The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FoW tourney recap

+3
Hurricane
Ovich
luis the young
7 posters

Go down

FoW tourney recap Empty FoW tourney recap

Post by luis the young Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:44 am

Well, finally found some time to give a quick recap of the FoW tournament this past weekend and for people to leave some feedback also.

Tournament was fun, dont get to play FoW as much as i want to so getting in 3 games ina day is a BIG plus. I think Jerry did a pretty good job considering this is only the second tournament he runs ! I liked the 1750 games with 2 hours to play them, the 2 hour time limit is perfect for it, they go by so fast you dont even notice them.

Gratz to Will for getting first place !

Couple of things that would be nice to have improved by next tournament.
1- Tournament start time: most tournaments start playing at 12 with people asked to be at the store between 11-11:30am to check lists to make sure they are legal and to set up.
2- Lists should prob be submitted at least a day in advanced so the Judge can have them available and make sure they are legal and also not to have someone modify their list when they show up at the tournament.
3- Judge needs to be firm with Game start time and end time. When dice down is called, DICE ARE DOWN, people should make sure that they will be able to finish a full turn before they start one, i know it sucks sometimes when the game hangs on a turn, but such is the risks we take playing in tournaments. My game vs Stefan shouldve never gone as long as it did, we ran evryone late!
4- Missions, evryone should play the same missions on the first round, then diff mission on second round then a diff mission on turn 3, i liked the first mission, it was fun and challenging, for next time maybe have the winner decided by who has the most scoring units close to the objective or on the objective ( i shouldve never won with just a commisar on the hill, heh ) i think scoring units are defined in the Rule Book.
5- Judge rulings should be final, not have a game stopped for 20 mins while people look arround for the exact rulling on something.
6- Maybe some kind of extra prize for having painted armies and a Historical reference attached to the list would be nice.

Well, hope this helps on planning the next tournaments, had lots of fun and looking foward to participating in some more !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

FoW tourney recap Empty Re: FoW tourney recap

Post by Ovich Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Luis, I highlighted most of the things you said to Jerry in a private message. I don't want him to get the impression that we don't appreciate him taking the time out to run a tournament.

You basically echoed the same things I said.

Jerry , you sure you don't want to run another one at the end of the month?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Since I can't find anyone to go with me to Hurricon, it looks like I might be staying home. If that is the case, I will check with Joel to see if he wants to run a tourney next month and if he wants me to. Also, I will only do it if we get a minimum of 6 people. What does everyone think?
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:48 pm

luis the young wrote:
2- Lists should prob be submitted at least a day in advanced so the Judge can have them available and make sure they are legal and also not to have someone modify their list when they show up at the tournament.

I strongly agree with this, as I've mentioned before. Some people are arriving with out creating a list, or withfunky lists that need to be fixed at the last minute, taking up valuable time.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:52 pm

who could that be...Don by any chance? He's a great guy and a UM professor, but he still hasnt figured out how to use the force organization charts in the books.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:26 pm

In brief, I agree with all the suggestions and will implement them in the next tournament.
Yes I want to run another tournament.
I want to roll the actual cash back into the prize pool, that's what I do with LotR, but there are certain things that have to happen (like 4th and 5th prize be at least $12 and I want to verify the prize support from FOW).

There will not be a tournament this month due to a function that is already going to occur (magic tournament that runs all weekend long).

I really happy everyone had a good time despite my mismanagement.

Have to go.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Can't mess with Magic, can we? Even though Joel wanted a FOW tournament at the end of every month.

fuck him.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Ovich, having a FOW tournament schedule for the end of the cemented in place was due to the royal fuck up Joel cause.
So to avoid any confusion, we either have the FOW tournament the LAST day of the month or not AT ALL. Of course situations like the Magic tournament will cause the cancellation.

Magic is Joel's cash cow.

If Joel was remotely organize may be this would be different.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:39 pm

And who said that card games didn't keep a store going? Very Happy

I would disagree with Luis on having players play different missions in the second and third game. In most tournament situations I've seen organizers pick three missions from the rulebook (usually that can follow in some sort of historical/real life situation) and tell the players those missions before hand.

The reason they do this is so that players will practice with those missions before-hand and be familiar with the rules. This way there is no confusion as to what needs to occur in order to win, what the ambush and reserves rules are, etc.

Thats my suggestion anyways. Otherwise, good luck everyone!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:52 pm

I know Jerry, I'm just pissed. He has no other tournaments going on this month except Bills Apocalypse. He could have scheduled it at a different date... Or make it 1 day instead of 2
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Lets have it somewhere else! On a Saturday bounce We can all put in 10 bucks winner takes all bom
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Ovich wrote:I know Jerry, I'm just pissed. He has no other tournaments going on this month except Bills Apocalypse. He could have scheduled it at a different date... Or make it 1 day instead of 2

My shit aint good enough? Thats fucked up.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:30 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe Wiz Kidz or whoever owns Magic dictates to the stores when to have the tournament, so perhaps Joel is excused from that (the date of the tournament), but he still one of the most disorganize person's I know and that is not a good thing in this industry.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:26 pm

My shit aint good enough? Thats fucked up.

Bill,
What I meant to say was that yours was the only other Date taken. Joel should have set up the FOW tourney on a different date.. not be so rigid about the end of the month
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:59 am

Joel is a fuckup....no questions about it. pig And a piggy wiggy.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:47 pm

The reason Joel is so rigid on the FOW schedule is per my request. We (FOW community) had much confusion and people got upset (rightly) about the constant date changes in the June/July tournament. So to avoid this occurring in the future I ask Joel to make the last Sunday of every month the permanent date for FOW tournament.

So is the Magic Card tournament for this month the only date? May be, does Wiz Kidz make the dates? I really do not know. If not, then Joel pick a bad date as it conflicts with FOW tournament, but he may not have had any other choice.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content