The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dipping???

+7
scurrdi
ImAShakiraholic
luis the young
Ovich
Hurricane
Diosamblet
Warlord Solskritt
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dipping??? Empty Dipping???

Post by Warlord Solskritt Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:07 pm

Anyone tried dipping? I'm thinking of using it to get my 300+ skaven models done. Thanks in advance for the replies!
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Dipping??? Empty Re: Dipping???

Post by Diosamblet Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:49 am

HERESY! Thou shalt painstakingly paint each and every miniature! Er.. no, I haven't tried out dipping.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am

Our new member Calladusx3 did some dipping on his FoW miniatures. Not sure if that is the same thing you are talking about. Send him a PM or hopefully he will see this thread.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Dipping is great for alot of rank and file especially in fantasy. Things like skellies, beastmen, chaos warriors that all have the same armour... you know... you can always add extra detail after the dipping...

Don't expect a lot of oohs and aaahs though from people looking at your army.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Ovich wrote:Dipping is great for alot of rank and file especially in fantasy. Things like skellies, beastmen, chaos warriors that all have the same armour... you know... you can always add extra detail after the dipping...

Don't expect a lot of oohs and aaahs though from people looking at your army.

I can 100% guarantee you that i will NOT be expecting any Ooohhs.. or aaaahs when people look at my army, most of the time they just wonder how the heck does he keeps them together ??

so how can i do this dipping thing ? im getting lots of tomb kings and want to know how to paint them
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Well, I'm gonna get a can of wood stain and try it out! I just can't face the prospect of painting so many guys the normal way

@Luis, you go buy a can of wood stain,undercoat your skellies all in white, basecoat any armor and blades, and dip! Soon you will have an all-painted army!
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Just picked up a quart of Minwax American Walnut wood stain and I'm gonna go test it out! I'll see if I can post pics of the models when I'm done!

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Edit again: Here's the pic! It's pretty dark but it looks alot brighter in real lifeDipping??? Th_IMG_0665
it's not a good pic but whatever. The guy took 5 minutes to basecoat and then i just dipped him and removed the excess, I think it's an ok standard for rank and file.I'm gonna try to get 20 more done tonight!

Edit once more: I did it!!! I finished painting/dipping 20 Confederats! Very Happy I gotta say, 20 above-average looking guys in 4 hours is pretty good!
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:34 pm

yeah they look good!
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1255
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)

http://www.40KWreckingCrew.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 pm

JC
I looked at your dipped plague monks last time I saw you and have to admit that they look great...

I might have to try the process out on my skellies.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:53 am

Hmm... I may try this for some of my Kislev guys, I'll need to see what colors come available. This seems rather useful especially for those of us (like me) who aren't the best at painting.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 pm

I wasn't happy with how my Tzeentch Champ turned out and so I decided to dip him before I went the repaint route and he turned out so good I dipped my Lord in too.

Amazing how it makes all the detail stand out in just seconds of work.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu May 15, 2008 12:52 pm

What are you dipping them in. Whats the procedure to this.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 pm

I just mounted 20 metal Bloodletters on their bases. Those fuckers are dangerous...they have all kinds of sharp points on them. I was poking my fingers trying to mount them.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm

I got the process from JC, but here is a Step by Step with pics (you may need to register):

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126&forumid=53&postid=105165&view=topic
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Thu May 15, 2008 1:15 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:I got the process from JC, but here is a Step by Step with pics (you may need to register):

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126&forumid=53&postid=105165&view=topic
Yup...just tried the link and it says you have to register to see the post.

Dipping is a great method...Many people paint the first row of their unit very well (as in not dipped and spend a lot of time on each model), then dip all backrow models, which is a great way to make your army look really good without painting each rank and file as though it were a Golden Daemon entry. Most of the time people only see your front rank anyway -- a trick recommended by the GW 'Eavy Metal team, by the way.
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 739
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon May 19, 2008 2:52 pm

My first dip of my Tzeentch Champ came out good

My 2nd dip of the Lord on Disc went a bit too far and his blue cloak is now black - but he look alright.

My 3rd dip was on the Nurgle Champ I won at the 'Ard Boys. 30 minutes from Blister opening to complete (still need base details) and he came out awesome! One key was I painted him lighter colors pre dip. Another was I let the dip dry for about 15 minutes and then I came back and cleaned up the 'puddles' with a q-tip. For 15 minutes of painting, I could not be happier. I'll post a pic when I have a chance.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Mon May 19, 2008 4:23 pm

yeah dipping is great I'll post pics of some of my Deathwing that I used dip on, but yea sometimes dip is too dark... looking for a nice light colour thats not too flashy...
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Mon May 19, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm glad that people are dipping! It's a fast way to paint lots of troops or nurgle guys. Soon we'll all be playing with painted armies(gasp! Shocked )
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon May 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Here is a pic - not bad for 15 minutes of glue/putty and 15 minutes of painting:

Dipping??? Nurgle10
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon May 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Shine some light on that sucker.. I can't see him .
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue May 20, 2008 12:31 am

Agreed with the light thing, but I can see how the dipping helped you out so much. He looks battlefield quality. Ain't gonna win the Golden Deamon, but on the field (and here for that matter) he looks pretty darn sexy.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue May 20, 2008 10:21 am

Gotta work on me photo graphy skillz
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Tue May 20, 2008 3:49 pm

qsl
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Forcefed24 Tue May 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Post whore alert Max....

So, you have probably already covered this JC. But essentially what you are doing with dipping is giving the figure a primer coat, then a base coat of all of the primary colors (I.E. brown for the leather pouches, boltgun metal for the armor, brazen brass for the piping, etc.) then dip the figure into what?? a polyurethane like minwax? I am sure these thigns have been addressed earlier, but I'd like to experiment on some Horrors of Tzeentch.
Forcefed24
Forcefed24
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 436
Armies : Thousand Sons, Necrons, Tyranids

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue May 20, 2008 6:39 pm

I dipped a unit of Folgore from FOW yesterday and it came out pretty good. Although I'm seriously thinking about thinning down the stain because I had to end up doing a significant amount of soaking up afterward with a brush. .

Have you ever watered down your stain JC? .
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next