

I was thinks of some troops with tanks and maybe arty and/or anti tank guns. Maybe a guard army since there are less infantry to paint.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:33 pm

That's even easier. 20 tanks, a full unit of tank riders for one unit, and sprinkle in some rockets.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Guards heavy Tank Company or Motorized Artillery regiment. Check them out. Good balance of armor and troops. All fearless Trained.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 am

Bill, what books are those 2 armies in?
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:42 pm

So i looked at the Battlefront website and there seem to be 30 million books for LW Soviets. Do any of the books repeat army list from other books or do i need to buy them all to see the lists?
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:46 pm

The lists have generally the same support options, but the core changes around a bit. Another option for you would be to take a look at the free briefings (army lists) on the battle front website. They are actually good and very playable armies. I use at least 2 free pdf's as armies ; the free French and the soviet is-85 company. Both are fun, flavored, and lethal.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 pm

River of Heros.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Javy,

I have a late war Tankovy battalion and am now starting a Motostrelkovy Batallion. I'm learning, that without some infantry, Tank Companies can get screwed when they face an infantry company with lots of anti tank or superior heavy tanks like the Panther. But it is definitely less to paint if you are going all tank.

Might I recommend a fella that I use that sells resin tank models for $4 a tank. They are light and fragile (if one falls from the table to a hard floor, forget it, it's toast), but the detail is good enough, and you can add some weight to them by just gluing some lead weight to the undercarriage before priming.

Ask Bill and Eric about how they look, I think they came out pretty good and it's hard to tell the difference between them and battle front. Let me know if you want the email.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I was thinking of having some sappers and some infantry. As well as some arti and anti-tank guns maybe in the form of ISU's.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Ovich wrote:Javy,

I have a late war Tankovy battalion and am now starting a Motostrelkovy Batallion. I'm learning, that without some infantry, Tank Companies can get screwed when they face an infantry company with lots of anti tank or superior heavy tanks like the Panther. But it is definitely less to paint if you are going all tank.

Might I recommend a fella that I use that sells resin tank models for $4 a tank. They are light and fragile (if one falls from the table to a hard floor, forget it, it's toast), but the detail is good enough, and you can add some weight to them by just gluing some lead weight to the undercarriage before priming.

Ask Bill and Eric about how they look, I think they came out pretty good and it's hard to tell the difference between them and battle front. Let me know if you want the email.

Ya... those tanks look great. On a side note.. does he make any other Soviet tanks? Regardless I want a. Few t34/85s. Think you can pm me your friends contact info?
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Guy has his own Website now,

If you buy something, please tell him Stephan Chiarini sent ya. He may give me some free shit for sending business his way. Anyone interested in vehicles at all should look at this dude's site. He's got TONS of shit, including early war stuff for French, German, English... etc. If you want to see or feel them, I'll let you know the next time I plan on going to the store.

www.gamodls.com

Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down